PDA

View Full Version : Lens failure and lens question

Duane Parcells
12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Standard lens after a couple years. Scratches and coating failure.

Has anyone done much with a 4" lens. My machine is 75 watts and I need to cut 1/2 black walnut and ash. 2" lens leaves a concave cut (aiming made little difference) and a little more charring than I like. Has anyone used Laserbits 4" lens?

Dan Hintz
12-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Man, what do you use to clean that thing, a Brillo pad?!

Chuck Stone
12-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Man, what do you use to clean that thing, a Brillo pad?!

um .. you say that like it's a bad thing.. :confused:

tee hee :p

Duane Parcells
12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
cleaning... never more than cotton swabs and cleaner...
Miles and miles of mirrors. 75 watts at full power and
50% speed. Only the finest in sandblasting high quality
lens.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Dan, Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Duane, I have had my 1.5" lens since 2003 and it looks close to new and my 4" lens for 3-4 years and it still looks like new. I only use the original lens cleaner supplied with my laser and lens cleaning tissue. I will inspect my lens before each job and clean several times in a big job when needed but it gets cleaned each day of use. Just like a good mechanic always cleans his tools before putting them away, our lasers are a tool and needs to be maintained also.

What kind of laser do you have? (Now I see an Epilog) It doesn't show up in the topic review.

Do a search for lens here and there is a vendor that has very reasonable prices from what I have seen.

Hope this helps and ...

Barry Clark
12-07-2010, 4:40 PM
Link for lens Laser Research Optics (http://www.laserresearch.net/).

Michael Kowalczyk
12-07-2010, 5:58 PM
Thanks Barry, That's the one.

Rodne Gold
12-08-2010, 3:15 AM
Our lenses wear out in about 3 yrs too - 8 hrs a day , 5 days a week, a gazillion cleans a month take their toll - no matter how careful you are. Tubes , lenses , mirrors , motors , bearings , belts etc are "consumables" in terms of the machine
The 4" lens will cut thicker but have less power density so probably induce more charring - you will need to cut a lot slower and have a much bigger heat affected zone
You actually need a LOT more power to use it effectively - ideally you would want to be in the 200w+ region to cut your 1/2" thick wood well.