PDA

View Full Version : Spalting experiment - Maple Bowl

steven carter
12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I helped a buddy cut a maple tree from his yard a couple years ago and stored most of the wood in his walk-in basement and some I took home. Much to our surprise, his basement was a perfect spalting environment. I had roughed out a bowl blank with no spalting after having roughed out a couple of the bowls from the basement which had spalted. Wanting to see what would happen, I put the unspalted blank in a plastic garbage bag with some curlies from the spalted bowls, added some water and let sit. Actually I forgot about this until I came across it a while back. When I took it from the bag it was almost completely black. I let it sit and dry out for a few months. LOML wanted a bowl to give as a Christmas present so I thought I would finish turn it and see what it looked like. It ended up about 7 1/2" across and 3 1/4" tall. Finished with home brew oil and then a couple coats of WOP, then buffed and ren waxed.

Tim Rinehart
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Steven, nice bowl and rim detail. Gotta love that spalted wood...once you start turning and finishing spalted wood...other woods have a hard time competing, in my eye at least.
Nicely done!:)

Mark Hubl
12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice bowl. Spalted Maple is one of my favorites. Never quite know what you are going to get and you walk that fine line between turnable and punky. Good job.

bob svoboda
12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow! I really like your form and rim treatment..and THAT wood is great. Nicely done!

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Steve, nice bowl!! The spalting really adds some character, too. The spalting process can either be planned or not, but either way the results can be very rewarding.

Tony De Masi
12-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Steve, aside from what the wood brings to this bowl I really like the shape of this one and the rim detail. Really nice job.

dan carter
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
The old saying, " I'd rather be lucky than good " almost applies here, but then you did a good job, so I guess not. It is an attractive bowl.

charlie knighton
12-07-2010, 1:41 PM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
12-07-2010, 1:41 PM
Nice bowl. I find it fascinating to turn spalted wood. Never know whats going to appear and disappear along the way. I have tried spalting some holly and maple. It worked but not nearly as pretty as some that just happened on its own.