PDA

View Full Version : Banksia pod ornament

Tim Rinehart
12-07-2010, 9:25 AM
First a disclaimer...my photo skills suck. I've been turning stuff, but am too ashamed to post much because my photos don't do the pieces justice.

Ok, that being said, here's a nice seasonal ornament that came out nicely, I think. It was from a piece of banksia pod I had left over from another project, and uses some african blackwood for icicle and top.

The finish is one (maybe 2?) coats of natural danish oil.

Open to comments/critique. (piece only...not the photo :o)

bob svoboda
12-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Tim, my impression (no experience) is that banksia pod is problematic to turn. You did a very nice job on this and your form and finish are great. To my eye the top and icicle could be a bit more delicate, but that's just me. Overall, I think you can be proud of this effort!

David Reed
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Like this form very much. The shape of the primary form is great and like the way the top and bottom transition so well. I agree they could be a little slimmer. Nice work

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 3:50 PM
I like it... Banksia pods make for such interesting turnings.

Scott Hackler
12-07-2010, 4:01 PM
Tim,

I like that look... a lot!!!! Using the pod as the bulb works very well. I also really like the tapered pedant down to nothing. My only slight change suggestion would have been a smaller diameter disc about the onion. Looks a little to large for my taste.

Excellent work, now go make 30 more of them for the tree!!

Bruce Pratt
12-07-2010, 7:17 PM
Two questions on technique: Did you pre-turn the Banksia or glue-up all three pieces before turning? Did you turn it all between centers, or use a chuck & tenon at some point in the process?
--------
Bruce Pratt

Steve Mawson
12-07-2010, 8:28 PM
Don't worry about the photo. It is enough to give the ornament a good look which I like. Can't recall ever seeing one turned from a banksia pod. Looks good, might agree with other folks that the icicle could be a little more delicate. However overall very nice. How about dimensions??

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 9:17 PM
I have never turned on of those but it looks great. I agree that the finial could be more delicate. Don't be afraid to post pic's.

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 9:25 PM
Tim, I am going to go against the crowd here and say that I kind of like the proportions on this one. Yes, the finial could be more delicate, but this is a rustic, organic looking piece, and IMO, it fits. I also like the proportions of the disc under the finial because it fits the flow coming off the pod. My only change would be the bulbous projection from the bottom of the pod - I would have preferred just a globe.

Tim Rinehart
12-07-2010, 9:53 PM
I would agree that the proportions of the finial are a tad heavy, something I'm working to overcome with finials. I don't know if it's just my eye, or fear of getting too delicate that keeps me from going lighter. I'm with you all on that suggestion, thanks.

The suggestion by JK to remove the small little projection at the base of the bulb is a good one...I think I was trying to be too artistic and keep some 'available' material, vs keeping it simple, again, agree a simple globe would have sufficed, and then let the finial do the rest.

As to the how I did this piece, the bulb was on a waste block attached to its bottom half. I turned the shape, hollowed it out, glued on the top and finished it off, then turned a tenon (3/8" or so) on the bottom side of bulb (where waste block was).
Before completely parting the waste block, I removed the chuck and mounted it to my tailstock, and then jam chucked the bulb into a small vacuum chuck I have, and taped it down. I removed the chuck, pulled up a center, and finished off the tenon and bulb to accept a roughed out finial with a mortise in it. I then finished out the finial.
I think there are easier ways to do this...I just kinda jumped in and started doing it and looked for ways to mount as I go. Didn't think it would be that tough, but it was a little bit of a pain, vs ornaments glued up after all turning done.

Oh, I have probably mentioned this before, but I learned a nice technique for the pods and keeping from losing the 'eyes' and getting a nice finish, from David Datwyler, who did a demo I saw at one of our clubs.

When you have the pod pretty much at final outside form, and sanded with 120, clean out the eyes THOROUGHLY and then with the lathe turning slowly (if possible to keep from slinging CA, otherwise, by hand is ok) apply medium CA liberally and work in till it develops a tacky feel. I wear a nitrile glove...he goes bare hands. Icks.:rolleyes:
While tacky, start sanding again and work the slurry into the little crooks and crannies, not necessarily the eyes. Do this till it starts looking dry, and then work up to 600 grit or so. You'll probably have to change the 120 sandpaper in the beginning, as it loads up alot during that initial sanding of the slurry.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
First a disclaimer...my photo skills suck. I've been turning stuff, but am too ashamed to post much because my photos don't do the pieces justice.

Ok, that being said, here's a nice seasonal ornament that came out nicely, I think. It was from a piece of banksia pod I had left over from another project, and uses some african blackwood for icicle and top.

The finish is one (maybe 2?) coats of natural danish oil.

Open to comments/critique. (piece only...not the photo :o)

Nice job Tim, I like it a lot, love the look of it, thanks for showing :)

Baxter Smith
12-08-2010, 8:56 AM
Very different, very nice!

Mark Hubl
12-08-2010, 6:04 PM
Looks good to me. I have heard these pods are a challenge. I like the top treatment, but agree the little bulge at the bottom may not be needed. Nice job.