PDA

View Full Version : I should have thought of it sooner!

Bob Haverstock
12-07-2010, 8:25 AM
Hi,

I had an urn that I rough turned last spring that I wanted to finish. When I was rough turning it, I had a senior moment and drilled a 2" hole all the way through it. I thought that I could plug the hole and save it. The problem was that I had green turned it and now the urn was oval. ( yes, I know, it's a long story)

I needed to grasp the open end of the urn and place a jam chuck in the 2" hole. The clean up turning could then be done. I didn't have a chuck big enough to hold the open end. I'm a retired machinist and have a small machine shop.

I thought about this urn all summer, then it dawned on me that my Wood River chuck has a 1.5" x 8 tpi adapter that fits my Nova 1.25" X 8 tpi spindle. So with the Wood River Adapter, I installed an old 6" 4 jaw chuck on the Nova. Now, I could use the steady rest and true up the unwanted hole and plug it.

Bob Haverstock

steven carter
12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Bob, better late than never! Glad you figured it out, hope you post the finished urn.

Steve

Mark Hubl
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Well, good save Bob.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Great save Bob. Sometimes you just gotta sit them down and think a while.

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 3:48 PM
Sounds like a nice save, but I think we'll require photos as proof!:D

Bob Haverstock
12-07-2010, 7:32 PM
Hi Folks,

The save wasn't a deal. I did a poor job of writing the post. What I wanted to say was that by using the WoodRiver adapter I was able to use a metal lathe chuck on my Nova.

Bob Haverstock