PDA

View Full Version : Money Managment Software

Tom Winship
12-07-2010, 8:23 AM
What is everyone using for their financial software (checkbook primarily)? Money recently cratered on us and of course there is no support. Going to buy something today.

Darius Ferlas
12-07-2010, 8:26 AM
I've been using quicken for the last 16 years or so. Good features and easy to use.

Brian Elfert
12-07-2010, 9:13 AM
I quit using Money because online services were discontinued. I use Quicken 2010 now because it is one of the only choices that still runs on the PC. There are a number of web services including Mint.com, but I have never used them. The conversion utility in Quicken converted my Money file perfectly except I had to setup online services again.

There are a number of things that are frustrating about Quicken after using Money for years. If a bill is due, it tends to ask if every transaction is that bill. If the amounts and payee are way off, DON'T ask me! If I do say yes that a transaction matches a bill, why can't it automatically fill in the category? (Money had no issue with this.)

Jeff Monson
12-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I quit using Money because online services were discontinued. I use Quicken 2010 now because it is one of the only choices that still runs on the PC. There are a number of web services including Mint.com, but I have never used them. The conversion utility in Quicken converted my Money file perfectly except I had to setup online services again.

There are a number of things that are frustrating about Quicken after using Money for years. If a bill is due, it tends to ask if every transaction is that bill. If the amounts and payee are way off, DON'T ask me! If I do say yes that a transaction matches a bill, why can't it automatically fill in the category? (Money had no issue with this.)

Brain, doesnt sound like you like Quicken too well? I'm still using Microsoft Money for my home use, but I know its just a matter of time till I have to switch. I wish they would have kept up with that software as its really easy to use and navigate through. I use Quickbooks for my business, its great software but a little much for a personal checking account.

Art Mulder
12-07-2010, 1:05 PM
I use Budget from SnowmintCS (http://snowmintcs.com/), but have also considered MoneyWell (http://nothirst.com/moneywell/). But switching is very hard. Inertia rules! :p
Both follow the envelope system of budgeting. Both work on the Mac. Both are small companies that seem to be fairly responsive and update regularly.

Never thought Quicken made much sense, but clearly I'm in the vast minority. :D

Jim Becker
12-08-2010, 9:52 PM
I've been using Quicken since one of the first versions many years ago.

Eddie Watkins
12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Like Jim, I have used Quicken for years. I am currently using Quicken Real Property Manager 2010.
Brian, I get notification for the bill that matches only. I'm not sure how we may have our bills set up differently but you might try using the Quicken technical or forum forum to see if you can set up your bills differently so it will only notify you of only the one due.

Brian Elfert
12-13-2010, 6:24 PM
Brain, doesnt sound like you like Quicken too well? I'm still using Microsoft Money for my home use, but I know its just a matter of time till I have to switch. I wish they would have kept up with that software as its really easy to use and navigate through. I use Quickbooks for my business, its great software but a little much for a personal checking account.

Not right now I'm not liking it so much. It seems like I need to do some research.

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2010, 6:54 PM
I've been using quicken for the last 16 years or so. Good features and easy to use.

+1 on Quicken. I've been using it since sometime in the 90's. I wouldn't even think of using anything else.

Peter Aeschliman
12-13-2010, 7:23 PM
Mint.com! It's free too. I absolutely love it. It automatically takes the transactions from multiple credit cards and bank accounts and classifies them for you. If you want to set up custom categories, it does that as well (and starts to "learn" which transactions should get categorized into those custom categories). It also takes more of a net worth approach than I'm used to... It communicates with banks on loan balances, etc.

Check it out. It's free, so if you don't like it, there's no downside. This is coming from a Financial Analyst here.

Dave Lehnert
12-13-2010, 8:31 PM
Mint.com! It's free too. I absolutely love it. It automatically takes the transactions from multiple credit cards and bank accounts and classifies them for you. If you want to set up custom categories, it does that as well (and starts to "learn" which transactions should get categorized into those custom categories). It also takes more of a net worth approach than I'm used to... It communicates with banks on loan balances, etc.

Check it out. It's free, so if you don't like it, there's no downside. This is coming from a Financial Analyst here.

I looked into Mint some time ago but was a little concerned with security. All your info is uploaded and not stored on your PC.
What is your opinion on Mint security?

Karl Brogger
12-13-2010, 9:48 PM
I haven't balanced my personal checking account since the 90's.

I haven't balanced/reconciled my company checking account since I did my taxes for 09' back in January. I used to do it a couple times a week, I should really get back to that.

Eric Franklin
12-14-2010, 6:43 AM
I've been using YNAB (You need a budget) for about 6 months and I've been really happy with it. It's not designed for tracking investments but it works great for checking and savings. It also has one of the best budgeting systems out there. It works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Tom Winship
12-14-2010, 8:23 AM
Since starting this thread, it looked like Quicken is the most used one so we went down to BB last week and bought one. Being the big spender that I am, we bought the "Basic" model for $29.95. I does everything that Money used to do for us and we are quite happy with it to this point.
Thanks for your input.