PDA

View Full Version : Face Shields

Tim Thiebaut
12-07-2010, 1:06 AM
Howdy all, one of my past times here lately is going back and reading almost every post in the turners forum, I have to do something while waiting for my lathe to get here, I started at the very last post and am working my way forward to the newest. Anyway, one thing I have seen recently is several posts on the different face shields avalible. I do not have the extra money for one of the fancy power vent ones, I did read a post about the Bionics Face Shield w/anti-fog coating, amazon has one for a decent price. What do you all use for face shields, recomendations? As always thanks for the input, T

Jim Sebring
12-07-2010, 1:16 AM
I recently bought a face shield from Grizzly Tools. It has an adjustment knob in back for tightening/loostening the headband. It's the best pure shield I've seen. It doesn't do a thing for your lungs, though. You need to find a respirator you can afford.

I'm allergic to dust so must use a PAPR (powered air purification respirator) or will die way too young.

Ken Hill
12-07-2010, 5:45 AM
I use an el cheapo from the local farm store, and wear a dust mask under it when needed. Ive been hit 3 times in the face and all 3 times never felt a thing as it did its job! Im no safety nazi, but please make sure you have one on regardless of what brand it is! I think if I did not have a DC drop at the lathe when sanding i would invest in one of the powered air shields, still might !

Tim Thiebaut
12-07-2010, 6:15 AM
Hi Ken, I will diffenently wear one, without a doubt, I have done a little turning years ago and have as you said an el cheapo, but I hate it, the bottom has no support and always digs into my neck/chest while looking down, it is a pain. And I do have a very good DC system I have had for years as I have done a lot of flat work throughout the years, I have one leg of my DC already positioned where my lathe will set so I should be ok in the regard. Thanks for all of the input here I appreciated all of it! T

Ken Hill
12-07-2010, 6:21 AM
Sears had one on sale a few weeks back, it was around $330 or so. Trend Airshield Pro I believe is what most here seemed to recommend. I have some spalted maple that i will be sanding in the coming weeks and may try and pick on of these up myself. If I could only find where I put the money tree......

Cheapest I found running a google search... http://www.toolorbit.com/Trend/Trend-AIR-PRO.html

Chris Colman
12-07-2010, 8:34 AM
OK, creekers, let me have it, but, all I usually wear is a pair of bifocal safety glasses. I only wear a shield when turning off corners of a square piece, or roughing a split log, or something likely to spit pieces. No head strikes yet, no close calls.

I have a dust collector intake right behind the workpiece, so dust is not a problem.

And I run on the low side of the rpm range. Maybe that helps me.

Alan Trout
12-07-2010, 8:39 AM
I use the UVEX face shield. I think this is the place that I bought it. It is great and very strong light and comfortable. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/uvex-bionic-face-shield.html
I also use this face mask with the P100 magenta color filters for dust. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-6000-series-half-facepiece-dust-and-sanding-respirator-assembly.html It is also comfortable and light and fits under the face shield and very inexpensive. It can be purchased from Home Depot as well as the replacement filters so they are always easy to get. This may not be a Trend pro but it is a reasonably priced set up that does offer a good level of protection.

Alan

Alan Zenreich
12-07-2010, 8:49 AM
For face protection, whenever we are not using a powered respirator faceshield, my wife and I use a Bionic shield. Comfortable, and they don't distort the optical view. A nice addition to any shop.

greg a bender
12-07-2010, 8:53 AM
I too am in the market for a good full face shield. Something that will fit over my face and eyeglasses and stay on my head. (I have very long hair). I have good dust collection.

I look forward the reading what you all use.

Greg

Bob Bergstrom
12-07-2010, 9:18 AM
+1 for Bionic. Great shield. Just don't wipe dust out with a paper towel, wood fibers will leave scratches. Use air or wet the towel first.

Pinwu Xu
12-07-2010, 9:24 AM
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Works-817893-Adjustable/dp/B00009363F/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t (http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Works-817893-Adjustable/dp/B00009363F/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t)

or the fancier http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Protection-S8500-Bionic-Shield/dp/B001VXXUWK/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Regards.

Pinwu

Roger Chandler
12-07-2010, 9:26 AM
The bionic face shield is good! I got one from Amazon as well for around $22.00, and you can get replacement shields for the frame. It is a sturdy and very comfortable shield and has the best adjustment for sizing the headband.

I also have the Trend Airshield pro for sanding and a dust collector hook up behind the lathe. You only get one set of lungs!

Michael Mills
12-07-2010, 9:48 AM
[QUOTE=Chris Colman; 1577857] all I usually wear is a pair of bifocal safety glasses. QUOTE]
Any large item may still become dislodged. Safety glasses will not protect your nose or chompers. A member of our club had a bowl come loose (he had been turning small items and forgot to lower the lathe speed). As soon as he hit the switch, Bam. :( Luckily he had mounted a switch on the right hand end of the lathe and was leaning over; black, purple, and blue from the elbow to the shoulder.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
+1 for the bionic face shield. I also have the 3M respirator when sanding. Chris you might have a DC intake but it sure doesn't get all the dust.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I use the el cheapo from the BORG. Almost all the time. I really am hesitant to get the 300 buck powered ones, since my shield gets sap and CA all over it, and eventually need to toss it out. I use a painter's mask for the dust and organics. The organics are the harmful particles, if you can smell what you're turning, you're getting the orgaincs, so I use a VOC rated painters mask. I have been hit in the face with dislodged bark chunks and my scraper handle. The face shield takes the hit, and the dust mask keeps the shield from hitting my nose or throat. Last time I bought it it was ANSI rated, so I feel "safer"..

What ever you decide, use SOMETHING... If you're getting sight challenged, the BORG has those reading safety glasses.... Very handy. They're also good with the shield, as some particles may find it's way around the shield. I haven't seen that yet though.....