PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Juniper

David Reed
12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
When on a road trip through Utah last October, I was very impressed with the ancient Juniper trees and their exotic shapes. I often found myself imagining what the wood grain could look like but due to their age, assumed they were not to be removed. On my way out of the state I passed a truck towing a trailer filled with cut Juniper. I nearly turned around, took chase and flagged them down, but my conscience (aka wife) got the better of me as we drove on.
Do any of you desert southwest woodworkers use this wood? Is the wood grain interesting? Does anyone have any which may be made available? Specifically, I would love a trunk near the base including that wonderful fluted butt swell.
Food for thought.

Curt Fuller
12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
David, I've turned a little juniper. The tree you see so commonly in Utah is actually even called Utah Juniper http://extension.usu.edu/range/Woody/utahjuniper.htm . Around here you can go to the local farm store and buy pretty big trunks for fence posts. In Southern Utah they chain drag hundreds of acres of it every year to provide more grass for cattle grazing. But most that I've tried to turn with any size are hollow and rotten inside. Further up the trunk there is usually some pretty good smaller wood though. It has most of the same characteristics as red cedar with the exception of the color. Utah juniper is more of a caramel color with some darker browns. I know what you mean about the ancient shapes. It's one of those trees that seems to hang on to nothing and still thrive. Here's a little story about the Jardine Juniper that gives a little perspective on just how ancient they are. http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/tourFames.cgi?tour_id=1027

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 6:41 AM
Curt, that is some fascinating info on the Utah juniper! Had no idea. Thanks, David for asking and Curt for answering.

Roland Martin
12-07-2010, 6:56 AM
Wow, that is one knarly tree! Thanks David & Curt.

charlie knighton
12-07-2010, 8:44 AM
ditto.......

David Reed
12-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes Curt, thanks for the link. I am kind of a tree junkie and was constantly oogling at the trees all over the National Parks of Utah. Very impressed with their size (small) and age (large).

Al Wasser
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Utah juniper and One seed juniper are closely related. Separately or in combination they occupy vast acreages in the SW - Colo, NM, Ariz, Utah. These and other junipers tend to split and crack very easily. I have not turned any but have split a lot of firewood. I think turning a bowl would be an exercise in frustration.