PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a 15" planer?

Bob Johnson2
01-02-2005, 4:43 PM
Got my DC and TS figured out, well almost, and I'm left with just picking a 15" planer for roughly $1000. Can anyone point me towards an artical or let me know what I should be looking for? I know to check for ease of blade change/alignment and how much snipe you get, although I really don't know HOW to check for either. What else should I be looking at? I've noticed that some have the motor on top, some beneath, is one better then the other? From the prices I'd guess at the ones on top are not as desirable. I'm also taking it for granted that they all do pretty much the same job so ease of maint and price are my biggest concerns. How about infeed/outfeed tables or rollers?

Thanks
Bob

Jim Dunn
01-02-2005, 5:08 PM
What about chip/dust collection. Seems that's one question you forgot to ask, and it would be the 1st question my wife would ask besides how much :)

I can't answer any of your questions as I'm a newbie to all this.

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 5:31 PM
Bob -

You have covered most of the bases. Chip extraction is definitely one of the primary factors. My PM 15" planer had the chip chute coming straight off the cutter head. The DC hose sometimes gets in the way of the stock as it comes out. There are angled DC hoods available and I think that would help that problem.

Does the table move or does the cutter head move? If you want (have room for) some long infeed/outfeed support, having a fixed table makes it easier. That said, the PM 15" has a movable table and attached roller supports provide sufficient support. So not a factor for me.

Motor HP - in the 3HP range. A spiral cutter head will move the machine out of your price range.

Regards,
Ted

Bob Johnson2
01-02-2005, 6:18 PM
I think I get the movable table thing now, on some units the lower platform actually moves, as opposed to just the upper. I've never used one where the lower table moved, I suppose I'd get used to either.

I had figured that they all had decent chip collection with a decent DC system, one more thing to look into. Thanks

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 6:25 PM
Funny thing about most of the 15" stationary planers...they are pretty much identical with either the motor over or motor under designs. Many of them are made by Gee-Tec no matter what the color! Same with the 20" units that are only a "few" bucks more...

As to the tables moving thing...my Mini Max combo has a table that moves up and down. I have NO snipe problem and don't use auxiliary supports other than my own hands, even for very long boards. So unless a unit has a poor feed roller design, it shouldn't matter either way...pick your preference. All IMHO, of course...

Robert E Lee
01-02-2005, 7:22 PM
Bob, Popular Woodworking Feb, 2005 issue #146 has a review of 8 15" planners on page 80.
Bob

Bob Johnson2
01-02-2005, 9:17 PM
Thanks all, I kind of had the idea there wans't enough difference to matter which I picked, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some thing I didn't know about. I'll check out the artical and get this done.

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 9:33 PM
Bob -

One other thing . . . . . If you can find a used one that works, go for it. Not too much to go wrong in one of those.

Ted

Steve Cox
01-02-2005, 10:20 PM
I have an old Rockwell/Invicta 13" that has been great. Motor over, 2hp induction, had to build my own dust hood but it works fine. I much prefer it to anything new I have seen. I'd go used if you can find one.

Bob Johnson2
01-03-2005, 6:47 AM
I'd love to go used on both a planer and a table saw, unfortunatly they are few and far between around here. Anyone got one for sale within driving distance???