PDA

View Full Version : Delta T2 (36-T30) on a Grizzly G1023?

Joshua Meuser
12-06-2010, 9:34 PM
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a hundred times before, but I am a newbe and here goes...

I recently purchased a Grizzly G1023 table saw from a local woodworker and I would like to replace the fence system that it came with. I have played around for a couple of hours trying to square the fence that the saw came with and have come to the conclusion that the fence is broken/not functioning properly/etc. and Im ready to invest.

I have read plenty of good reviews of the Delta T2 fence system (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-36-T30-30-Inch-Fence-System/dp/B000H0R1S2/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1291688365&sr=1-9)and am looking for some advice from some of the more experienced folks on this site as to whether or not this would be a good fit for my new saw.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Josh

Scott Barrera
12-06-2010, 9:54 PM
Hey Josh, welcome to the creek. How about telling us what fence is on it and we can try to help you with it? Most of the stock grizzly fences were pretty decent.

Joshua Meuser
12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey Josh, welcome to the creek. How about telling us what fence is on it and we can try to help you with it? Most of the stock grizzly fences were pretty decent.

Here is a pic of the existing fence. I have tried adjusting it (per the manual) and it always tightens so that the rear of the fence is closer to the blade than the front. This causes the fence to "pinch" the wood as it is being cut. I also get a lot of burning along the edge grain. Thanks for the help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/SawFence.jpg

Jim Andrew
12-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I had an old saw with a delta fence like yours years ago. It had a couple bolts you could loosen to adjust the fence square to the blade. Have you tried adjusting it? As to that delta fence, it looks like a Bies clone. The Biesmeier is the best.

Joshua Meuser
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I had an old saw with a delta fence like yours years ago. It had a couple bolts you could loosen to adjust the fence square to the blade. Have you tried adjusting it? As to that delta fence, it looks like a Bies clone. The Biesmeier is the best.

Hey Jim, Thanks for the input on this. The fence that I have has two bolts on the top that allow the fence to be squared up to the blade, however after repeated attempts to do so, I still find that when clamping the fence down tight, it looses square.

Do you think I would be better off with the Delta? I know my saw is a 1999 model, so Im not sure where that puts the stock fence in terms of "goodness" :D

Kevin W Johnson
12-07-2010, 2:13 AM
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a hundred times before, but I am a newbe and here goes...

I recently purchased a Grizzly G1023 table saw from a local woodworker and I would like to replace the fence system that it came with. I have played around for a couple of hours trying to square the fence that the saw came with and have come to the conclusion that the fence is broken/not functioning properly/etc. and Im ready to invest.

I have read plenty of good reviews of the Delta T2 fence system (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-36-T30-30-Inch-Fence-System/dp/B000H0R1S2/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1291688365&sr=1-9)and am looking for some advice from some of the more experienced folks on this site as to whether or not this would be a good fit for my new saw.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Josh

Since this is a new to you, used acquisition, have you checked that the blade is adjusted properly in the saw, and that its square to the miter slot?

Jim Andrew
12-07-2010, 6:41 AM
Kevin brings up a good point, checking to see if your blade is parallel to the table is probably the first thing you should check. Second, you can use a tape measure to check if your fence is parallel to the groove for the miter gauge. If you can't get the fence parallel to the groove, I'd probably put some pressure on it when retightening the bolts and see if I could not get the fence parallel with the groove. Might be that old fence is serviceable. If not, check what Grizzly has to offer. They have a biesmeier clone on their current saws.

scott spencer
12-07-2010, 7:15 AM
The T2 is typically regarded as one of the better bangs for the buck going. IIRC, Tools-Plus has it for ~ $156.50 shipped.

With that said, it's worth noting that the T2 has smaller lighter tubing than fences like the Biesemeyer Commercial fence, Jet Exacta II, and the Shop Fox Classic, which tend to be a bit stouter and stiffer. The T2 was stock equipment on some of the Delta contractor saws and hybrids, but was never stock on a full industrial saw like a Uni AFAIK. It's around $100 more, but I think I'd rather with the SF Classic which would give you a stouter fence that was original equipment on many Griz 1023's for much of the past decade or so. Here's one for $250 shipped (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-W2006-SHOP-FOX-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs-/370463797303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56415cf037)

http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/shopfox2/fox1124/W2006.jpg http://www.homeconstructionimprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Grizzly-G1023SL-10-inch-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V-Left-Tilt.jpg

Curt Harms
12-07-2010, 8:41 AM
I bought a G1023 a couple years before yours was made--'97 or so. That fence was sorry!! I have a Mule fence I'm happy with but it can't be lifted off like the shop fox classic, T2 etc., it has to be slid off the end of the rail.

Scott Barrera
12-07-2010, 1:43 PM
After seeing what you have I'd go ahead and replace it. My unisaw had one like that on it which I replaced with a Biesemeyer - absolutely no comparison IMO. I had a contractor saw with the Delta fence - If I remember right it rode on the front angle iron rail vs. sliding on the saw top. This was a problem for me with trying to install an outfeed table etc. The Delta fence, while good, was not as good as the Bies (also IMO). I think if you could get the Shop Fox clone for $250 that would be a good deal.

Joshua Meuser
12-07-2010, 9:44 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. I did square the blade up to the miter slot and was able to adjust the fence so that it would SIT square to the miter slot / blade, however as soon as I would release it, reposition it, and then retighten it, it would loose square again.

I really like the Shop Fox that was shown above. $250 is not that bad. I certainly appreciate all of the helpful folks here on the Creek.