PDA

View Full Version : Robust comfort bowl rest workout

Reed Gray
12-06-2010, 8:44 PM
I had to put them aside for a couple of weeks while getting smaller things ready for a Christmas show, but gave them a work out today. I have had a 26 inch diameter madrone log just waiting for the experience.

Up until today, I have used the Oneway big/deep bowl rests. Besides the difference the drill rod makes, there is a considerable difference in shapes. The outside Oneway is about 19 inch diameter (cut from a circle that size, or bent to that diameter. I frequently found it to be too shallow for a lot of my bowls. The inside is closer to 14 inches, but isn't a true arc of a circle, more of a J shape. The Robust rests are both about 12 inch diameter. All of the tool rests are about 12 inches long. My madrone big bowl finished out at 22 inch diameter, and 7 plus inches deep. The outside Robust tool rest was a bit too tight to use on the outside (22 inch diameter to 12 inch diameter arc). The inside rest was tighter than the bowl radius, but since I had to turn it down to finish thickness in stages, it didn't matter. Biggest difference in performance was the inside rest did not vibrate even a tiny but when working way out on the tip. This was a bit of a problem with the Oneway rest for me, I just had to work slower.

I love the drill rod on the bowl rests. Huge improvement over cast iron, and a good step up from cold rolled and stainless steel.

I don't know about the inside rest shape. All of them I have used up till now, have been more J shaped which does fit the inside of a bowl a bit better (Oneway, and blue cast one from Craft Supplies). I think I can still make a bevel rubbing cut from rim to bottom, as long as I have the proper bevel that lets me do that (60 degrees or so). I am not comfortable with it yet, but would think that would be more of a 'getting used to it' thing.

Generally pretty good shape for bowls up to 14 inches or so, a bit more difficult on bigger bowls, but bigger bowls are more of a specialty market. I am not ready to retire the Oneway rests yet, but I will never part with the Rubust rests.

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
12-06-2010, 8:50 PM
The curved rests look like they would be nice to use, and it's good hearing that vibration at the tip wasn't there...or not much compared to the Oneway.

I saw that Woodcraft is now selling them...may have to leave a subtle hint with LOML...like, a coupon I have with big letters "ROBUST CURVED TOOL REST"!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 8:57 PM
Good info. Thanks for sharing Reed.

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2010, 9:00 PM
I have been thinking of making some more like the regular "S" style or an "Ogee"sort of thing with the hardened rod on top. I have a good plan in my mind I just have to get time to get them fabricated and tempered. Just never enough time to get everything done.

Robust beat me to the punch! Glad they work good though.

Jeff

Tim Rinehart
12-06-2010, 9:11 PM
Jeff, when you get your plan in place...I'll definitely commit to one of each size! Let me know...I know it's tough this time of year with so many demands.

I have been thinking of making some more like the regular "S" style or an "Ogee"sort of thing with the hardened rod on top. I have a good plan in my mind I just have to get time to get them fabricated and tempered. Just never enough time to get everything done.

Robust beat me to the punch! Glad they work good though.

Jeff

Reed Gray
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
This is the tool rest from Craft Supplies that I use. I love the J shape, but don't like the broad surface because it makes it almost impossible to lower your handle. S curves never made sense to me, so I never tried one. It does have two mounting spots on the under side for using inside and outside, but I thought it too much trouble to change the post for inside and outside, and it works fine without having to move the post.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/large/s-curve-rest_l.jpg

robo hippy

Hilel Salomon
12-07-2010, 1:06 PM
I've got a whole bunch of rests (what else is new) including the modular ones, the Oneway curved, and the straight robust ones. I agree with Reed. I had the one he points out from Craft Supplies sitting for several years and have started to use it in SC. I'm buying another one for VA. I've found that the "s" shape (Reed refers to it as the J shape) has actually improved both my form and is great for the inside of bowls. I love the robust ones for spindle and very close up work and I think that the Oneways are good. Some time ago , I had a fellow who no longer does it, sell me two straight double round rests, and they are very good as well. I can't recommend the modular ones but that may be me. Anyone interested in buying them pm me.

bob svoboda
12-07-2010, 1:28 PM
Appreciate your taking the time to do such a nice comparison. This will help when I decide to get away from the stock PM rest. Thanks.

Reed Gray
12-07-2010, 1:54 PM
This is the design that I consider an S shape, I guess the Craft Supplies one could be considered a 'cursive' J. I guess my point is this shape fits inside bowls better than an arc of a circle.

When it comes down to it, I can see having several different radius tool rests for bowls, both inside and outside forms, and large and small bowls. Maybe a lot of tool rest changing, but less moving the banjo, and the ability to make the rim to bottom of the bowl cut in one pass.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71FJHSyyNuL._AA1500_.jpg

robo hippy

Nathan Hawkes
12-07-2010, 2:13 PM
Thanks for your review, Reed!!! I have been curious about these. Is the overall reach of the rest equivalent to the Oneway interior curved rest? I need a better way of making finish cuts.

Jeff Nicol
12-07-2010, 2:27 PM
Reed, I was kind of thinking like a double "S" with a soft curve at each end that will go along the tenon on the outside and follow the bottom a bit more on the inside. The last picture is close to what I am planning, just need to get through Christmas and our grandson's 1st birthday on the 21st and then I can get back my creative mode!

I am always trying to improve on the mousetrap somewhere!

Jeff

Reed Gray
12-07-2010, 2:44 PM
There are a couple of ways to measure it, but in standard bowl turning position, you get 7 1/2 inches off the inside/closest to the bowl part of the tool rest post. If you point it in for max depth, you could get 8 1/2 inches. The Oneway rest, because of the more J shape reaches about an inch deeper. If you hang your tool off the rest a bit, you can go deeper.

robo hippy