PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing solvent?

Bill Miltner
12-06-2010, 8:04 PM
I recently purchased a "lot" of machinist layout tools at an auction. Some of them are covered in grease/oil.What is a good solvent to remove the oil? Mineral spirits doesn't seem to cut it.

Russell Smallwood
12-06-2010, 8:47 PM
I like Peels Plus:

Peels Plus (http://www.peelsplus.com/)

Don Jarvie
12-06-2010, 9:06 PM
Super Kleen in the purple bottle at the auto parts store. Add some to some hot water and let them soak and the grease is gone. I buy the gallon jug.

Note that it will also take off paint also so be careful if you want the paint to stay.

Paul Saffold
12-06-2010, 9:18 PM
Is Peels Plus in stores or only online?

Bill Huber
12-06-2010, 9:23 PM
+1 for Super Clean, it is great stuff for just about everything that needs to be cleaned.

Bill Miltner
12-06-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I should have added that I don't like to use water on "bare" metal items.

Bo McCorkle
12-06-2010, 9:39 PM
Zep 45. It's actually a penetrating oil but it cuts thru the grease really well. I use it when I can't. See the graduations and such on boring bars in a horizontal mill. Good stuff.

Russell Smallwood
12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Is Peels Plus in stores or only online?

I bought some from Highland Hardware long ago. Haven't looked for it in stores recently. Don't see any "where to buy" links on their website either. Must be direct only.

Works pretty well on cosmoline and it doesn't stink, in fact, smells kinda nice :)

I'm sure its not as effective as more industrial-strength stuff, but it works just fine for me and its environmentally friendly.

Jack Pinkham
12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Gunk engine cleaner, chlorinated brake cleaner, LA Amazing Orange Cleaner or All Purpose Cleaner from Dollar Tree. Tide and hot water.

David Christopher
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
diesel fuel or gasoline

Jack Pinkham
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
diesel fuel or gasoline

I'll admit to using gasoline. Could be dangerous. I remember as a kid going to the Flying A station and getting a glass gallon cider jug filled with gasoline and then lugging it home to clean some Doodlebug parts.

Chuck Saunders
12-07-2010, 8:37 AM
Super Clean, wear Gloves it removes paint and skin

Automatic transmission fluid, cleans well, no water, low flammability

Rich Engelhardt
12-08-2010, 6:05 AM
diesel fuel or gasoline

IN GOD WE TRUST

Good thing you trust Him - you may meet up with Him PDQ using gasoline as a cleaning agent ;)

+1 to trying ATF.
IIRC, Dexron works a bit better.

Howard Acheson
12-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Kerosene is excellent. It is the preferred solvent to clean up cosmoline and other thick, gunky petroleum based greases and preservatives.

Cody Colston
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Naptha or gasoline is what I would use.

Ask a mechanic what they use. Forum woodworkers tend to see danger in using anything stronger than distilled water. :rolleyes:

Bill Edwards(2)
12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Good heavens! I used to wash my hands in the open cleaning tank (full of
gasoline) at my father's sevice station.

I wouldn't back up a tanker and hose the equipment down, but gasoline is
only as dangerous as you make it and it does cleans oil, grease, sludge, etc.

Chuck Saunders
12-08-2010, 7:45 PM
Good heavens! I used to wash my hands in the open cleaning tank (full of
gasoline) at my father's sevice station.

I wouldn't back up a tanker and hose the equipment down, but gasoline is
only as dangerous as you make it and it does cleans oil, grease, sludge, etc.

Now if you had said you washed you hands in the hot-tank, I would have been impressed. ;)

Bryan Morgan
12-08-2010, 8:53 PM
Super Kleen in the purple bottle at the auto parts store. Add some to some hot water and let them soak and the grease is gone. I buy the gallon jug.

Note that it will also take off paint also so be careful if you want the paint to stay.

I use this stuff too. Its some kind of acid and will also remove layers of skin, so be careful. :) I also found this stuff in a big spray can, Orange Degreaser or something like that... almost like brake cleaner. Works good to strip the shipping grease from Asian made tools and cosmoline from rifles. :)