PDA

View Full Version : First Lidded Box

Dick Parr
01-02-2005, 4:16 PM
Well here is my first lidded box. Yesterday's Woodturning Techniques had lidded boxes as the project and Big Mike has been showing so many nice ones, I thought it was time to try one. It was a snap lid box, but after a little while of air drying it loosened up and no longer snaps together. :( With Kevin's help identifying the wood, this is made from birch and is 4-1/2" x 3-3/8". Thought it was, but when I turned it and saw all the brown inside and having never turned anything in birch before, I wasn't sure. In the past I have only noticed birch from the outside. :D

This was a challenge to make having never made one before, but it was a lot of fun also. Now I see why Big Mike likes to make them all the time. This was sanded to 600 grit and I used Mylands sealer and friction polish and then used Renaissance wax.

Thanks for looking

Jim Ketron
01-02-2005, 4:20 PM
Very Nice box Dick!
good start to the new year!
Jim

Michael Stafford
01-02-2005, 4:43 PM
Mighty nice, Mr. Parr, mighty nice indeed. :D

Keep up the good work, I love all boxes as you know! ;)

John Shuk
01-02-2005, 7:14 PM
Nice piece Dick. That is a nice hunk of Birch as well. It has some
pretty grain to it.
John

John Miliunas
01-02-2005, 8:25 PM
You done good, Dick. REAL good!:) I've done a few, back "in the day" when I knew that my lathe still worked!:rolleyes: They can be addicting, almost like pens. It appears that you have your finishing technique(s) down pretty well, too! Nice job.:) :cool:

Joe Breid
01-02-2005, 8:51 PM
Dick,
Very Nice!! You do a great job on anything you choose to turn.

Joe

Dave Right
01-04-2005, 1:56 PM
Dick - that is a beauty! Another keeper!

Mark Singer
01-04-2005, 3:13 PM
That is terrific work!!!