PDA

View Full Version : Hanging upper cabinets on lathe and plaster

Craig D Peltier
12-06-2010, 6:20 PM
Any tricks to this? Uts for kitchen uppers and lowers.
From what I read there are some supposed stud finders than can find the studs since they search for density.
I imagine I can measure 16 over and start drilling test holes but it will be hard to pinpoint such center.

Karl Brogger
12-06-2010, 6:34 PM
Got any outlets? There' more than likely a stud to one side or the other of an outlet.

Find a spot that will be covered and take a punch or framing nail and poke around till you find one, then measure out the rest and double check them.

Craig D Peltier
12-06-2010, 6:40 PM
Got any outlets? There' more than likely a stud to one side or the other of an outlet.

Find a spot that will be covered and take a punch or framing nail and poke around till you find one, then measure out the rest and double check them.

Yes a coupl eo foutlets for 220 stove and one other. Theres also a couple of water pipes in there.I do have a pic with plaster missing so that will help.

Jason Roehl
12-06-2010, 8:08 PM
I'd use an old drill bit in a drill to probe for studs, not a hammer and nail. Once plaster starts to crack...

Your studs may also not be 16" OC. My previous house, now over 100 years old, had full 2x4 oak studs 24" OC, with 1x4 nailer studs at 24" OC, alternating with the 2x4 studs. You couldn't pound a nail into those oak studs if your life depended on it.

Phil Rose
12-06-2010, 8:27 PM
I've had reasonable luck with a small metal detector to find vertical rows of nails holding the lathe to the studs ... once I find the first, the rest are pretty straightforward.

russell lusthaus
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
drill a hole at your best guess. If not, insert a bent coat hanger and spin it with the bent end inside the bay till it makes contact with the stud. Measure and go. Only problem - if there is insulation in the wall - it is hard to spin the hanger in the bay.

Never had good luck with stud finders - especially with a plaster lathe wall - it is just too thick to get good readings.

Could also get a strong magnet and look for the lathe nails.

Trent Shirley
12-07-2010, 12:19 PM
A very strong magnet should pick up the metal nails going into the studs as well.

My stud finder has trouble on 5/8 drywall.

ray hampton
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
a compass will show you where the nails are