PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Disposal

lowell holmes
12-06-2010, 6:08 PM
What is the green, politically correct way to dispose of an old band saw blade. My biggest concern is that in a landfill, a person or animal might become entangled in it and injure themself.

Anthony Whitesell
12-06-2010, 6:24 PM
Around here I throw it in the steel recycling bin. Based on what you mentioned, I would either not coil it or cut it so it is not a loop for some semblance of safety.

Ted Wong
12-06-2010, 8:29 PM
Into the recycle bin. Use wire to tie the loops together so they don't accidentally un-spring and catch something or somebody.

Al Burton
12-06-2010, 9:07 PM
As far as the landfill goes, if you have ever been to one they use large equipment to cover trash. It really is a non issue, a band saw blade is one of the safest thing to be thrown away.

The green way is to recycle.

Matt Meiser
12-06-2010, 9:19 PM
If someone is walking around the landfill, bandsaw blades are the least of their worries. Mine go in my scrap metal bin which I let someone take for free when it gets full.

steven c newman
12-12-2010, 9:32 PM
One can still get some use out of old bandsaw blades. I usually just break mine into about 12' in length, tape the ends together, and then I have a nice flexible RASP. You can make it as wide as you need, or just a few pieces for those hard to get to places. Recycle right back into the shop. You can even stagger the teeth a bit, if you watch how you break off each section. Try it sometime.

lowell holmes
12-12-2010, 9:54 PM
That's a good idea, kind of a home made Shinto Rasp. I'll try it.

Ronald Blue
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Just take tin snips and cut it into short pieces. Even if you throw them in with the scrap metal. Then there is little chance of it "biting" someone.

steven c newman
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
The real green way is to turn tha old bandsaw blade into a file. Just break, or cut, into sections about a foot long. Gang the strips up into a nice rasp ( if yours is a course tooth blade), a float ( fine tooth/scroll blade) or just a few pieces will make a "Rifler file". One can either tape the ends together, or even braze them. Cut a groove into a piece of wood that the "file" will fit tightly into, and now you have a handled file. Maybe George Wilson could come up with a way to "handle" one of these files.

ray hampton
12-14-2010, 3:17 PM
the blades make good straight edges and scrapers

Steve Ryan
12-14-2010, 4:39 PM
Thick gloves, boots and jeans. Fold and step on it, it will snap. I toss mine into the bin with the cut up steel strapping.

John Toigo
12-14-2010, 5:33 PM
If you know or can find any local blacksmiths they're usually glad to have bandsaw blades. They use them for pattern welding. Old chainsaw blades too.