PDA

View Full Version : Shop made screwdrivers...

Dan Moening
01-02-2005, 3:42 PM
I'm lining up materials and ideas for the coming months in the shop.
{Why let Tom have all the fun :p }
One of the projects I'd like to tackle are some "Cabinet makers screwdrivers".

LV sells some long Phillips and Square End bits that I'd like to use as the rod and I will turn the handles.

Question 1:
How do I go about making the "flat" that is sometimes seen on traditional screwdrivers of this type?

- turn the entire handle round, then cut off the flats?
- cut off the flats, paper joint glue them back on, turn round, then cleave the joints apart?
- turn flat stock "as is" thereby only rounding part of this section? {and hope I don't have tearout}

Question 2:
Would epoxy provide enough holding power against the torque of driving screws?

Steve Wargo
01-02-2005, 3:48 PM
I simply turned the handles, Drilled the holes(probably should have done that first) then e-poxied the screwdriver in the hole. If you want a flat portion, just plane it plat with a block plane.

Tom LaRussa
01-02-2005, 5:47 PM
Question 1:
How do I go about making the "flat" that is sometimes seen on traditional screwdrivers of this type?

- turn the entire handle round, then cut off the flats?
- cut off the flats, paper joint glue them back on, turn round, then cleave the joints apart?
- turn flat stock "as is" thereby only rounding part of this section? {and hope I don't have tearout}

I agree with Steve. Sounds to me like the easiest way is to turn them round then plane the flats. But then I'm no turner.

Question 2:
Would epoxy provide enough holding power against the torque of driving screws?
Absolutely.

I think.

Probably.

Maybe you'd need to do something to the part of the metal shaft that will be inside the handle so that the epoxy has a rough surface to grab onto?

Dan Moening
01-02-2005, 7:12 PM
...plane it flat...

{slaps forehead}

Well, duh, Dan. :rolleyes:

A guy in my WWing club has been touting a product called "Mr. Stickey". Its a line of epoxies. Manufactured with certain characteristics for specific applications...sheer, tension, etc. I'll ask him next week what he recommends, but I'm sure that roughing up the rod surface will indeed be a good idea.

Thanks gentlemen!