PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Pecan Turned in Arkansas - Pic

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2005, 3:10 PM
Well...my parents had a pecan tree that blew down in a storm about 2 years ago. I asked them for the larger pieces of wood. So I got a few pieces. I let the log lay on the ground for about 1 year before cutting and turning. I used Dave Smith's Alcohol drying process which has increased the number of good turning blanks and bowl from previous drying methods.

This bowl is finished with oil and hand buffed. It is 11-1/2 " across and 3" deep.

As always....thanks for looking. :D

Glenn Hodges
01-03-2005, 9:01 AM
Dennis, It sure means a great deal to be able to turn some wood from your parents home. I turn a lot of pecan, and with 2 major hurricanes comming through my hometown in 2004 we had trees down all over the place. One thing I have to be careful about with pecan is that if cracks develop I have to glue them up fast before they get larger. I have 4 bowls drying with Dave's alcohol method at this time. Only one has small hair line cracks, and it is about 14 inches in diameter. Nice form on your piece I am sure you will treasure this bowl because of where it came from. Thanks for the pictures.

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Dennis, that's a wonderful classic bowl and the pecan looks great! Nice job.

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey Dennis, not sure I've seen Pecan done before. I LIKE it and you did a great job with it! :) The "rays" seem to jump out at you. Nice job of finishing, as well. "Hand buffed"? Pray tell, what oil and buffer did you use? Came out real nice.:) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
01-04-2005, 3:29 AM
Hey Dennis, not sure I've seen Pecan done before. I LIKE it and you did a great job with it! :) The "rays" seem to jump out at you. Nice job of finishing, as well. "Hand buffed"? Pray tell, what oil and buffer did you use? Came out real nice.:) :cool:

John,

I used two coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil. Sanded up to 600 grit, wetted with Watco and sanded while wet with 600 grit. Wipe on more oil and let sit for about 10 minutes. Wipe on more oil and sand wet with 1,000 grit sandpaper and keep the surface being sanded wet with Watco while sanding. The lathe is Off and simply sanding in little circles while rotating the bowl. Once the outside is sanded, recoat with oil and allow to sit for 45 minutes while wetting dry spots. Do the same thing on the inside of the bowl. After the 45 minutes is up? Wipe as dry as you can with a soft rag. Let the bowl finish dry for about 4 days...then simply buff hard with an old T-shirt and the sheen will pop right up there for ya.

Clear as mud? :rolleyes: ;)