PDA

View Full Version : bench grinder reverse nut

Dave Tesch
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
i was given an old bench grinder (1970's or 80's) its 8", has a typical table saw size motor. its in great shape except its missing the reverse threaded nut on the left hand side as well as the two wheel "shims" or clamps - i'm not sure what they are called. silver spacer things that grab the grinding wheels.

its gold, i think its "national" or something like that.

i have been unable to find these parts. parts stores shrug their shoulders. i'm running out of ideas.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Dave,

I bought a new grinder and the reverse threaded nut was badly manufactured. The hole in it wasn't perpendicular to sides of the nut and thus only a small portion of the sides of the nut pushed against the washers. This allowed the grinding wheel to wobble and remain out of balance while running.

I was able to get a nut at my local Ace Hardware store. I was really surprised to find one there but I did.

Dave Tesch
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
hmmm. i have an ace down the street. i'll go take a look today.

Jerry Bruette
12-06-2010, 4:48 PM
Dave

The flanges that are missing are very important please don't run your grinder without them. They do a very important job of clamping against the blotter paper on the sides of the grinding wheel. Regular flat washers won't do.

Jerry

Ryan Baker
12-06-2010, 7:54 PM
Yes, I found the left-hand nut at Ace too. That should be easy enough to find. Look in the specialty drawers.