PDA

View Full Version : New Blanket Chest for my Wife

Eric A Martin
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I am building a blanket chest for my wife, no, thank goodness, not for Christmas, and I am looking to put an air tight seal on it.
I have seen in the fancy furniture stores, there is some type of metal strip with little flexible fingers that form the seal, I have asked all my local hardware stores, emailed Lee Valley, all came up empty.
Can someone please direct me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance for your help

Todd Crawford
12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I am building a blanket chest for my wife, no, thank goodness, not for Christmas, and I am looking to put an air tight seal on it.
I have seen in the fancy furniture stores, there is some type of metal strip with little flexible fingers that form the seal, I have asked all my local hardware stores, emailed Lee Valley, all came up empty.
Can someone please direct me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance for your help

Might want to check to see who the manufacturer of the furniture is that you have seen it on and contact them to see if they can put you in contact with their supplier.

Kent A Bathurst
12-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't understand the design/style you are looking for, but I don't need to.

I have gotten a number of different types of seals for various uses - wine closet doors, for example.

McMaster Carr has a wide variety - search for weatherstrip - may be something there.

Jamie Buxton
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Maybe you're talking about spring bronze weatherstripping. Google with that for examples and sources.

Eric A Martin
12-27-2010, 2:41 PM
Thank you, I think that is what I've been looking for.

lowell holmes
12-27-2010, 2:54 PM
Would a jamb weather srip mounted in a 1/8" w x3/8" kerf work? Lowes carries them.

Eiji Fuller
12-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Www.comboaluminum.com