PDA

View Full Version : Good X-mas Present for Woodworker?

Steve H Graham
12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Someone wants me to suggest a Christmas present...for myself!

What's a great sub-$200 item for a hobbyist? I have a planer, large band saw, table saw, table-mounted router, drill press, air-powered disk sander, big DeWalt plunge router, a miter saw, a sliding miter saw, and a fair number of small tools to make it all work. What's a good addition?

I was thinking the new DeWalt 611 router might be fun to have.

I don't do big projects. I'm interested in small items and things like solid-body guitars.

Chris Harry
12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I was thinking the 611 would make a great xmas present to myself as well :)

I actually dont have any small routers (PC 6518 in a lift, DW618 for handheld work.....not exactly small), and I do have a small project upcoming.

Steve H Graham
12-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I have the big Bosch, a big but less-big DeWalt, and a pretty awful Craftsman in a portable aluminum table. I also have a Chinese Foredom clone, a pencil grinder, and a Dremel.

I have a Fein Multi-tool I've never used. I got it to use up some credit card points. I wonder if there are accessories I should look at. It came with a lot of junk, though.

Chris Harry
12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I thought about a MultiMaster last year actually. I have the Dremel version of it and never liked it because it always ended up burning whatever material I was trying to use it on. Once I replaced the horrible stock hold-down washer, though, it works a LOT better (the blade was vibrating in the holder apparently.....making cutting everything less effective).

I use it less than my regular Dremel, which isnt a lot at all. Because of that I couldnt justify a genuine Fein.

Im looking at the DeWalt 611 because I have to add some closet doors to my sons room, and the jambs are already in place (bifold doors)....the 611 would be perfect for the cramped area to mortise in some hinges. Problem is the 611 doesnt accept bushings, out of the box anyway.

Robert Reece
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Get a Kreg Master kit if you don't have that.

John Coloccia
12-06-2010, 12:48 PM
If you build guitars, at some point you'll want a Wagner Saf-T Planer.

Brian Tymchak
12-06-2010, 1:27 PM
how about a couple or 3 Starrett 4" double squares? - don't know how I ever did layout without 'em

Van Huskey
12-06-2010, 1:54 PM
I know you said it was for yourself BUT if someone is still going to give it to you I would consider hand tools instead. Tools with cords come and go but good handtools can last several lifetimes and the gift will always be there to remind you of the giver when in the shop. A good set of bench chisels and a block plane are two of the items even the most devout kilowatt worshipper absolutely needs in their shop but there are many more that can be extremely useful in a "corded shop".

Chris Tsutsui
12-06-2010, 2:32 PM
I also think the hand tools will be good idea. Something from Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen will eat up that $200 budget fairly quickly. If not the hand tool, then there's lots of measuring and sharpening tools... and clamps of course.

I also really like a compact drill and driver set. All the brands have their own versions like Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt has a 12V compact drill and driver set that's pretty good. I have Makita's which was $129 for the combo at the time and I will use these more often than the heavier 18V counterparts because they're easy to handle and hold above your head, etc.

David Hostetler
12-06-2010, 2:40 PM
How about wood? Kind of hard to do woodworking without it...

Steve H Graham
12-06-2010, 2:50 PM
The hand tool idea is interesting. One thing I would love to have but would be too cheap to buy is a shoulder plane.

Jim Eller
12-06-2010, 5:55 PM
I was in Woodcraft last week and purchased the new DeWalt compact plunge router and the new 12v drill.

Merry Christmas to me.

BTW - The new drill is my go to drill now.

lowell holmes
12-06-2010, 6:14 PM
I would dearly love getting a 4" Starret double square to go with my Starrett 12" tri-square. The tri-sqaure was a Christmas gift from SWMBO. :)

Rich Neighbarger
12-07-2010, 11:17 AM
+1 to the hand tools. A nice set sharpening stones would be on my short list as well.

Kent A Bathurst
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Under $200 items I wouldn't want to be without:

1. Low angle block plane [mine is LN]
2. Crosscut carcass saw [mine is Adria - also have LN rip dovetail, but if I only had one, it would be the x-cut]]
3. Fractional dial calipers [mine is Starrett]
4. Starret combo square + small double square; LV saddle square
5. set of forstner bits [ mine are Colt + Famag]
6. right at $200 - medium shoulder plane [mine is large LN]
7. Set of engrg squares - like, say, 3" 6" 8" [mine are from Highland - Groz?]

There are certainly other brands - I just mentioned what I have - but the theme is basically "spend the money, and get the good stuff". If I don't screw up, these are close to "only buy it once - ever".

Andrew Gibson
12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I say a low angle block plane. Either Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen. Then you can give it to your grand kids, then can give it to theirs.

Rod Sheridan
12-07-2010, 1:20 PM
I know you said it was for yourself BUT if someone is still going to give it to you I would consider hand tools instead. Tools with cords come and go but good handtools can last several lifetimes and the gift will always be there to remind you of the giver when in the shop. A good set of bench chisels and a block plane are two of the items even the most devout kilowatt worshipper absolutely needs in their shop but there are many more that can be extremely useful in a "corded shop".

Bingo, a set of chisels or a handplane make excellent gifts.

I received a Lee Valley scraping plane as a thank you gift a few years ago, every time I use it I remember the people who gave it to me.......Rod.

Doug Shepard
12-07-2010, 8:59 PM
You cant go wrong with a Lee Vlley Gift Certificate. Then you can get whatever you want, when you want it, and get multiple small things if that's what you need at the moment.

Dan Karachio
12-07-2010, 9:04 PM
The funny thing about this is if on your own you would have no trouble spending this, but now suddenly having a world of choices is almost too much! When I get a gift or gift suggestion I usually go for something I want, but would not always spring for for myself. Or just buy more clamps!

John Sanford
12-08-2010, 1:03 AM
The hand tool idea is interesting. One thing I would love to have but would be too cheap to buy is a shoulder plane.

Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane.

'nuff said...

Larry Fox
12-08-2010, 9:56 AM
How about wood? Kind of hard to do woodworking without it...

+1

Another idea that came to mind for me was shop time to actually do some work - that is my current issue.

Russell Smallwood
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Some things everyone should have IMHO:

Clifton 410 (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/cliftonno410rabbetplane.aspx)

Always seemed like a "nice to have" but then I bought one. Don't know how I got by without it before. So so many uses.

Of course, you will immediately want one of these to go with it:

Clifton 3-in-1 Shoulder Rabbet Plane (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/clifton3-in-1shoulderrabbetplane.aspx)

Another option:

Lie-Nielsen Dovetail Saw (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=DS)

You will have to pry mine (and its big brother):

Independance Carcass Saw (http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lie-nielson-independence-carcass-saw-14-ppi)

from my cold dead hands.

Will Overton
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
If you don't know what you want for Christmas, and have to ask strangers for suggestions, here's an idea that might make you feel good about Christmas. Suggest they make a donation, in your name, to your favorite charity ... and get you a nice piece of wood. :)

Steve H Graham
12-08-2010, 2:06 PM
I'm kind of surprised people like the fairly large shoulder and rabbet planes. I would have thought the little 1/2" jobs were more popular, since you can get into little dadoes with them.

John Coloccia
12-08-2010, 2:13 PM
If you don't have a nice, leather shop apron, you need a nice, leather shop apron.

Steve H Graham
12-11-2010, 9:13 PM
I decided to go for the little DeWalt router. The idea of getting a vintage or high-end hand tool is appealing, but in my hands, as little as I do, a power tool will last for eternity.