PDA

View Full Version : 1st Attempt at a Turkey pot call in Hickory

gary beach
12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone, after seeing all the great calls that get displayed and being an avid hunter I took the plunge and attempted my first Turkey pot call. It turned out better then expected, but still needs some work. It's more of getting all the little jigs and doodads in the right order :). The call is made of Hickory and is 3.5 inch slate over 3 inch glass sound board. I have been turning various things like bottle stoppers, pepper mills, and a few bowls but I could get used to making these! Feel free to C&C my first attempt.

Also I would like to thank Ken Hill for tossing me some info on where to buy parts, and some links for reference! :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Gary that is a great looking call. I do like the hickory wood and the finish looks mighty fine.

gary beach
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
thanks, I was trying to decide on what finish to use and I settled on Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, I figured it will hold up on a gun should do well on a call, and it's easy to apply!

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Looks great Gary!

You can just use Formbys Tung oil which mimmicks Caseys IMO and build coats and buff if needed

gary beach
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I happen to have some of that laying around the shop I will give it a shot on one of the next calls for sure.

Rick Robbins
12-06-2010, 1:46 PM
Gary you did Great on your first Pot Call. Hickory has Great sound. i'm a Custom Predator Callmaker. it's addictive. cant wait to see the next one. i sell call part's as part of my bussiness if you need anything. Take care. Rick:)

Scott Hackler
12-06-2010, 2:37 PM
I'm curious as to where you purchase the slate for the calls. We have a local NWTF (wild turkey federation) chapter here and our little town host an annual Govenor's One Shot Turkey Hunt. Making some of these might be a project for next years banquet.

gary beach
12-06-2010, 3:01 PM
Scott I used the following site
http://brooksidegamecalls.com/ pretty fast shipping to my location and good prices from what i have seen, plus they have many different options as to materials for calls.

Paul Douglass
12-06-2010, 3:01 PM
Very nice work. I've got to learn more about these things. Looks like fun. Well finish affect the sound at all?

gary beach
12-06-2010, 3:08 PM
not sure about the effect of different finishes will have on sound, from what I have read it's wood type (harder wood more volume, softer wood less volume), thickness of the call, and surface materials such as slate / glass and so forth, mixed in with pedestal height. Reason I went with the tru oil was because firearms take a beating in the brush and still look good as to thick type of finish might chip or peal. I thought shellac at first but then thought about the thinner and bug spray has alcohol so if you happen to get any on your hand and then handle the call might not end up to well.

John Keeton
12-06-2010, 4:06 PM
Nice work on the call, Gary, and I am sure the info you got from Ken was helpful - just don't follow his lead on how to keep a good back!!:eek:

John W Dixon
12-06-2010, 9:50 PM
Gary that looks real good. Have you made a striker and given it a go yet?

John

gary beach
12-06-2010, 9:52 PM
no on the striker bit, had to do some laminating today and made another pot, tomorrow is striker time it think!

Aaron Wingert
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm curious as to where you purchase the slate for the calls. We have a local NWTF (wild turkey federation) chapter here and our little town host an annual Govenor's One Shot Turkey Hunt. Making some of these might be a project for next years banquet.

Scott I made the call that governor Parkinson and his guide used at that hunt to take his bird last year. There are a lot of kids involved with that hunt and the NWTF always appreciates a banquet donation. I intend to send a call to governor Brownback for this year's hunt as well! Be warned though....There's a lot more to making these sound perfect than meets the eye! And it is addictive.

Great looking first calls Gary. You'll find that everything changes everything when making calls. Wall thickness, pedestal height, finish....Everything changes the sound. So take notes on each call so you can record the results. A bad striker can ruin a perfectly good call, so experiment a lot with striker weights, lengths, thicknesses.