PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood?

Tom Chenault
12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I am an adult Scout Leader and need to make a "comb" for a beading loom for a Scout project. I'm trying to duplicate an existing comb that we cannot source anymore. It is made of thin solid wood (1/8 to 3/16"), and has vector cuts in it about .10" apart with a vector cut hole in the center of each tooth so thread can be inserted in the holes and slots. The cuts are approximately 4' long and the overall piece is approx 6 inches tall with reinforced edges to add strength. The attached photo I hope will make this description more clear. I am afraid plywood would warp and or leave rough edges inside the cuts from the laminations. Any suggestions for a type of wood or other material to use.

Larry Bratton
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Try attaching the photo again..it didn't make it.

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Just about any hardwood would work. I'd probably use 1/4" poplar from Home Depot and plane it down a bit if necessary.
The tricky bit is getting a piece the right dimensions with the grain going the right direction (along the comb tines).

Tom Chenault
12-06-2010, 1:52 PM
Here is another try with smaller file size. Thanks for the input so far. The Poplar wood sound like a good idea. The wood that this one is made of is very dense like teak or something. My laser is only a 25 watt. I will have to see if it will cut it ok.

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2010, 4:21 PM
Here is another try with smaller file size. Thanks for the input so far. The Poplar wood sound like a good idea. The wood that this one is made of is very dense like teak or something. My laser is only a 25 watt. I will have to see if it will cut it ok.I've got a 25W, cuts 1/4" poplar no problem. But I suspect it wouldn't cut teak because of all the oil in it.

Joe Pelonio
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I never tried teak, but did try an expensive imported mahogany once. It simply turned black, would not cut no matter the settings.