PDA

View Full Version : Brighten Ivory with Carbamide Peroxide

Greg Bednar
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Has anyone tried to brighten ivory with Carbamide Peroxide (Urea) prior to engraving? I know there are several items on the web regarding this, but I am also curious as to the effects the laser may have after the process.

Dee Gallo
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Are you just trying to get rid of the age patina or are there stains? I have sanded ivory and it goes back to bright clean white easily. Stains are removed with toothpaste a lot of times. It depends on what you're trying to remove. I have not used strong chemicals, but watered down peroxide does remove certain stains.

If the stain goes down into the capillaries, you'll have to machanically remove that area and replace with white acrylic nail powder. Yes! It works well.

:) dee

Greg Bednar
12-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Dee, - aging and staining. I'd like the surface to be as smooth and as bright as possible without looking garishly bleached.

Dee Gallo
12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Greg, I recommend using 400 grit sandpaper to get down to the white, then micro sand from 1500 to 6000 or more. You will get a super shiny surface and the Shreger lines will show if you're lucky. Putting a little wax on them also enhances and warms the surface without darkening it, I like carnuba, especially using a Beall buffing wheel for a superior finish.

Greg Bednar
12-06-2010, 4:20 PM
Thank you Dee,
The information will be put to good use in the coming weeks. Thank you very much.

Gary Hair
12-06-2010, 5:45 PM
Are you just trying to get rid of the age patina or are there stains? I have sanded ivory and it goes back to bright clean white easily. Stains are removed with toothpaste a lot of times. It depends on what you're trying to remove. I have not used strong chemicals, but watered down peroxide does remove certain stains.

If the stain goes down into the capillaries, you'll have to machanically remove that area and replace with white acrylic nail powder. Yes! It works well.

Dee,
I have read many posts by you and I have to say how impressed I am with your depth and breadth of knowledge and how much I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Gary

Dee Gallo
12-06-2010, 5:50 PM
Gary, I'm blushing!

Really, I am a mad scientist artist who is constantly experimenting with tools, materials and techniques.. who also taught art for 30+ years and just can't stop sharing!