PDA

View Full Version : ice cream bowl for dieters

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2010, 9:31 AM
I was given a piece of black cherry that looked a little punky at a casual glance, but I figured it was worth trying.

Well, this is my attempt. It scared the beejeezus out of me a couple of times, and it won't hold much of anything, but my wife likes it, so it can't be all bad. :D

Baxter Smith
12-06-2010, 9:39 AM
That is a cool bowl! Amazing how some rot can make a pretty piece of wood so unique! Well done on the "vision" to try and the end result!

john taliaferro
12-06-2010, 10:00 AM
it holds plenty, i am gonna have night mares for a week . nice work

David Reed
12-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey now that's my kind of bowl. More air than wood. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 10:44 AM
That is a pretty bowl. Yep that was raise the pucker factor by a little.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Grant...that was you my wife heard chanting...."Keep my fingers behind the tool rest......keep my fingers behind the tool rest"...:rolleyes:;)

Nice gnarly old bowl Grant! I'll bet as Bernie said the pucker factor was pretty high!

Dan Hintz
12-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Man, now I have to eat even faster!

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2010, 2:10 PM
Thank you all. It did get my attention several times. The biggest problem was getting it to hold still long enough to turn off the tenon.

Mark Hix
12-06-2010, 8:09 PM
OK, I'll bite......There was a TENON????? Where?

Looks like you rose to the challenge. Did you do anything to support it while you turned it?

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2010, 8:42 PM
Mark: There was a 2 1/2" tenon on it while I was hollowing it out. To do the outside, I had to screw a board across the top because there was a big punky section that ran all the way across the blank. I screwed the piece of board across it to get a solid spot, then screwed the faceplate to the board. That held for the outside, and I was able to get a tenon on it. While hollowing out the inside, I went through the tenon in the middle, but it was ok on the perimeter. I put it into a donut chuck to turn the tenon off. Of course, that left the void in the bottom since the middle of the tenon was all punky, too.

I didn't do anything special to support it while turning. I just hollowed it out an inch at a time to keep as much solid wood as I could supporting the side. When I was blending the inside cuts, I just went very easy and held my breath.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Grant - that's a pretty cool bowl! With wood like that - maybe next time you could consider a hollow form! Challenging but really cool when you can look right though them!