PDA

View Full Version : Hickory NE

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 9:20 AM
I headed into the shop at 5 am and started the day off with the smell of Apple chips created from the bowl I turned a few weeks back. Then I went after this Hickory NE to get it finished.

Hickory NE
6" at its widest point
5.25 at its tallest NE section
1/4 thick
One wipe of Formby's Tung Oil and will recieve many more over the next week

Hope ya like it!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR4693/1116613839_Tpb5w-L.jpg

Doug W Swanson
12-06-2010, 9:29 AM
Looks great! I like the form and the variations in the wood....

Baxter Smith
12-06-2010, 9:35 AM
Very nice Ken! Do you know what kind of hickory you have there. I brought back two pieces. One was from a tree that had sound heartwood and the other was punky. The bark seemed slightly different on them so don't know if they were from the same variety or not.

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 9:41 AM
One is regular Hickory, the other is Shagbark Hickory.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Really nice looking piece Ken. I like the form.

David Reed
12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Ken, I really like the form of both of these hickory bowls. The flow is very natural looking. The wood is not too bad also.

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I wish I could say I planned it al out but I just went with what I felt while turning it.

I just put another coat of oil on it and that brown is so deep and rich, I really like it myself haha:D

Nathan Hawkes
12-06-2010, 2:53 PM
Very nice work, Ken. You better rest that sore back!! I'm in the same boat today--been sanding a couple dozen bowls to go to galleries and commissions, and the repetitive motion is killing an already sore shoulder. Do you know what type of hickory this is? The other one is a dead ringer for shagbark, at least the two trees I've worked with, anyway. This one looks just like the hickory I'm working with now. I got it this summer, but it had been knocked over by an excavating crew, and the tops chipped, so I didn't have any leaves to compare. I actually thought it was white oak from the bark. Really unusual this one, compared to other hickory I've seen. Regardless, nice work. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you added a bead to the foot--nice detail. Keep it up, Ken!

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 3:08 PM
Nathan, I do not believe this one was from a Shagbark but could be mistaken, I havent seen them cut any of that here yet. I know Mike Cruz was really taken with this particuliar log as it offered a ton of color and spots throughout the pieces.

I have been trying to take it easy...I worked from 5ish to 9 am and called it quits. Then geared up and took my one of my Labs up on the mountain to walk and hunt him (Grouse) but forgot this week was antlerless deer week....so we ended up just taking a ride lol! I was hoping to walk a bit and work the back out, believe it or not it still hurts like the devil, but the spasms are becoming quite distant from each other so thats a plus.

I really like the way this form came out, and cant help but ask if the Monster system would have helped make it alot easier on me! If this cold keeps up, my shoulders will force me to quit all turning except spindle work until it warms up.

John Keeton
12-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Ken, one of the best you have done in my book! Really an interesting take on the NE bowl. I normally like the more open forms, but this one seems very appealing.

John W Dixon
12-06-2010, 9:45 PM
Ken this is really nice. Something about the way the wood swirls complements the rim shape of the natural edge. Nice.

John

brian watts
12-07-2010, 1:02 AM
ken you got it going on there my friend

Ken Hill
12-07-2010, 6:33 AM
John K...thank you. I know you have a good eye and value your input! This piece is what got me asking about the monster a week or so ago. Then last night i was turning a nice piece of Maple and after turning the outside I stood back and said..."Man, that would make a nice HF:rolleyes: ". Im still debating the purchase right now....

John D...It was pure luck that the swirl and highline on the same side occured, I wish to take credit for designing it that way but I just aint that good!:D

Thanks Brian!