PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Drive Socket Set

Larry Frank
12-06-2010, 8:52 AM
I am looking to buy a 1/2" drive socket set with standard and metric sizes along with regular and deep sockets. I have a Craftsman set that is 20 years old and been great. However, I could not find something that I liked in Craftsman tools. Since I have not purchased anything like this for a long time, I had some sticker shock when I was looking.

I am not looking to spend a lot like buying Snap-On but want good quality and do not think that I want to go with the Harbor Freight version.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Marty Paulus
12-06-2010, 9:00 AM
Sorry Larry,

My boxes contain Craftsman for this type of stuff. There are some other stuffed in there but those are the tools that just appear out of nowhere. I guess if I was looking to spend less I might consider Rigid from HD or Kobalt from Lowes. Some of that stuff carries the same return policy.

David Weaver
12-06-2010, 9:25 AM
I am looking to buy a 1/2" drive socket set with standard and metric sizes along with regular and deep sockets. I have a Craftsman set that is 20 years old and been great. However, I could not find something that I liked in Craftsman tools. Since I have not purchased anything like this for a long time, I had some sticker shock when I was looking.

I am not looking to spend a lot like buying Snap-On but want good quality and do not think that I want to go with the Harbor Freight version.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Look for used proto or some other semi-premium/premium name that isn't snap on or mac.

In my opinion, the quality of craftsman has gone down a little, but they're still OK tools. they are not cheap, though, unless they are on sale.

If you don't use them a lot and you're not a tool fanatic, I think I would buy one of the HF sets with a lifetime warranty just to save money, especially if you have a store near by. I amassed a 1/2 inch set of williams and proto sockets for about $1 a socket back when ebay was a lot smaller. Maybe that could still be done, who knows?

I see a lot of used tools for sale on CL, and the people who buy them always seem like they're taking a bath on price, especially if they're buying them off a tool truck. It just isn't worth it unless you use the tools often enough that busting your knuckles is a problem.

Last time I saw someone order a standard set of 1/2 drive 6 point sockets from snapon, they were $500. That didn't include any deep sockets or metric. :eek:

Matt Meiser
12-06-2010, 9:56 AM
I have Craftsman for this stuff too. The "pro" tools are insanely expensive for my needs and its incredibly easy to get them replaced. Unlike many other other "lifetime warranty" store brand tools where either the store is no longer around or the store has switched brands, Sears and Craftsman seem to be hanging in there.

This time of year there are usually good deals on sets at Sears, then you can fill in what you need from there, over time if its not urgent. It of course won't fit in the pretty case but that's what toolboxes are for.

Stephen Tashiro
12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
You could buy an expensive drive and have inexpensive sockets by buying the black finished impact sockets and extensions. I think the impact sockets fit tighter than the polished sockets and are less likely to round off things. They have thicker walls than the bright sockets and would be harder to get into a tight place. But how often do you need to get into a tight place in a situation that requires a 1/2" drive? - not going to use it to fix clocks, are you?

Bill LaPointe
12-06-2010, 1:11 PM
Check your local pawn shop. We always have an excess of loose sockets that we sell very reasonable. If we have complete sets, they run a bit more. If you are willing to rummage through loose ones you can get a real bargain. Big shop in Chicago Heights. Not too far from you. (Always offer less than asking price.)

Marty Paulus
12-06-2010, 1:21 PM
My Ex-Wife gave me a hard time when she saw me buying Craftsman tools. She asked why I would spend that much money on a (insert tool here). I didn't really answer at the time but rather went home and gathered up some broken tools I had. Off we went to the Sears Hardware and I told her watch this when we got out of the truck. We went in and I told the associate at the desk I wanted to replace these. This person looked at what I had, jotted down what was there, threw the junk in a drum behind the counter and took off. A few minutes later they returned and handed me my replacements and said have a great day. My ex just didn't know what to say. I told her I could save money on the cheaper crap but would have just spent that savings on replacements. I am hard on my mechanics tools so for me the Craftsman brand is worth its weight.

That being said I have not not ventured in the Borgs for these. I will say the sump pump I purchased from the orange borg was a great deal. Got a lifetime warranty on it and was told as long as you can read the name on it, they would replace it. Tried that last year when the pump quit. I caught it before any damage. Took it back and no questions asked. Please go and get your new pump and bring it back here. I did and they put the old pump in the new box and handed me the new pump and again was told to have a great day. With service like that I am willing to pay a little more up front for something.

Eric DeSilva
12-06-2010, 1:59 PM
I think I understand the willingness to spend more on tools for quality and recognize that, if you have a wrench in your hand 6 hours in a day, you are going to be willing to pay more for some marginal differences that a guy who picks up a wrench 1 hour a week isn't willing to pay for. So, yeah, I see paying more if you are a pro for a high end socket wrench, or maybe for a quality tool chest.

But seriously, can someone explain to me how it is that one six point socket can be so much better than another? I've broken socket wrenches before, but never a six point socket... So I don't see it as a quality issue... Is there some ergonomic difference I'm missing?

My view, I suppose, is also colored by two other factors... First, I kind of think the truck type installment sales are, in a lot of cases, verging on taking advantage of people who can't afford it. I know they have a longstanding tradition, but it seems sort of like the old shop towns where they trap you with credit. Second, I've seen some things branded with those brands that were junk--I seem to recall seeing a "branded" MIG welder and a "branded" plasma cutter that were repainted Chinese junk.

Graham Wintersgill
12-06-2010, 2:22 PM
Try Metrinch. I have a set of spanners and find them invaluable if other nut rounders have failed. Not cheap but then you do not need metric and inch versions.

http://www.metrinch.tv/index.php/sockets/socket-sets.html

Regards

David Weaver
12-06-2010, 2:56 PM
They've got some big ones (the metrinch people) for asking that much for wrenches and sockets made in taiwan.

Rick Moyer
12-06-2010, 5:54 PM
Sears is nice for replacement. I also have two small sets from S-K that seem to be my go-to's.

Greg Portland
12-06-2010, 7:02 PM
can someone explain to me how it is that one six point socket can be so much better than another?
- Durability when exposed to shop environments (dropping on concrete, acid, oil, moisture, etc., etc.).
- Wall thickness for a given strength so you can get into tight areas ($$$ sockets are thin and very strong)
- Exact sizing. Is your 15/16" socket -really- 15/16" or is it off by a few thousandths? For things like headbolts (typically 12pt though) & torque-sensitive applications this can be important.

I have a large set of Sears Craftsman which is perfect for most amateur garage mechanics. I've replaced the medium socket wrench 3 times now and have never had any hassle. However, I've also used some Snap-on tools before and there is a noticeable improvement in fit & durability (but 2x+ the cost!).

Larry, it is hard to give you a recommendation without you stating why you dislike the new Craftsman options. Is it the handle, length, socket mechanism, ???. Once we know what you're looking for we can give you a better recommendation.

Ronald Blue
12-06-2010, 7:36 PM
I wouldn't buy HF if you plan on them lasting. The quality isn't there, and even if they warranty them you will just get another inferior quality tool. I don't know how you intend to use them but I have had a few HF type tools. The sockets don't usually split, but they swell because they are soft. These were impact sockets hence 6 pt. I have had their ratchet literally bend while trying to loosen a bolt. You do get what you pay for. That doesn't mean you have to buy Snap On but look for a mid-range like Craftsman or S-K(which went broke and was acquired by Ideal Industries recently) or even Stanley. If you thing you will rarely use them then you might get by with the cheap stuff. Buy the best you can reasonably afford. Happy shopping. The pawn shop suggestion might be a good one. I once in a while take a look at what they have. Make them an offer who knows.....

Jason Roehl
12-06-2010, 7:40 PM
I have mostly Craftsman wrenches and sockets. If I had it to do over, I would get Craftsman again, with one small change. I would get the laser-engraved sockets that have a much larger and higher-contrast size indicator. Heck, I may get some of those socket sets any way:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00934581000P?keyword=lasered+socket+ set&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

Brian Elfert
12-07-2010, 8:02 AM
I believe Allen, Craftsman, and Kobalt are the only mass market sockets and wrenches still made in the USA. I seem to recall the Husky stuff at Home Depot is made in Taiwan or China.

All of the USA made tools are super expensive. The Chinese/Taiwanese stuff is usually half the price or less. Some of the overseas stuff is crap, but a lot of it is good too. Pretty much all of my sockets and wrenches are Craftsman made in the USA. I do buy some of the cheap tools for things I might use once or twice.

One thing I hate about today's combination wrenches is having a 12 point end instead of 6 point. 12 point tends to round off tight nuts. I don't recall EVER having to deal with a square nut. The open end can be used with a square nut anyhow.