PDA

View Full Version : sudden belt tear up on Performax 16/32

Derek Voigt
12-06-2010, 8:45 AM
I was using my Performax 16-32 drum sander this weekend when suddenly the out board edge of the feed belt started to tear up. What could have caused this? I looked around on the bottom and couldn’t see anything (unless it is under the stand)

This was actually one of the times that I was able to leave the sander set up overnight without putting it away to put the cars in the garage, so it isn’t like I ran into it with the car or jerked it around. I had used it for about 30 minutes on Saturday with no issues, went out on Sunday afternoon to do some work and the belt started to tear up, and not the whole belt, but just about have of it, mostly in the area where the belt is joined together.

Please help! I’ll need to replace the belt to finish off the cutting boards I’m making for Christmas, and don’t want to tear up a new belt.

Also, I check the replacement belts listed at woodcraft for this and there is a review saying that the belt sold there was a touch too small compared to the factory belt. Anyone have experience with this, I have a $10 off coupon I would like to use.

Thanks,
Derek

david brum
12-06-2010, 9:42 AM
Hi Derek

My original feed belt fell apart as well. There were two causes. First, you have to be ever watchful that the belt doesn't ride over to one side and self destruct against the guard at the end of the feed rollers. You probably already know this, but there are little built-in tensioner wrenches on either side of the feed rollers in order to keep the belt tracking straight. You have to remember to check the belt position as you're using the sander.

Second, the belts just get old and brittle. If you have a Performax rather than a Jet, I assume (ha!) that it's a few years old at least. My original belt (from a vintage Performax) cracked and delaminated along it's seam. I briefly repaired it with duct tape on the inside, but it eventually died. I replaced mine with a poly belt several years ago. It isn't perfect, as it is a bit slippery especially when new. However, it isn't harmed by hitting the guards and should last indefinitely.

I don't know that I'd worry too much about a new belt being slightly undersized. As I recall, there is a pretty wide range of adjustment for belt size, although it is a project to get everything apart.

keith micinski
12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I would say your belt probably was old and partially wore and probably worked it's way over towards the side and rubbed along the outside rail. The seam is always going to be a weak spot. I bought a used one with a messed up belt an ended up buying an aftermarket one and have had no troubles with it. It takes very small adjustments to get the belt to track right and even then from time to time depending on how you are feeding stock through you still have to keep an eye on the belt moving a little.

Derek Voigt
12-06-2010, 1:49 PM
Yea I bought it used from a guy so it is a few year old, but was in great shape.

David, where did you get your aftermarket belt from? do you think that works better then the standard belt?

david brum
12-06-2010, 2:20 PM
It's this one Derek
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-conveyor-Performax-Ryobi-sanders/dp/B000HTM4WG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1291662845&sr=1-2

I like it fine, although as I mentioned before it's a little more slippery than sand paper, so I have to make sure that I apply slight downward pressure to whatever I'm sending through. This helps eliminate snipe anyway, so no big deal for me.

Mike OMelia
12-06-2010, 2:23 PM
You do have those ceramic guides, right? The ones held in place magnetically? Underneath? These belts should last almost forever. My guess is your belt was overtightened.

Make sure they are in the right place. Also, make sure the belt is JUST tight enough and no more.

Finally, buy the OEM belt. The inexpensive paper belts are crap. (call CPOJet) That belt pictured at amazon is not the right belt, though it may fit and appears to be in the correct price range.

Mike

Neil Brooks
12-06-2010, 2:27 PM
Mine came with a ripped OEM belt, AND the Accura belt ... which I put on.

The Accura seems like a great value to me.

Mike OMelia
12-06-2010, 2:27 PM
I did a quick look at CPOJettools, and they were selling the 100 grit 22-44 belt for $79. So call them...

Mike

Derek Voigt
12-06-2010, 2:42 PM
i have the 16-32. I checked them out and didn't see any replacement belts there.

Yes I have the magnetic guides underneath. My belt seemed to track just fine, i when I heard it tear up I looked at the position of it, but didn't notice it near the edge.

So I should avoid the Wood Craft replacement?

Leo Vogel
12-06-2010, 4:37 PM
Derek - Highland has them at http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/jet-brand-drum-sander-conveyor-belt.aspx

Mike OMelia
12-06-2010, 6:02 PM
Leo, just make sure its the heavy duty fabric type. You can get better results by calling CPOJet. Their website is not the best at listing everything. If you notice on the highlands site, they show one as "Jet Brand" and another without a brand name. I bet a nickel that the no-name is a paper belt.

I have heard others talk about the belt coming apart. Seems the concensus was the belt was too tight. Be sure the alignment blocks are just touching the edge of the belt, and periodically make sure that condition does not change. Not sure, but I think the manual says to get it tight enough where you can get it to slip if you press down hard on it. To be on the safe side, check your drum alignment after replacing the belt before passing any expensive wood through it again... Joe Woodworker has an excellent tip for getting alignment done. It should not be affected, but I would not risk it.

Mike

While I am here, thought I would give a thumbs up for Klingspor Blue paper for the drum. Great stuff!!