PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617 EVS Plunge router

Jay Jolliffe
12-06-2010, 8:33 AM
This router is about 4 yrs old & now I'm replacing the 3rd switch. Anyone else have that problem?...I'm going to do this one myself. The other two I sent it away. I'm looking for a plunge router that has a good plunge depth. I use it for mortising doors for floating tenons. So I need one that will plunge at least 3".......This 3rd switch is after I lent it out for a few days. I never lend tools & this is the reason. No more will I lend tools

frank shic
12-06-2010, 9:13 AM
had it happen to me twice many years ago but the problem went away after they sent me a shielded switch so the dust wouldn't keep getting into it.

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-06-2010, 1:07 PM
This router is about 4 yrs old & now I'm replacing the 3rd switch. Anyone else have that problem?...I'm going to do this one myself. The other two I sent it away. I'm looking for a plunge router that has a good plunge depth. I use it for mortising doors for floating tenons. So I need one that will plunge at least 3".......This 3rd switch is after I lent it out for a few days. I never lend tools & this is the reason. No more will I lend tools
What is failing on the switch? I have never had a Bosch switch fail, but I've had numerous Milwaukee's crap out on me.
My M cordless screwdriver was always going through switches. I pulled the switches apart, cleaned the contacts and put them back together. I have 3 switches and I would wait and clean them all at one time.

Noel Poore
12-08-2010, 3:04 AM
I've had the switch on mine fail several times because it got sawdust inside it. The switch is easy enough to take apart and clean. In the end I stuck a piece of black electrical tape over mine to keep the sawdust out and have not had the problem since.

Noel

Peter Quinn
12-08-2010, 6:27 AM

The motor pulls air to cool itself, thiis air sucks fine sawdust into the switch which grounds it out causing a no power situation. Take the switch out, take the switch carefully apart, blow it out, back in business. I've gotten so good at it I can do it in under 5 minutes in the field, andI now keep the appropriate torx driver for this in my tool box, as it always seems to crap out when I'm away from the shop or on a dead line! I've heard Bosch has a replacement switch that solves the problem for good, but I haven't requested it, because where is the challenge in that?:rolleyes: