PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF..dragged to the finish!

Michael James
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok, this little rascal was taller, but I got a catch in working on the shoulder. It has a crack that continues (and revealed here) which is perpendicular to the grain....what's a guy to do? I wanted to finish it as it's my 1st 'Zona mesquite piece (Jerry in Tuscon) to get a sense of what it was all about. Not as easy as cedar by a long shot!
4 1/4" tall X ~ 4" at the shoulders, and the opening is now 1 3/4". Thickness is a very skinny 1/8" going to ~ 1/8 and ~ 1/4 for a base - no foot this time.
Finish is 50/50 tung oil, couple of coats of danish, and a good shellacking!
Buffed X 3.
This is a 1st for me in this shape and felt "upside down" the whole way. Geting used to it but I could use some feedback. Thanks, Michael

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Overall, it's nicely done.

It seems like the top of the form is a little straight, so including a little more curve into the top of the form might spruce it up. The proportions look pretty good to me, and the wood is beautiful.

It's a shame your running out of mesquite... It's pretty stuff.

John Keeton
12-06-2010, 7:15 AM
Nice piece of wood! Michael, for me, the piece is a little wide for the height, but the catch you incurred may be the cause of that from your comments.

And as David noted, the area from the shoulder to the opening appears flat - should have more convexity to it. On the lower portion, there is a curve from the shoulder until about the bottom 1/4 of the form, and then it flattens out.

You did a nice job on turning this piece - those catches can really cause a change in plans!!

Ken Glass
12-06-2010, 7:54 AM
Micheal,
I like this piece. The top is straight, but I can see an arrangement of flowers in it that would flatter the shape well. It is not the norm in shapes, but it works for me. Well Done on the thickness as well.

charlie knighton
12-06-2010, 8:32 AM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
12-06-2010, 8:39 AM
Pretty wood and finish. A little more curve to the top as David said, or some flowers added as Ken mentioned would give you a very pretty piece. Flowers sound easier to try. It still is very pretty.

Jim Burr
12-06-2010, 8:46 AM
So far go good! See above for the usual stuff. See if you can radius the base more and the foot you have is the foot you get! :D:D Remember...thin is only done to impress other turners, Joe Public couldn't care less. It's not worth blowing up a piece of wood to try and impress people:eek:

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2010, 9:22 AM
I'm the odd man out, Michael. I like the straight line from the shoulder up. I'm sure the others are better at design than I am, though, so don't run out and do another one the same just to please me. :)

Michael James
12-06-2010, 9:42 AM
Remember...thin is only done to impress other turners, Joe Public couldn't care less. It's not worth blowing up a piece of wood to try and impress people:eek:

For sure that's true, but I had to scrap the piece or scramble to see if I could end up with something. The original design had a reverse curve into a vase neck...
I'm staying away from thin for a LOOOOOOOOOONG while!:(

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Looks good Michael and sounds like you didn't have much choice. A design opportunity was in order.

Mark Hix
12-06-2010, 8:06 PM
Beautiful color and finish. Don't you just love turning mesquite?

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2010, 8:31 PM
MJ, I hope some day before I die I get to turn some mesquite instead of tossing chips in the smoker that I by at the store! I have a repeat customer from Texas who says she may be able to find me some nice pieces on their hunting lease so I hope to get some soon! Then maybe I can be a mesquite kind of guy too.

You had good intentions and I have a couple of pieces that look a lot like this one, I lost the necks on them also. I have improved since thed and so will you as time goes on. Keep at it and you and the little Delta will reach higher turning plateaus!

Finish is perfect by the way,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
You've gotten lots of good advice - just wanted to say Congrats on getting it off the lathe in one piece!

Don't be afraid of thin because you will be limiting yourself. Instead of thin - or thick - try get the piece so that it feels balanced when you pick it up. Nothing worse, to me, than picking up a piece and finding out it weighs a lot more than expected. Same goes if the piece is unexpectedly light! There is a balance in there somewhere - comes with turning lots of these things!

Michael James
12-07-2010, 6:56 PM
You've gotten lots of good advice - just wanted to say Congrats on getting it off the lathe in one piece!

...... (balance) comes with turning lots of these things!

Ahhhh the voice of reason. Thanks boys and girls for the feedback, and support. I tend to "want what I want when I want it", and can be impatient. I know that those feelings do not belong on the lathe. I hesitate to move forward with more expressive interpretations until I get the basics under control a little better. But I'm hooked, so "turning lots of these thinges" it shall be!:cool:
mj