PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Cabinet Finished

Steve Wargo
01-02-2005, 10:53 AM
It's finished, Pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I have about $60 into it and still have plenty of space left to add to it. The entire piece is Euro Birch Plywood, and the doors are Makore. Nice Makore veneer. It's about 49" Tall, 10 1/2" deep and 38" wide. Also included a few images of the old one that has since been turned into a book case, storage cabinet. Thanks for looking.

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/MakoreHangCabinet.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/MakoreHangCabOpen.jpg

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Excellent! Makes me want to start making cabinets for my tools!

John Miliunas
01-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Yowza!!! :eek: That shore iz perdy, Steve! I couldn't possibly make something like that. Well, maybe I could, but then, LOML would confiscate it for use somewhere in the house! Great job and I really love the veneer! Vacuum bag or other method for that? Finish? Etc...:) :cool:

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Steve -

Very nice looking cabinet. Are those self closing hinges or do you have some catches hidden in there somewhere?

Ted

Steve Wargo
01-02-2005, 11:29 AM
A vacuum bag and pump to do the panels. They are little larger than I like to do via hammer and hide glue. The finish is 3 coats of oil based poly, and the hinges are 110deg. Blum hinges. Forgot to mention that the nice thing is I only have about 8 hours into it. Whenver I do a piece for myself I always try to put a 10 hour limit on it so I don't "waste shope time" on myself. Still have 3 pieces on the books and need to get them finished.

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 1:38 PM
Wow, that Makore really looks sharp on the doors, Steve. Beautiful! I think it's great that you made the cabinet so nice...there is no reason that our workshops can't enjoy the fine furniture look in addition to the necessary utility!

John Dingman
01-02-2005, 2:03 PM
Steve,

Very nice job on the cabinets. I like your choice of material for the doors. You have given me some ideas as I plan to complete a hanging tool cabinet this year. Again, excellent work!

John

Dan Moening
01-02-2005, 2:29 PM
B e a u t i f u l W o r k !
The Makore is stunning!

Can you describe how the DT saws are hanging?

It appears that the handles are simply pressed onto a form. No problems with slippage as the door is closed? I think I've seen similiar mounts, but always on a fixed panel and I'd like to do the same.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Wargo
01-02-2005, 3:27 PM
Cut outs and hold downs. There is a cut out the shape of each handle that sits proud of the door, then there is a small hold down that spins on the cut out. This piece is slightly smaller than the widest part of the cut out so it can be aligned for removal of the saws. This is the way I mounted my saws in the last cabinet, and I never had any problems with dropping saws. It never hurts to place a mat under the cabinet just in case though.

Jim... One of the main reasons I put a little effort into it is because I sometime have clients come to my shop, and I want it to look as professional as possible. Another is because I want it to look impressive. Even though the cabinets are plywood, they look nice. Since, I've started teaching, this helps instill a bit of professionalism into the classroom. Also, they make me feel good.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif I don't think there's anything wrong with simply building somthing the way I want it, if it's for me. I buy veneer so cheap ($12 for the whole cabinet), that I often veneer my shop fixtures. I have birdseye maple and q-sawn macassar ebony cabinets as well.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

B e a u t i f u l W o r k !
The Makore is stunning!

Can you describe how the DT saws are hanging?

It appears that the handles are simply pressed onto a form. No problems with slippage as the door is closed? I think I've seen similiar mounts, but always on a fixed panel and I'd like to do the same.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom LaRussa
01-02-2005, 5:52 PM
It's finished, Pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I have about $60 into it and still have plenty of space left to add to it. The entire piece is Euro Birch Plywood, and the doors are Makore. Nice Makore veneer. It's about 49" Tall, 10 1/2" deep and 38" wide. Also included a few images of the old one that has since been turned into a book case, storage cabinet. Thanks for looking.
Geez Steve,

It's embarassing enough being confronted with the quality of your work, do you really have to be so fast besides?! :eek:

Takes me longer to change my socks than it took you to build that beauty! :(

Steve Wargo
01-04-2005, 6:05 AM
Steve -

Very nice looking cabinet. Are those self closing hinges or do you have some catches hidden in there somewhere?

Ted
Actually upon further reivew I determined that they are not self closing hinges. I assumed that they were, since they wer Euro Hinges, but Blum sells some that are and some that are not. These are not. I'm kind of new to the whole Euro Hinges thing, this is only the second time I've ever used them, and would never on a piece of furniture, but they are the bees knees. I can't say enough how easy they are to adjust and install. I like them a lot. Sorry for the misinformation the last post.