PDA

View Full Version : Olive Goblet, Oak Burl HF and Pistachio save

Kathy Marshall
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
The 1st form was turned from an olive branch. Goblet is 7 1/2" tall overall is 9", cup is 3" x 2 1/2" walls are 1/16 - 1/8". Finished in DO and WOP and Beall buffed. Got the idea from one of the members of our turning club. His was absolutely gorgeous! This is not even a close 2nd, but I'm happy with it.

The next is from an Oak burl from Cathy Schaewe, Thanks again Cathy!
5 x 3 1/4" opening is 1 1/4" and bottom is 1 1/2". This was my 1st working with a burl. Still have the other half of the piece this was cut from and will be on the lookout for more. The large hole was filled with epoxy and turquoise and the large crack with epoxy and gold glitter.

The last piece is Pistachio, a small box 3 1/4" x 1 3/4" finished in WOP and Beall buffed. The day after it was turned the box developed a large crack that ran from top to bottom, all the way through to the inside. I had pretty much given it up as a lost cause and set it aside on the workbench (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/#). A couple of weeks later I was reorganizing and I found it, the crack had closed back up. You can barely see or feel it now.

Thanks for looking!
C&C's Welcome

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice work again!! On the HF, add more radius to the foot to give some lift, I had that pop up with one of mine. A flat foot...so to speak, makes it look like it went "splat" on the table. Inlay work is cool:cool:!

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice looking turnings there, Kathy. The pistachio is really striking. The oak burl has some wonderful grain. The olive is my favorite of the trio... Great proportions and details.

John Keeton
12-06-2010, 7:17 AM
Kathy, I think you did a very nice job on all these - particularly the goblet. Really a nice piece. The Pistachio piece is really neat, too - and, a very interesting shape.

Baxter Smith
12-06-2010, 9:29 AM
Nice job Kathy. It took me awhile to realize that the pistachio piece wasn't 3 different kinds of woods turned to the same shape.:)

Kevin N Brown
12-06-2010, 9:48 AM
Very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Kathy all three look great. I love the wood on the lidded box. The oak I like the form but maybe a smaller foot but do like the inlay's and the goblet really looks good. I love turning olive wood.

steven carter
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
All three are great! Keep up the good work.

brian watts
12-07-2010, 1:07 AM
Pistachio WOW.. were could someone buy some of that at? pm if you can

Don Alexander
12-07-2010, 1:26 AM
+1 on the pistachio and where can i buy some of that? :D

Kathy Marshall
12-07-2010, 2:14 AM
+1 on the pistachio and where can i buy some of that? :D

Pistachio WOW.. were could someone buy some of that at? pm if you can

Isn't it cool?
I got it from the tree trimmer that let's me know when then get any wood they think I might like. I got 1 small 4-5" diameter branch (there are a couple other turner's they also save wood for). I was able to turn a small bowl, small dish/plate and this small box. I love this wood and I'm tempted to start calling pistachio farms to see if they have any dead or dying trees they need removed lol.
Not sure where you could buy it, I haven't seen it anywhere else and it's not a common landscape tree here (although there are pistachio farms around Phoenix and Tucson).

Tim Thiebaut
12-07-2010, 8:13 AM
All I can say is WOW that pistachio is beautiful! All of these pieces are great, but love that lidded box, that wood has so much character.

Rick Robbins
12-07-2010, 9:40 AM
those all look Great.love them all. Rick