PDA

View Full Version : I think I know the answer to this but I have to ask anyway...

Everett White
12-05-2010, 9:17 PM
Our childrens ministry director received an award for doing an outstanding job on a recent community event. The award is 3/4" acrylic and is engraved on the back.

She really wants her name taken off the award and wants to replace it with " All the volunteers of FCC". She is concerned that the volunteers don't get enough recognition.

So with all that said, can a name be removed and replaced on acryllic once it has been lasered?

Jason

Joe Pelonio
12-05-2010, 9:37 PM
No, it cannot be removed. You could engrave over it so it's not legible as the person's name and add the new text in a different spot, but would have to somehow disguise that with a graphic with a solid area that's at least the size of the original name. With all that time involved it would be far cheaper to just do a new award.

depending on how the award is worded, it might be best to add it below the name, something like " and Jane Doe thanks All the volunteers of FCC"

Chuck Stone
12-05-2010, 9:41 PM
Skip the two ideas I mentioned.

CA will fill it in, and the engraved area will be less noticeable, but still there.
Same with the plexi/acetone mixture.

Gary Hair
12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm going to say yes, but it's a conditional yes. If the engraving isn't very deep then it's very possible to sand off the entire surface down to the depth of the engraving. I would use a drum sander, the one that looks like a planer. After you remove the engraving you could sand with finer grits of paper and finish it with a flame polishing after about 320 grit. No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

Gary

Mike Null
12-06-2010, 7:51 AM
Everett

Engrave a box which covers the name (makes the whole area frosted) then engrave the new text on the front of the award and consider color filling it.

Not the greatest but will allow you to use the same award.

Everett White
12-06-2010, 9:29 AM
The acrylic is so clear that I think any distortion caused by sanding and polishing or filling would be seen, at least at my limited skill level and tools.. If I end up fixing it I will post a pic.

Thanks again!

Martin Boekers
12-06-2010, 9:56 AM
If you post a picture of what we have to work with it may help.

We have quite a few creative folk here and if we see it, it may help.

Marty