PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Style Side Table Project Started

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I got started on a Shaker-style side table this afternoon. This is essentially the same design as I used for the nightstands that I made for my nieces a couple years ago sans the drawer. Theirs were made from poplar as shown in the first picture; this one will be in black walnut from material harvested on the property back in August 2000. The design is from Thos Moser and is detailed starting on page 270 of his book, Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture. I decided not to do the drawer for this particular unit both because I didn't need it and because I wanted this to be a very fast project start to finish.

The new table will serve as a lamp table in our soon to be ex-dining room re-crowned "home theater" which should be finally put together next weekend with the exception of repainting the room. The new couch arrives on Saturday...

Today's activities revolved around the legs. The material was already pre-milled to the correct size other than length due to an aborted buffet project from a number of months ago. (Poor planning on my part there...) After shortening them slightly to the required 26 1/4" length, I cut the mortises for the apron using my dedicated mortiser and then cut the tapers on the table saw using a fixed tapering jig that I made up specifically for this design for repeated use over time. The mortises were then cleaned up with a chisel...see the thread titled, "Sharp is as sharp does..." (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15397)in the OT Forum for more commentary on that...:o

Tomorrow, I'll mill up the apron stock, dry fit and glue the basic structure together. The top will also be cut out of the panel I previously made for the top of that aborted buffet, chamfered on the bottom edge and then everything will get sanded and ready for finishing.

This is a really nice design with a dainty feel and a fast build. In fact, I'll likely make a companion piece later that is slightly taller, a bit wider and less deep to serve as a free-standing side table in the same room between a door and a window. The walnut matches the LCD TV table previously made as well as the natural edge coffee table that will also be in the room. The species will serve to unify things in the room from a design perspective.:)

Nightstands previously built:

http://sawsndust.com/images/kids-furniture/kids-nightstand-2.jpg

Today's work pictures:

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey Jim -

I don't see any blood spots or bandages. What's up with that? :) :)

That looks like a nice simple, elegant design. What style couch is coming?

Ted

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Great start Jim...Sorry about the slip....

Michael Cody
01-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Are there supposed to be "Nightstand Previously Built ": pictures?? I don't see those -- but the rest looks good.

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 1:01 PM
Are there supposed to be "Nightstand Previously Built ": pictures?? I don't see those -- but the rest looks good.
There is a link to a picture in the post...it should be appearing on your screen just below the caption and it's somewhat gold in color. If not, the direct link is:

http://sawsndust.com/images/kids-furniture/kids-nightstand-2.jpg

Darren Ford
01-02-2005, 3:29 PM
Jim, I like that table style alot. I built one without the drawer and am currently building one just like you described for that space between the window and door (what good is that space anyhow?). What size were you thinking? Mine is 36" W x 32" H X 10" deep. After see how short the side aprons have to be, I'm not sure I like it, it just looks too tall to be stable at that depth. I'm going to go ahead and cut the leg tapers and dry-fit before final judgement.

Dick Parr
01-02-2005, 4:23 PM
Very nice Jim, can't wait to see the finished project. :)

Darren Ford
01-02-2005, 5:00 PM
I take that comment back, I put it all together and its not nearly as top heavy as I thought it was going to be. The dimensions are actually W36" x H33" x D10"

Steve Elias
01-02-2005, 5:06 PM
Nice looking side table. How much chamfer will the top have?

If you don't mind my asking, have you looked into building your own loudspeakers for the new home theater? There's a lot of value to be had in DIY speakers, and someone with your talents could assemble a quality case in no time.

-Steve

Bob Winkler
01-02-2005, 5:34 PM
Looking good as usual Jim. You know I love that Moser stuff...built several of his pieces already in cherry. I'm anxious to see how it looks in walnut.

And since you mentioned your home theater room, if you need a very nice center channel, I'm trying to find a good home for a KEF Model 90 center that I must get rid of.

Have you planned a finish for the table yet? Your usual BLO mix?

Bob

Gord Graff
01-02-2005, 6:02 PM
Hi Jim,

Great start, can't wait till the finished pics.

All the best
Gord

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 6:17 PM
I take that comment back, I put it all together and its not nearly as top heavy as I thought it was going to be. The dimensions are actually W36" x H33" x D10"Darren, I hope you'll share some photos of that piece...it sounds very interesting and is very close to the dimensions I'm considering.

How much chamfer will the top have?Not as much as the original...I cheated and used my raised panel bit to deal with the top quickly! :D So rather than about 2" wide, it's more like an inch and a half with a 3/8" edge thickness. The latter is exactly what I wanted. Honestly, given the angles that one views the table, the length of the chamfer isn't all that important. The fact that there is one means the table will be just a little lighter and more delicate in appearance and it works with the tapered legs very nicely. That's one thing about many Shaker designs...and much of Moser's work...so many aspects of the pieces are very complimentary and with great subtlety.

If you don't mind my asking, have you looked into building your own loudspeakers for the new home theater? There's a lot of value to be had in DIY speakers, and someone with your talents could assemble a quality case in no time.I have a Sony home theater system that has nice compact speakers and a very good sub. No plans to go beyond that at present. Further, the system was "cheap"....AMEX points.

Have you planned a finish for the table yet? Your usual BLO mix?BLO followed by shellac for clarity. I don't know if I'll coat the top with anything else at this point.

-------

Ok, here are the progress pictures for today. This project is essentially "done" except for finishing. One of the things I like about these tables is that you can build them FAST! Time for a nice Shiraz...and that pork roast we were supposed to have yesterday before my little accident shifted us to grilled cheese and tomato soup... :D

Cutting the tenons. For speed, I just used the TS and nibbled away
Dry fit...everything is just peachy! Tenons are snug
Cutting the chamfer on the top using a panel cutter in the router table
Sanding...sanding...sanding...
All glued up and after a little extra fine sanding, ready to finish!

Martin Shupe
01-02-2005, 7:15 PM
Very nice, Jim...can't wait to see it with finish. Great job, as usual.

Jim Barrett
01-02-2005, 7:17 PM
Jim,

First of all sorry to hear about your mishap:( Don't like blood especially my own:eek:
I like your shaker side table, looking good:D One of my favorite projects I completed many years ago was a pencil post bed with matching night tables made out of cherry. It was a fun project. My dimensions are probably a little smaller; 20"w 15" d and 29" h
Good luck on your project!

Jim B

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 7:21 PM
Dimensions on this table is 27" tall and 18" square. The apron is 5" which at first might seem more than needed, but the angle you view it when standing makes that appear a bit "shorter". The legs are an inch and a quarter at the top but taper to 3/4" square at the bottom.

Arnie Grammon
01-03-2005, 8:08 AM
Very nice work Jim. Solid walnut from your own trees.....Beyond the craftsmanship, the project has another layer of special meaning. Keep us updated til the final pics on this project.....I want to see finished walnut in all it's glory. Still my all-time favorite wood.

But.......(don't you love that word?) leaving the drawer off of the project means you won't have a place to put the remote in your new home theater room. Just throwing that out.....is it too late to retrofit? I like drawers on end tables for that very reason...sounds trite until you search through the house twice a week to find your step/time saver :o .

By the way, I really like the Thos. Moser look.....can it be described as Danish Shaker post-modern? Any other references besides the Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture that you might recommend? If it's available, I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.

AG

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 8:30 AM
But.......(don't you love that word?) leaving the drawer off of the project means you won't have a place to put the remote in your new home theater room.The remote sits in a charging cradle...it's a Phillips Pronto TSU3000. No need for a drawer for that! The four remotes that came with all the equipment will just go in the closet under the stairs...

By the way, I really like the Thos. Moser look.....can it be described as Danish Shaker post-modern? Any other references besides the Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture that you might recommend? If it's available, I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.You might also check out, Thos Moser Artistry in Wood (ISBN 0-8118-3611-8)--not an inexpensive book, but a good read. Perhaps you can find it at the library first before buying to be sure you want to add it to your own collection. It is a good read with great photos and a nice foreward by Andy Rooney, who just happens to be a very serious hobbiest woodworker like many of us.

Arnie, the finish will be the same as this clock...

Michael Stafford
01-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Absolutely splendiferous! I really like the design. With your permission I would like to attempt some copies for my son and DIL. Very nice Jim!

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Absolutely splendiferous!
Awefully big word for a Monday morning!!

I really like the design. With your permission I would like to attempt some copies for my son and DIL.
You don't need my permission...it's Thos Moser's design. Get the book. Make the table!

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 8:54 PM
Last night I got a coat of T&T oil (polymerized linseed oil) on the table and brought it inside tonight to let it warm up again so I can do the shellac tomorrow night. Here's what it looks like so far...the walnut is outstanding. I'm really pleased.

Sean Hughes
01-06-2005, 9:14 PM
:) Excellant work Jim!! I hope LOML lets me build more furniture for around the house.

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Well, I should hope you'd be pleased with that! Cost you some blood (literally), sweat and maybe some tears. OK, you probably sucked it in, so no tears.:) Does look great, though! I love it when Walnut gets that first coat of oil on it. Everything just kind of jumps out at 'ya. Nice job, Jim. Hope your finger is healing fast, as well!:cool:

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 7:57 PM
The two pictures below are last for this thread. I applied the shellac tonight and will rub in some wax tomorrow with a white pad to "finish" the finish by knocking off any slight nibs and making it "glow". I will post other pictures of the room once the new sofa is in and other furniture and electronics are installed.

Please take a note of the top of this table. One of the things I try to do is to be very careful with grain matching when making panels and this was no exception. There are two joints in that top and only the one toward the back (wall) is barely perceptible without careful inspection. This is a process that starts when you select your material...it's got to be compatible when there are joints involved. The leg stock was cut in such a way that at least the two front legs had grain line diagonally across the section to minimize any face grain on the surfaces and the rears are similar, although not quite as "perfect" in that respect. All of these things enhance the look of the project. In an ideal world, the aprons come from a single board, too. These are no exception, although there was a slight break in the continuity due to a big, fat knot in the middle of the board that had to go away. No problem...they are short aprons and will be hidden partially by other furniture.