PDA

View Full Version : Got my Grizzly G0698 lathe, Friday.

dirk martin
12-05-2010, 7:48 PM
Got it un-crated. Put together, and fired it up.

Roger, Grizzly just delivered my G0698 lathe.

I turned it on, and it took off spinning. I noticed that adjusting the speed via the speed knob, did nothing. The ripm's stayed the same.

I turned it off and on a couple of times, figuring I was doing something wrong, with no change.

Then, about the 4th time I turned it on, the digital speed readout lights up, but the spindle never turns. Neither in forward or reverse, and regardless of how I have the speed knob set.

It's making no noise at all. Just won't turn. Can't make bowls like that!

Any ideas, gang?

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 7:49 PM
No pic's...no lathe...nuthin' happened:eek:

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 8:20 PM
Dirk,

I sent you a private message. Pulleys need to be aligned, belt needs to be tight, and the set screws in the pulleys need to be tightened down to make sure the pulley is spinning with the motor shaft.

There is also a safety check procedure listed in the manual to insure proper operation, and you need to follow it, and you should be good to go.

I know several guys who got the unit had to get the set screws tightened down on the pulleys, and the belt tension adjusted, as that is not the way they always come from the factory, but it is simply part of the lathe set up when you get it. Also, make sure your reset button is pushed in all the way, some call it a circuit breaker, it is a safety to protect the electronics.

If that does not solve your problem, then call Grizzly tech support..........they will walk you through all checks to see how to remedy the problem.

Roger Corder
12-05-2010, 9:18 PM
I also received my Grizzly 0698 on Thursday, Got it un-crated and put together Saturday. mine has worked great so far. I have turned a few things on it ans its a world of difference from the harbor freight lathe I was use to.

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 9:24 PM
I also received my Grizzly 0698 on Thursday, Got it un-crated and put together Saturday. mine has worked great so far. I have turned a few things on it ans its a world of difference from the harbor freight lathe I was use to.

Congrats on the G0698 Roger! Mine has been flawless, and really performs.

I would recommend putting a shelf on the leg brackets. It stiffens it from end to end and really helps with out of balance blanks. Of course, one has to find the sweet spot on the rpm's on out of balance blanks until it gets turned a little more in balance.

You will like the features and the performance, if yours works like mine has. Good luck!

Bill Bolen
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Dirk, no idea what is wrong .....but my heart is breaking for you!...Bill...

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I think it most likely is the circuit breaker, or a switch not in the correct position. The forward/reverse switch must be on the right position, and not in between settings.

Kirk, did you take the screw out of the belt access door and check the belt and pulleys? If the belt is not tight on the pulleys, then they could just spin and not turn the spindle.

This is probably something simple that being unfamiliar with the unit, makes it sound a lot worse than it is.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 12:55 AM
The belts are tight.
Nothing is spinning.
The motor won't even kick in any more.
Just the RPM digital read out lights up.

Roger, when you unit is off, and you try and turn the face plate by hand, does it turn smoothly? My turns difficult, and lumpy.

There's 2 circuit breakers on the front panel. Does anyone know if those are serviceable? I can't seem to open them, such that I might inspect the fuses behind them.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 7:24 AM
The belts are tight.
Nothing is spinning.
The motor won't even kick in any more.
Just the RPM digital read out lights up.

Roger, when you unit is off, and you try and turn the face plate by hand, does it turn smoothly? My turns difficult, and lumpy.

There's 2 circuit breakers on the front panel. Does anyone know if those are serviceable? I can't seem to open them, such that I might inspect the fuses behind them.

Dirk,
I sent you another PM, so take a look or call tech support. It is likely that during unpacking and assembly something got knocked out of adjustment, but they can walk you through a check list and get you going, or at least identify the problem and get you a solution.

The G0698 is a good unit!

I went out to my shop, and turned the spindle on my unit, and it does turn freely. It has belt tension on it, so it does not freewheel, but it does turn by hand.

Your question makes me think you should check to see if the belt is on correctly, or if the pulleys are solidly locked on the spindle with the set screws. My unit has been used for a year, and it is likely it will spin easier than a brand new one, but you should be able to turn your spindle by hand with the face plate attached.

pulleys need to be in alignment with one another also. Hope this helps you to get it going Dirk, but call Grizzly tech support and they will trouble shoot with you over the phone and identify the issue. You should be up and going when they identify the issue.

Fred Belknap
12-06-2010, 7:31 AM
Just a suggestion. Sounds like you could be short a leg of the 220volt or maybe the ground. Hope you get it going and keep us posted. Mine is supposed to be delivered today.:D:D

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 7:38 AM
Just a suggestion. Sounds like you could be short a leg of the 220volt or maybe the ground. Hope you get it going and keep us posted. Mine is supposed to be delivered today.:D:D

Fred,

First of all welcome to the Grizzly group! I think you will really like this lathe. Mine has been superb!

You may be on to something regarding the voltage. If the wiring is loose or has a short, then it may be preventing full power to the unit.

Grizzly can walk him through the issues and identify the problem with some trouble shooting from tech support. I would do it over the phone while checking everything the tech guy tells me to check and eliminate as I go, so as to pin point the problem.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 2:15 PM
I just double checked my electrical, and I indeed have 2 legs of 110 coming in.

I just called Grizzly tech support. They took my info, and my phone number, and said they'll be back in touch....but it may not be for 24 hours.

Great....just great.
It sux just looking at the green monster.

The bottom line is, the LED speed readout lights up, but that's it. Nothing else runs or spins.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 2:25 PM
I just double checked my electrical, and I indeed have 2 legs of 110 coming in.

I just called Grizzly tech support. They took my info, and my phone number, and said they'll be back in touch....but it may not be for 24 hours.

Great....just great.
It sux just looking at the green monster.

The bottom line is, the LED speed readout lights up, but that's it. Nothing else runs or spins.

Dirk,

One thing you might want to try is seeing if the fuse on the circuit board [upper right hand corner looking from the back] in the inverter is fully seated, or has blown [not likely, but a possibility]

James Gaydos got his on black Friday, and on his first hollow form he went to part off a large section of the log, and got his parting tool stuck, and ended up blowing a fuse. A mishap, not the fault of the lathe, but maybe something came loose on your fuse during shipping, or maybe it blew when you plugged in, or had a power surge.

The cover has two screws with very small lock washers on each side, and two at the bottom of the back. While you are there and with the lathe unplugged from the power source, tighten carefully all the wire connections, and then when you have it all back together, plug the unit in and see if anything helped.

Grizzly will get you going one way or another. They have a good reputation for customer service, and will do their best to solve problems.

Rick Markham
12-06-2010, 2:26 PM
Dirk, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience so far! Good thing is you have grizzly's customer support to make things right, they always seem to come through with flying colors (at least from other creeker's experience) I know that doesn't make the feeling in your gut go away, but I'm sure they will fix ya up right! It sucks just having to sit and look at a brand new machine... especially one that doesn't run :(

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 2:42 PM
I see two fuses on the face of this machine.
Which fuse are you speaking of. The upper, or the lower?

Can you explain a little better where you want me to check?

You say the cover has two screws, and two at the bottom on the back.....

I'm not following....

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 2:45 PM
I see two fuses on the face of this machine.
Which fuse are you speaking of. The upper, or the lower?

Can you explain a little better where you want me to check?

You say the cover has two screws, and two at the bottom on the back.....

I'm not following....

Dirk,

I just added on my previous post, so recheck it. the fuse I am referring to is on the back of the headstock inside the cover on the inverter, on the upper right hand corner of the circuit board. Unplug your lathe first!!! Then check it as I indicated in the last post.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 2:46 PM
Plus, I'm not liking that it powered up 3 times, but not any more.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 2:56 PM
Ok. I do not know what the "inverter" is....but I see it's that black box, on the back.

I opened it up.
The fuse that you speak of, is indeed blown.
I will go to my local auto-motive store, and see if I can get a replacement.

Now I'm worried what may have blown it.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 2:56 PM
Plus, I'm not liking that it powered up 3 times, but not any more.

Dirk, is your 220v power supply single phase? The inverter is 3 phase, but runs off single phase power, and converts it to 3 phase. Just thought I would mention that, but most likely you already have that covered.

Also, how many amps does your circuit supply to the lathe? The minimum is 15A, but I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit to mine, and have had zero problems.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 3:08 PM
I'm on single phase.
20 amp line.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 3:09 PM
Ok. I do not know what the "inverter" is....but I see it's that black box, on the back.

I opened it up.
The fuse that you speak of, is indeed blown.
I will go to my local auto-motive store, and see if I can get a replacement.

Now I'm worried what may have blown it.

Now you have found the problem. The fuse is a 20 amp, 250volt fuse, and you may find it locally, or you may have to get one from Grizzly. Just make sure you get the one that is rated correctly.

This will most likely take care of your issues. I have no idea why it blew, but maybe it was a spike or surge when plugged in, or who knows, but at least you now have a direction to go in.

That black box is the inverter.........the circuit board, and all the transistors, etc. make up the inverter.

dirk martin
12-06-2010, 3:24 PM
More info....
As I mentioned before, the shaft on the motor turns "lumpy".
I took the belt off, and just turned the pully on the motor shaft, alone.
In doing so, I noticed that the two allen wrench screws that hold the pully on the shaft, were backed way out.
So, I tightened them both down.
They were several turns loose. As tho the assembly person simply forgot to tighten.
Even so, the pully was not loose on the shaft, as I believe they are press fitted on, anyway.

So, like I said, I tightened both down...one on the key, and one onto the shaft.

I'll get a replacment fuse, and see what happens next.

The motor shaft is still turning lumpy....and what ever is causing that, probably blew the fuse....and will more than likely happen again.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 3:32 PM
More info....
As I mentioned before, the shaft on the motor turns "lumpy".
I took the belt off, and just turned the pully on the motor shaft, alone.
In doing so, I noticed that the two allen wrench screws that hold the pully on the shaft, were backed way out.
So, I tightened them both down.
They were several turns loose. As tho the assembly person simply forgot to tighten.
Even so, the pully was not loose on the shaft, as I believe they are press fitted on, anyway.

So, like I said, I tightened both down...one on the key, and one onto the shaft.

I'll get a replacment fuse, and see what happens next.

The motor shaft is still turning lumpy....and what ever is causing that, probably blew the fuse....and will more than likely happen again.

If that is the case, then Grizzly will remedy it for you. They stand behind their product. Just make sure you get all the issues discussed with the tech support guys, and document your conversation for future reference.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 5:50 PM
Dirk,

In my opinion, I think once you get your lathe running that everything will smooth out as it runs for a while. Sometimes new machinery can be a little stiff, and it needs power to it, and to be run for awhile, and things smooth out.

I think your problem is that somehow the fuse blew when it got power, maybe a surge, or something...........anyway, Grizzly tech support will guide you through to satisfaction one way or another.

The more I have used my G0698, the smoother it gets. I think it is just the nature of mechanical things.

Fred Belknap
12-06-2010, 9:04 PM
My new lathe came today. Just a month early, Grizzly told me the boat was due in Dec 25 and about a week later they would ship. Got an e-mail last week that it was shipped. Got it assembled and running. The variable speed works great, it is a little like my PC you turn it on and it does a couple things before it starts, kinda like soft start. Couple thing I'm not very pleased with, seems like there always is. It is about 3' taller than my old one, I might have to get some cowboy boots. The biggest thing is that the banjo will only accept Grizzly toolrest. My other one is the same way but I looked at the specks and it said 1" toolrest. they evidently didn't mean the post. I'll have to do something there. Over all I'm pretty happy with it. I turned the bed upside down and bolted the legs on and I thought I was going to have to get someone to help me set it on its feet. I blocked it up about 10 inches then gave it jerk and lung and it landed on it's feet.

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 9:24 PM
My new lathe came today. Just a month early, Grizzly told me the boat was due in Dec 25 and about a week later they would ship. Got an e-mail last week that it was shipped. Got it assembled and running. The variable speed works great, it is a little like my PC you turn it on and it does a couple things before it starts, kinda like soft start. Couple thing I'm not very pleased with, seems like there always is. It is about 3' taller than my old one, I might have to get some cowboy boots. The biggest thing is that the banjo will only accept Grizzly toolrest. My other one is the same way but I looked at the specks and it said 1" toolrest. they evidently didn't mean the post. I'll have to do something there. Over all I'm pretty happy with it. I turned the bed upside down and bolted the legs on and I thought I was going to have to get someone to help me set it on its feet. I blocked it up about 10 inches then gave it jerk and lung and it landed on it's feet.

Fred,

The machining on the hole in the banjo is just a smidgen under 1 inch [think .002]. I opened mine up with a 1" diameter grinding wheel. You can get them at the hardware store with a cone shaped front end, and just put it in a hand held drill and drill it out. Take about 2 minutes. I does not affect the locking handle ability to lock the post into the banjo, and you can still adjust the height of the tool rest. Just keep the same plane as the current hole with your angle.

If you do this you should be able to accept aftermarket tool rests. I purchased one from CSUSA,[curved for bowls] and the post was advertised at 1", but it was actually over .005 and now I can use it, as well as my original.

As you use yours you will see it runs smoother the more you use it. For the large size turnings like half a log blank use the low belt setting and it gives you great torque. You can turn to 1200 rpm on the low belt setting.

Glad you got it up and going........

Roger Chandler
12-06-2010, 9:43 PM
Fred,

Your feet can be adjusted up or down. Just make sure you keep the bed level end to end and front to back to keep your centers aligned.

If you need it lower than it will go with the feet attached, then you can remove them altogether and let the lathe rest on the leg castings, but I would put a small piece of rubber mat underneath to soak up any possible vibrations, and make sure it stays level with shims in case your floor is not level.

Cecil Walborn
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I have just being a reader of the thread so far this is the first time I replied or posted any thing here. Love read what everyone it doing.

I got a grizzly G0698 this summer. It started to run then it did just what you are describing. I talk with the tech and they said it was something that was done wrong in the factory. They sent me a new head stock and it has being running just great since. Hope you get it up and running cause I think will enjoy it a lot.

dirk martin
12-07-2010, 1:23 AM
I've searched Ace Hardware, Menards, 2 auto motive stores, and Radio Shack, to no avail.

Last try will be Lowes hardware.

Seems to be almost an impossible fuse to find locally.

dirk martin
12-07-2010, 1:25 AM
Did they make you send the old head stock back?

Roger Chandler
12-07-2010, 9:17 AM
They are available at Amazon.com

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IDebOJCTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think Cecil gave you confirmation that if something is wrong Grizzly will do all they can to get your lathe right.

If something is not right from the factory, they will replace the headstock for you.

I hate this happened to you, but Grizzly will honor their warranty, and perhaps if you can locate that fuse, then maybe that will take care of it..........I would make sure I told the tech guys at Grizzly what you experienced, and the fuse blew, and follow what they say to do..........they may just want to send you a new headstock.

So far, I could not have asked for better performance from the G0698 that I have.........I think it is a very good lathe!

Cecil also confirmed that once his replacement came, the lathe has been great. sometimes a new employee at a factory can mess up and his mistake is not caught for some reason..........China I am sure is no exception..........this is not Grizzly's fault, IMO, but they will get it right for you.

Cecil Walborn
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes I had to send the old one back. They paid for all the shipping cost because it is under warranty.

dirk martin
12-07-2010, 5:17 PM
Well, I've been all over the place, and can't find a fuse.
Grizzly never called me back, so I had to call them this afternoon.
They seemed knowledgeable on this lathe, and the guy in Tech Support, said he's going to send me a new inverter (that whole black unit bolted on the back of the headstock).

So, that's where I sit.

Roger Chandler
12-07-2010, 5:20 PM
Well, I've been all over the place, and can't find a fuse.
Grizzly never called me back, so I had to call them this afternoon.
They seemed knowledgeable on this lathe, and the guy in Tech Support, said he's going to send me a new inverter (that whole black unit bolted on the back of the headstock).

So, that's where I sit.

Dirk,

Did the tech guy give you any indication of what he thought was the problem with the inverter? What was his response to your "lumpy" rotation issue?

Any information as to this happening to other units?

dirk martin
12-07-2010, 5:41 PM
He gave no indication as to why the he suspects the inverter.
He said nothing about this happening to additional units.

He said there is a strong magnet inside the motor housing, and that the lumpy feel I'm getting when turning the spindle by hand is normal, as I'm feeling the magnet working.

Roger Chandler
12-07-2010, 6:11 PM
He gave no indication as to why the he suspects the inverter.
He said nothing about this happening to additional units.

He said there is a strong magnet inside the motor housing, and that the lumpy feel I'm getting when turning the spindle by hand is normal, as I'm feeling the magnet working.

That makes sense, as electric motors run off magnets. The stator would certainly cause a strong pull on the unit when off.
This kind of makes me think that the tech guy is on to the correct thing.

Jon Nuckles
12-09-2010, 4:26 PM
Dirk,

I hope your experience is better than mine. I received my G0698 after a long backorder wait, during which the delivery date was pushed back several times for reasons that Grizzly could not or would not explain.

When I received the lathe in August of this year, it refused to start most - but not all - of the time. The red "0" would light up, accurately describing the lathe's rpms, but nothing else would happen. If I rotated the work piece by hand about an eighth to a quarter of a turn, the motor would sometimes try to kick in, but the internal breaker would almost always trip. Then I'd turn it off, hit the reset button, and try again. Once in a while, it would start and I could turn. Once it started, it ran very smoothly.

Grizzly customer service was always polite and seemed to want to help. Unfortunately, they had no solutions to offer. They referred the problem to their engineers, then up another level (they said "because of the dollar amount involved"). After about 2 weeks and many phone conversations with Grizzly, they sent me a new headstock, which they said they had tested before they sent it out. Unfortunately, it exhibited exactly the same behavior as the first.

Grizzly and I had several more conversations, but they never had anything to tell me other than that their engineers were working on the problem. I took it upon myself to test the voltage at my shop (it was 242) and asked Grizzly if that could be a problem, but they said that should be fine.

After a week with the new headstock, Grizzly called to say that they didn't have a solution and didn't know when they might. They offered to take back the lathe and refund my money, or said I could keep the lathe and wait for them to come up with a solution. I asked if I was the only one with the problem, or whether it was more general. The rep said he could not comment on that, but that the number of people working on the problem at Grizzly should tell me all that I needed to know.

I chose to return the lathe and Grizzly did refund my money. It was a hassle dealing with two deliveries and a return, and I spent a lot of time on the phone. On the positive side, Grizzly was always responsive and they stood behind their product. And, when the G0698 did run, it was a pleasure to use and I was bitten by the turning bug. So much so that, when Powermatic ran its recent sale, I bought a 3520.

Perhaps your lathe's problem is different; Grizzly never suggested I might have blown a fuse, and I doubt the lathe would have started occasionally if that had been the case. Good luck with the repair, and my experience suggests that Grizzly will treat you fairly even if they cannot fix the problem.

Roger Chandler
12-09-2010, 5:11 PM
Jon,

Thank you for posting the experience you had with Grizzly, and your G0698. For the life of me I cannot understand the reasons for the difference in the experiences you and Dirk have reported and my experience.

Somebody is dropping the ball somewhere in the inspection or something at the factory, in my opinion.

To date, almost a year later, I have not had one single problem with my lathe. It has run so smooth, and the power, torque and performance has been outstanding.

If they could get mine, and many others that I know of right, then why can't they get them all right? I suspect that there is some sort of issue with a new employee at the factory in China that is not doing something correctly, and it has slipped by QC inspection.

In my opinion, every single unit should be put through a QC inspection, especially the electronics part.

It bothers me immensely, :( that a number of folks have read my reviews on this and the AAW forum, and have taken a chance. My experience has been great, and now others are having issues.

I know that I personally have no affiliation with Grizzly, or none of this is anything I have control over, but my review is my true experience, and now others are having these problems. Frankly, it bums me out! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess in the grand scheme of things, that this lathe has not had any more problems than say the Jet, but it still bugs me, and for those who have gotten theirs, I truly hope it performs like mine has, and gives them many long and reliable years of service.

I believe Grizzly tries hard to be a good company and gives good customer service, but I anxiously await hearing positive resolution on these few that have reported a problem.

dirk martin
12-09-2010, 9:04 PM
Darn, I sure wish Jon would have posted his experience, back when he was going thru the issue. I probably wouldn't have ordered it in that case.

Whatever...not much I can do now.

Since I started this thread, I'll keep everyone posted.
I'm watching the mail every day, waiting for my new inverter.
My fingers are crossed.

Jon Nuckles
12-09-2010, 9:35 PM
Roger,

I was a close reader of your posts, particularly the AAW thread, when I was researching lathes. I also share a shop with another woodworker, and he has a Grizzly bandsaw and jointer that are good quality tools. The G0698 was a new product, and I had read that previous Grizzly lathes had not been up to the level of their other woodworking machines, so I was a little hesitant at first. The G0698's specs were head and shoulders above similarly priced lathes, so I decided to take a chance.

When it did run, the Grizzly was solid and smooth. There was some "hunting" at low speeds, as others have commented elsewhere, but overall it did what I wanted it to. If Grizzly could have fixed the problem with starting the lathe, I could have been very happy with it.

Most importantly to me, I discovered that I really enjoyed turning while using the Grizzly. I enjoyed it enough that I would go through the process of pushing the start button, rotating the stock, and pushing the reset button for 10 minutes at a time in order to get it running. Once it was running, though, I didn't stop the lathe to inspect my progress, believe me!

Grizzly treated me fairly and gave me my money back when they couldn't solve the problem. Maybe I just got a couple of lemon headstocks, and maybe Grizzly has figured out by now what is causing the problems. In any case, I don't regret the purchase and certainly don't blame anyone for posting their honest, positive experiences with the lathe.

I would not have spent the money for a Powermatic if I hadn't had the experience of turning with the Grizzly. I love my new 3520, but the Grizzly would have been a great value if it had started consistently. Now I just have to become a skilled enough turner to justify my purchase.

Jon

Jon Nuckles
12-09-2010, 9:58 PM
Dirk,

I sent you a pm. I wish I had posted sooner, also. As I said in the pm, though, there is reason to think your problem is different and you may end up very happy with your purchase. In addition to the the blown fuse, which I did not have, my lathe continued to start once in a while, and the variable speed control worked when it was running. I hope the new inverter fixes your problems. If it does, you will have a very nice lathe for the money.

Jon

Roger Chandler
12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Roger,

I was a close reader of your posts, particularly the AAW thread, when I was researching lathes. I also share a shop with another woodworker, and he has a Grizzly bandsaw and jointer that are good quality tools. The G0698 was a new product, and I had read that previous Grizzly lathes had not been up to the level of their other woodworking machines, so I was a little hesitant at first. The G0698's specs were head and shoulders above similarly priced lathes, so I decided to take a chance.

When it did run, the Grizzly was solid and smooth. There was some "hunting" at low speeds, as others have commented elsewhere, but overall it did what I wanted it to. If Grizzly could have fixed the problem with starting the lathe, I could have been very happy with it.

Most importantly to me, I discovered that I really enjoyed turning while using the Grizzly. I enjoyed it enough that I would go through the process of pushing the start button, rotating the stock, and pushing the reset button for 10 minutes at a time in order to get it running. Once it was running, though, I didn't stop the lathe to inspect my progress, believe me!

Grizzly treated me fairly and gave me my money back when they couldn't solve the problem. Maybe I just got a couple of lemon headstocks, and maybe Grizzly has figured out by now what is causing the problems. In any case, I don't regret the purchase and certainly don't blame anyone for posting their honest, positive experiences with the lathe.

I would not have spent the money for a Powermatic if I hadn't had the experience of turning with the Grizzly. I love my new 3520, but the Grizzly would have been a great value if it had started consistently. Now I just have to become a skilled enough turner to justify my purchase.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I appreciate your reply. I sure hope Grizzly gets this figured out, and makes a correction at the factory. I have a feeling that the QC guys at Grizzly will be visiting the plant in China, and try to find out what is happening.

Sometimes attitudes over there are not quite what ours are over here [different value systems, I guess] but Grizzly should get it resolved in the near future, one would think.

Fred Belknap
12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I got my G0698 Monday and got it set up that night. I have turned a couple blanks on it now and so far it has worked great. I really suck that a couple of you guys have have had problems and Roger I don't think you have any reason to feel bad. It so far has been a very nice lathe. One issue that I had was the banjo. After market tool rest would not fit. I clamped it to DP table and run a 1" drill bit through it and it now works fine. The original tool rest still works fine in it. It was about three inches taller than my old one but after using it I liked that. I did take the metal feet off and bolted it to the concrete floor in my shop. I also set it up so I have good access to the back side as I sometimes like to work from that side. It saves leaning way over the lathe when hollowing.
Grizzly may have some issues to get worked out and I am confident that they will. I have a few other Grizzly machines and they have worked quite well. So far I'm a happy camper.:D:D

Roger Chandler
12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I got my G0698 Monday and got it set up that night. I have turned a couple blanks on it now and so far it has worked great. I really suck that a couple of you guys have have had problems and Roger I don't think you have any reason to feel bad. It so far has been a very nice lathe. One issue that I had was the banjo. After market tool rest would not fit. I clamped it to DP table and run a 1" drill bit through it and it now works fine. The original tool rest still works fine in it. It was about three inches taller than my old one but after using it I liked that. I did take the metal feet off and bolted it to the concrete floor in my shop. I also set it up so I have good access to the back side as I sometimes like to work from that side. It saves leaning way over the lathe when hollowing.
Grizzly may have some issues to get worked out and I am confident that they will. I have a few other Grizzly machines and they have worked quite well. So far I'm a happy camper.:D:D

Fred,

That is so good to hear! :) I also appreciate your kind words. I guess lathes are like cars.......some are built and are mechanically sound. Some are built, and have problems. Kind of reminds me what I heard from a guy who worked at an auto plant..........

His advice was don't buy a car built on a Monday morning [employee's have hangovers from drinking over the weekend] and don't buy one that was built on Friday afternoons.........[employees wanting to get out and start the weekend taking shortcuts, and not always getting all the parts installed]

Well I must have gotten a lathe that was built during one of the good days, because mine has been superb! I sure hope yours is too! :D;):D

Glad to hear you got yours settled at the correct height for you, and got the banjo to accept your toolrest.

Be sure and post some of your turnings from time to time! Welcome to the Grizzly group on SMC!

Roger Corder
12-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Well I know how you feel now.

my grizzly lathe lasted a week then it quit working. I was turning a bottle stopper at about 1200 rpm then all the sudden it went full speed then stopped. checked fuse its not just blown it was completely busted no glass just the ends left.

I think speed control is bad since it went full speed.

I will be calling Grizzly Monday to see if they will send a new speed controller.

Roger Corder

Roger Chandler
12-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Well I know how you feel now.

my grizzly lathe lasted a week then it quit working. I was turning a bottle stopper at about 1200 rpm then all the sudden it went full speed then stopped. checked fuse its not just blown it was completely busted no glass just the ends left.

I think speed control is bad since it went full speed.

I will be calling Grizzly Monday to see if they will send a new speed controller.

Roger Corder

Roger,

Man, that is a bummer! I think Grizzly has an issue on their hands, and they need to track down the source of the problem. I think they might have to have tech services go over these who have had problems and get their inverters reprogrammed or something.

My G0698 has not had one single problem in the year I have owned and used it. If they can get mine correct, they can get yours that way also. I am guessing that there is some employee at the factory in China who is not doing something correctly and it has gotten by. I hope that Grizzly will insist on every single unit being fully inspected by quality control people before a unit is shipped. If they don't get a handle on this, then they will lose reputation and sales.

I think the G0698 can be a great lathe, but they must get this issue addressed. This is 4 units now I have heard of a problem with, and they all came with this last shipment from China.
Hang in there, and insist on the tech folks getting this correct. You have a 30 day return policy for a full refund if not, but I believe Grizzly will do their best to get the problem solved.

Frank Denny
12-12-2010, 1:07 PM
Please keep us updated on the G0698 problems. I bought a Craftex CT128N here in Canada from Busy Bee tools and from all indications it is the same as your Grizzly but different color. Have had no problems as yet but have hardly used it.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/WOOD-LATHE-18IN.-X47IN.-W%7B47%7DDIG-READ-OUT-CT128N.html

Roger Corder
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Well I called Grizzly today and they wanted me to check and test a few things.

First was to replace the fuse. it blew as soon as I turned it on
second I unhooked the motor leads and replaced the fuse again. I turned it on and it blew. it blew so hard it blew the fuse holder off the circuit board.

that ended testing.

I think the inverter has a very bad short.

I will be calling Grizzly back tomorrow to see if they will send me an inverter.

Roger

Roger Chandler
12-14-2010, 8:24 AM
Roger,

Please let us know how Grizzly resolves this issue for you. I am very interested since I have this lathe, and I am sure that Grizzly will get this taken care of. I am confident that the tech people are working on this, as we know of 4 units from the last shipment that came in from china that have had an issue. I guess all the others who got them are fine, or likely we would have heard about it.

My G0698 has been great for a year now..........I just think they had an inverter issue, and will replace them..........hopefully with fully tested ones! Hang in there, as Grizzly is known for their good customer service.

Roger Corder
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Ok just got off the phone with the Grizzly tech and they are sending me a new inverter. he said the last on they had in stock.

when I mentioned the problems with people where having he said that my machine was from an earlier
shipment amd my inverter board was different.

Roger, Dirk, Fred would you please post the date your machine was made. it's on the machine where the
serial number is.

mine is June,2010.

Roger

Roger Chandler
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Ok just got off the phone with the Grizzly tech and they are sending me a new inverter. he said the last on they had in stock.

when I mentioned the problems with people where having he said that my machine was from an earlier

Roger, Dirk, Fred would you please post the date your machine was made. it's on the machine where the
serial number is.

mine is June,2010. Roger

Roger,

Mine is October 2009 My serial # is 10009, and I think that it is likely the 9th unit off the line of the Grizzly lineup on this lathe. I think there was one or two other shipments between mine and yours. I am pretty sure at least one, but I think there were 2.

Grizzly should have had the time to test the new inverter they are sending to you, and that should make it good. I still think they need to tighten up on QC at the factory, if it is possible for them to do so. You never know what the gov't. over there will allow!

Fred Belknap
12-14-2010, 8:33 PM

serial number is.

mine is June,2010.

Roger

Mine is dated June 2010
Fred

Roger Chandler
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
I just read a post on the AAW thread from David Stratton who got his G0698 yesterday, and no problems, and he is loving it! He had read of some of the problems, but says everything is great with his.

Grizzly is addressing the issue, and I believe they will get things worked out for those who will allow time for them to get what parts or whatever they need to do..........they try hard to give good customer service.

I still believe the G0698 is a good lathe, but as with all things, a problem or 2 will arise............but Grizzly is definitely working to correct the issues.

Roger Corder
12-15-2010, 7:55 AM
My lathe work great for a week . it just quit while I was turning a bottle stopper

They have a great lathe if they can get the issues corrected.

Thanks Roger and Fred

Roger

Roger Chandler
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Roger,

When David Stratton posted, he said he got an electronics sheet with his G0698. I was wondering if you will get one with the replacement inverter that Grizzly is sending you? Most likely you will..........which leads me to the question........when you get your new one installed, will you give us some information on the process? How difficult, or not at all to install, etc, .........any issues encountered with the installation.

I hope that you will get Grizzly tech support on the phone and have them walk you through the installation as you do the work, if you need it, as some folks are more adept at these kinds of things than others. I hope it is that way for you, but that is why tech support is there!

Looking forward to hearing about the process!

Roger Chandler
12-15-2010, 1:27 PM
Hi guys,

I got new information from Grizzly on this issue, and it should reassure everyone. I started a new thread, so make sure you look at the email I was sent from the QC manager from Grizzly on the G0698. You will like what you read, I think!

Roger Corder
12-15-2010, 1:42 PM
Roger,

When I recieved my lathe it had a wiring diagram in the back of the manual and another print out of the wiring on another piece of paper.

as for installing the new inverter I don't think it will be very hard to do ,its just unlanding wires on one and relanding them on the new inverter. I will let you know how it goes.

by the way I'm an Instrumentation and control tech for a power generating company

Roger

Roger Chandler
12-15-2010, 1:50 PM
Roger,

When I recieved my lathe it had a wiring diagram in the back of the manual and another print out of the wiring on another piece of paper.

as for installing the new inverter I don't think it will be very hard to do ,its just unlanding wires on one and relanding them on the new inverter. I will let you know how it goes.

by the way I'm an Instrumentation and control tech for a power generating company

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Sounds like you have everything under control! Your electronics knowledge should serve you well here. Did you see the email I got from Grizzly that I posted? It identified the issue with a small number of defective circuit boards from Toshiba, and they are working to get it fixed as fast as possible.

Roger Corder
12-15-2010, 3:11 PM
I saw the email you posted .....I have no doubt Grizzly will make it good.

dirk martin
01-09-2011, 4:03 PM
Update:

Got my new inverter.
Installed.
Machine runs great, except the speed knob does nothing. Runs at maximum speed, all the time.
Called Grizzly.
Dude said he'd send me a new speed knob thingy.
Should have been here yesterday.
Out of frustration, I took off face plate today to dbl check all wires. Everything looks fine. Tapped on speed reostat from behind with handle of screwdriver a few times.
Powered it up again for the heck of it.
Now, it runs fine. Speed control works perfectly. Even turns at super slow speeds under 100rpm (others complained it wouldn't)

Roger Chandler
01-09-2011, 4:56 PM
Update:

Got my new inverter.
Installed.
Machine runs great, except the speed knob does nothing. Runs at maximum speed, all the time.
Called Grizzly.
Dude said he'd send me a new speed knob thingy.
Should have been here yesterday.
Out of frustration, I took off face plate today to dbl check all wires. Everything looks fine. Tapped on speed reostat from behind with handle of screwdriver a few times.
Powered it up again for the heck of it.
Now, it runs fine. Speed control works perfectly. Even turns at super slow speeds under 100rpm (others complained it wouldn't)

Congrats Dirk.....I will have to keep that "fix" for the speed control on file in the back of my mind, although I have never had the first problem with mine. I hope you get many years of great service from your G0698. I think it is a good lathe, and just had a few issues that Grizzly is getting a handle on.

Happy turning!