PDA

View Full Version : Umeke memento

Chris Colman
12-05-2010, 6:19 PM
Having spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii in October, I had to make a memento of our vacation there.

This is my version of a Gregg Smith bowl I saw while I was there.

It is a prototype, made out of cherry, maple and purpleheart. I plan on making another out of Koa soon.

The figures are based on Hawaiian Petroglyph carvings.

I have not applied a finish yet, just sanding sealer and sanded to 500.

It is about 5-1/2 inches tall and 6 inches wide.

Aloha! :cool:

Paul Douglass
12-05-2010, 6:41 PM
That is an awesome bowl!!

Jay Rasmussen
12-05-2010, 6:45 PM
Well done Chris!

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 6:58 PM
Chris, that is neat! I like the Petroglyphs as a feature ring - I assume they are burned in?

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 7:30 PM
Pretty cool... I love the petroglyph of the fisherman and the way the fish is located below the feature ring.

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 7:48 PM
Mele Kalikimaka:cool:! That's a great remembrance and well done too!:D

Chris Colman
12-05-2010, 8:39 PM
Yeah, the figures are burned in.

I think next time I will burn them a little deeper or wider.

I did the horizontal lines freehand with the woodburning tool this time. Next time I will try to wire burn it on the lathe. My hand is too shaky!

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 9:15 PM
Really a neat piece.

john snowdon
12-06-2010, 7:21 PM
Beautifully crafted, Chris. The petroglyphs are a great idea.

Baxter Smith
12-06-2010, 7:49 PM
Great piece and memento!

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2010, 7:58 PM
Chris, I spent 10 months in Hawaii when I got out of the Army in 1985, I worked on a construction crew for a real estate company. We did a lot of remodeling and repairs to thier holdings on island. I wish I had been into turning then, but surfing and girls were more important!

You did a fine job on this piece the burnings give it a very ethnic feel, I agree that Koa wood will be very beautiful on your next one. Thanks for sharing and glad you had a good trip.

Jeff

David Reed
12-06-2010, 8:42 PM
I enjoyed this bowl very much as I have spent a fair bit of time in the Islands plus it is a very nicely proportioned and finished bowl. The petroglyphs do add a nice uniqueness to it, I just don't recall seeing the surfer and the feet "prints" anywhere but on the T-shirts. Perhaps I overlooked them.
Very nice and will be even nicer in Koa. It is such a dark wood that the burning may not stand out well. Perhaps leave the lighter feature ring for this purpose

John W Dixon
12-06-2010, 9:19 PM
Wow, I like this one a lot. Very nice job.

John

Tim Rinehart
12-06-2010, 9:46 PM
I like the bowl and pyro work, it's well done. I like petroglyph art in general, and the variety of them depending on origin.
Can't wait to see Koa version. I'm sure it will be stunning. Something worth thinking about, or experimenting...is whether the pyro will not stand out enough, to use some sort of filler inside the void from the burning?