PDA

View Full Version : The lost Titan or a V120

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
12-05-2010, 5:44 PM
I have a couple of SN2 chucks as wall as several set of jaws. I have been very pleased with them. I am now turning larger bowls to the limit of my jet 1642 and have thought of a larger chuck. The Titan is said to be re-tooled and reintroduced......but I have not heard or seen anything. Does any one out there in the Vortex know of the status of the Tekatool Titan? The other option for me is the Vicmarc 120 (5in vs.5 1/2in). Any comments on the V120 and any way I can get my Nova jaws to fit on the Vic?
Thanks.... to the all knowing Vortex....Richard

Clint Baxter
12-05-2010, 6:08 PM
Vicmarc has a VM150 available through Craft Supplies that is bigger yet. As to compatability, I found the following on the AAW forums.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5401

Good luck

Clint

Alan Trout
12-05-2010, 9:05 PM
Richard I think the SN2 chucks are fine for a lathe of your capacity. I have turned pieces of wood over 60lbs with mywith the SN2. With the proper jaws it is cable of a piece 29" in diameter according to Teknatool.

I have heard the same thing about the Titan and I bet if it is to be re-introduced I bet it will be about the same time as their new big lathe.

Now if you just want to spend money the Vicmarc 120 is a great chuck a club member bought a VM 150 and it is a really pretty chuck but huge and unless you are turning huge pieces I see no real need.

I also own a Oneway Stronghold which is also a very nice large chuck.

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 9:13 PM
I like my Vic VM120 for big stuff. It just holds.

Harry Robinette
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Richard
I have 2 Super Nova's ,1 super II,and a Titan the Titan is really nice for my Vega 2600 but I also just use my super Nova's they'll hold bowls up to 18 to 20 inch with no problems.If you make your tenon so the jaws are at the point of making a circle and use a rather large jaw then I don't see a problem.I use 100mm jaws on the Super nova and they work.

Scott Hackler
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I have turned several 15 1/2" chunks of maple, 9-10" tall with my SN2 and this chuck worked just fine. I did put the 75mm jaws on it and turned a dovetailed recess to hold the blank but it worked great. FYI

My only negative with a SN2 is the allen wrench inserts have become slightly worn and I can see a point in the future where I WILL have to tear the chuck apart, order the parts and rebuild it. Some of the other chucks use a geared tool/insert and I dont think they would wear out very often.

neil mackay
12-06-2010, 8:13 AM
I run 5 SN2 chucks and have had no problems at all with them.I was fortunate to get three of the older type SN2 deluxe with diameter of 5" or so, which is basically a early Titan. They will hold 29" no trouble at all and can go to 30+.

Scott, Check your Allen wrench for wear, as I find that mine wears before the chuck does. I have ground my Allen wrench back to a good hex as I found the ball end id prone to wear fairly quickly, but this is common with any well used Ball end Allen wrench.

Scott Hackler
12-06-2010, 8:38 AM
Neil, I did cut the ball off my t-wrench and that made it usable again. I do, however, think that because I was using a worn wrench I will have to replace the inserts at some time.

neil mackay
12-06-2010, 8:43 PM
Neil, I did cut the ball off my t-wrench and that made it usable again. I do, however, think that because I was using a worn wrench I will have to replace the inserts at some time.

Darn, the inserts are supposed to be harder and more durable than the Allen Wrenches I would question the agent about the possibility of a bad batch of chucks or inserts.