PDA

View Full Version : Thickness Planer Adjustment Question

Kent Chasson
12-05-2010, 5:30 PM
Most stationary planers I've used have enough tension/drag in the table height adjustment that I've rarely had to lock down the table before planing. I used to only do it for my final pass. My current planer seems to have loosened up and the table will work it's way down a bit while planing. Is there a way to adjust the tension and tighten things up? Can't find anything in the manual or the parts diagram.

The locking screws are awkward enough that it's a pain to lock them and unlock them for each pass, particularly if you are only doing a board or two at a time.

The planer is a Jet 15".

Thanks.

Mark Rakestraw
12-05-2010, 5:52 PM
It may be your blades are dull. The duller the knives the more downward force it puts on the boards.

James Baker SD
12-05-2010, 5:53 PM
I have the same planer except it is painted gold. It was completely apart a couple of months ago for a major repair (a previous thread) and I did not see any tension adjustment on the raise/lower mechanism per se. Maybe if you checked the tensioner pulley on the chain and make sure it is tight so all 4 screws have to move absolutely in sync, that may add a bit of friction.

If you are up to modifying things, maybe a nylon set screw somewhere on the shaft of the hand crank for adjusting height would add some friction.

I moved the locking knobs to the other side of the planer (same side as the height adjuster and on/off switch) so at least I do not have to keep reaching from side and side and that helps a lot. One knob does begin to hit the gearbox with this arrangement, but only when I am planing something like 1/8" thickness and I have switched to the drum sander by this time so it is not an issue for me.

James

Paul M Miller
12-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a Bridgewood 15" and shove a wedge between the crank wheel and planer body. The wedge is similar to a building shim, but about 1/2" thick at the point of contact. It doesn't take much pressure to keep the wheel from turning, even with dull blades. I only use the clamp screws when planing a big batch of boards. It only takes a second to pull the wedgw, turn the wheel and replace the wedge.

Paul

george wilson
12-06-2010, 12:53 PM
These 4 post planers have a design limitation built into them: The hollow cast iron posts can get squeezed a little,and allow the table to slip downwards under pressure of taking a big cut.

Our maintenance dept. asked mr to look at their 15" Jet,because it wouldn't stay adjusted when they took 3/16" cuts. That was my conclusion.

I also have a 15" Bridgewood,but I don't try to hog off wood,and it has been fine for me. Of course,I'm not an active commercial cabinet shop.