PDA

View Full Version : spalted walnut hf

Bill Bolen
12-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Second to last piece of this Walnut with spalted heart wood. This one is 6" tall (8 with the finial) and 7" wide. Finished with gloss poly. After looking at the pic I think I'd better sand it again. There seem to be a few unnoticed pits in the sapwood. The finial looked ok to me on the bench, but after really looking at the pic I think a bit of adjustment is in order here also. Comments and criticism are always welcomed...Bill..

Fred Belknap
12-05-2010, 12:25 PM
From here it sure looks good. I like the design, finish, final, whats not to like.:)

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 1:09 PM
Bill, I bet you are kind of sad to see this stuff get used up - it has been a nice run of pieces for you. I like this piece - of course, I like lidded pieces anyway. On the finial, it looks good, though perhaps a little taller might work better. Still, a very fine piece.

Robert McGowen
12-05-2010, 1:14 PM
You definitely have that gloss finish down pat. I like the shape of the hollow form. No clue on the finial.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 1:35 PM
Nice - very nice! Sure like your finish! Finials are always subject to change. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with - should you decide to change this one!

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 1:41 PM
Bill,

I think I need sunglasses to look at this one! ;) Wow what a pretty piece. Perfection in form! Who can do anything but admire your finish technique........just stunning and inspiring to me!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

George Morris
12-05-2010, 1:41 PM
Bill looks great, nice work beautiful piece of wood! G

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 1:54 PM
Beautiful form Bill :D. I no fan of gloss anything, but some people are:rolleyes: Since I can't do lids or finials, those are great ;)!!

Ken Glass
12-05-2010, 2:00 PM
Bill,
That Spalted walnut you have been getting has some great character. Sorry your out of it. All the pieces you've shown have been great. This one is no exception. The proportions seem right on and I always appreciate your finishes. Keep up the great work.

Baxter Smith
12-05-2010, 2:33 PM
Very neat piece of walnut. The form is nice as always!

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 2:37 PM
I love the main form, and there's no shortage of shine.:cool:

The finial is a bit understated for my taste, so perhaps a bit larger and/or darker would make it stand out a little more.

I'm sorry to see this wood stash come to an end for you... It really does well in your hands.

gary Zimmel
12-05-2010, 4:54 PM
Real nice form Bill. And I love the "glow in the dark" finish...

Doug Reesor
12-05-2010, 5:00 PM
Bill,

I really like the shape of the vessel and am partial to high gloss finishes so you really caught my eye with this one. If I could make one suggestion on the lid, I would put a slight bit of concavity on the lid leading up to your finial. Considering all the the other beautiful curves in the piece, the line of the lid is just a bit to straight for me. I do think it is a great piece overall.

Doug

dan carter
12-05-2010, 5:12 PM
Nice shape, the wood has beauty written all over it, shorter finials becken to be removed, taller finials don't. To each their own. You always could turn another finial making it taller, then you could make final decision. I suspect on this forum, the taller finial would be the winning vote getter.

Josh Bowman
12-05-2010, 5:21 PM
I vote, no changes, it looks great. Moving on..... Now waiting for the last piece. Have you got it done yet?:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 5:39 PM
That is a beauty Bill. I might have made the finial slightly taller but what you have there looks great. Nice finish.