PDA

View Full Version : Glue shelf life?

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 8:06 PM
I just heard a tip on a ww show on DIY Network today that wood glue has a shelf life of 1yr. I don't know if I can believe that statement or not.

I currently have a bottle of Titebond #1 glue that is at least 2yrs old and it seems fine to me. I also have a bottle of Titebond #2 and #3 that is less than 3 months old and a bottle of Gorilla Glue that is about 10 months old.

When and where will the glue show signs of failure? Does it change color to indicate that it's gone bad? Does it start to smell? Just looking for information so I can make an informed decision on the glues' and my pattern for disposal.

Jim

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 8:29 PM
The PVA will last a little longer than one year...as long as it doesn't get frozen...but it may get thicker and harder to work with. Glue is best puchased in quanities that you can use in a reasonable amount of time. Even though smaller containers cost more, they cost less than throwing out materials that become unusable!

Polyurethane glues like Gorrilla brand are greatly affected by moisture (that's what cures them) so once they are open, they definitely do not last a long time. An open bottle at 10 months is likely to be "getting there". I only buy that stuff in very small bottles and only buy it when I know I need to use it...which isn't very often.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what to tell you about "judging if glue is still good"...if you have doubts, head to the store for new.

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 8:47 PM
Thanks Jim

mike lucas
01-01-2005, 9:58 PM
I found a nearly full gallon of Titebond II that had been misplaced in the back of my paint storage cabinet. This glue has to be at least 8 years old. I may never have found it, if I hadn't built my new shop.

In the past 3-4 months, I have been using it on unimportant shop cabinets, and jigs. It seams to be fine, other then being much thicker then what I am used too. I am too tight to waste it, so I will find uses for it all.

Other then this gallon, I always buy glue in one gallon jugs to save money. And I have always used it until it is used up. Always being longer then the one year shelf life.

By the way, the one year shelf life is what Titebond has always claimed. But we know better then that.

How many of you eat food that is beyond the expiration date? I know I have a million times. (Ok; maybe a few hundred times!;) )

You can add a small amount of water to glues like titebond I and II. As long as the glue will pour, it should be fine to use on all your projects where you would other wise use this type of glue. My 8-10 year old glue is to old in my opinion to use on projects for paying customers, but it is fine for my projects. And if I needed glue, I may try it on all projects, not just mine.

Erin Stringer
01-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I found an old (2-3 years) bottle of Titebond #1 on the back of a shelf. How did I know it was bad? The inch of mold at the top of the glue was my best indication. Not sure if this helps or not, but its a sure way to tell when good glue goes bad...

Jim Dunn
01-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Wonder if that food Mike was talking about had mold on it ;) Kinda like the 5 second rule aint it?

Byron Trantham
01-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I date mine. When I buy it I put the date I bought it on the bottle. Generally I go through a gallon in one year. I remember when I finished my first gallon; I thought I was hot stuff! :D BTW, towards the end of the year, it does get thicker - Titebond II.

Jim Dunn
01-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I usually date all my fishing line because life of it is limited, but can be extended if stored in a refrigator. Guess I'll date my glue, just to give me a point of reference.

Thanks all,
Jim

Steve Clardy
01-02-2005, 11:09 AM
They always said a year on titebond. Don't really know. But I use about 5-gallon a year, so I don't worry about it. Mine gets used up fairly quickly.

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 11:24 AM
The Polyurethane ..Gorilla glue goes off fast and you really can't tell. I don't use it anymore! I had too many joints fail and I don't trust it.

Epoxy: Seems to not have a shelf life...It will last! Changes color though...turns a bit red.

PVA: about 1 1/2 years I think is safe....The Lee Valley seems quite strong has has more the properties of Hyde or Rivet glue

Jerry Clark
01-02-2005, 11:32 AM
I recently bought some CA glue from Rockler and did not notice it had turned hard until I got home. :mad: I took it back and every bottle on the shelf was hard -- May want to check it before you buy it! Had to go to Woodcraft for some.

Jim Dunn
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Again thanks for the useful information, I'm sure it will help all who read this thread.

Jim

Charlie Plesums
01-02-2005, 11:58 PM
I saw a post a couple years ago by someone who claimed to be one of the chemists who developed PVA glue.

He said that it could be thinned with very small quantities of water, back to original thickness, and was good indefinitely, even with thinning, until the glue started to clot (a chemical reaction, not just evaporation) - at that point it was time to toss.

I don't know if he used the term clot, but I transfer from my gallon of PVA to smaller applicators, and keep refilling them. Occasionally I find what I would call a clot in the bottom of an applicator bottle that has been refilled too often (before it was empty). Not yet solid, but globs together. If you have a clot, you will know it.

Kent Cori
01-03-2005, 4:11 PM
I'm not eating dinner at Mike's! :eek: :D ;)

mike lucas
01-03-2005, 4:13 PM
I'm not eating dinner at Mike's! :eek: :D ;) Ah! come on, my cooking really sticks to you!:eek: Wood you please stop by?;)

Beleive me when I tell you that, I throw all food out before it gets 10 year old.:p

Jim Dunn
01-03-2005, 5:24 PM
Spend about a thousand bucks a year on milk thats 1 day past it's prime. My wife has a thing about that. If it smells good drink it, milk that is. ;)

Mike Vermeil
01-03-2005, 5:56 PM
At a show in Columbus a few years ago, a rep from Titebond gave me this test:

Place a dab of glue on your thumb, and then squish it with a finger. When you pull the thumb & finger appart, if the glue strings out like hot cheese on a pizza, then it's no good. I've used this test ever since then & it always seems to be accurate when compared with the actual age of the glue. Just don't pick your nose after.

Steve Stube
01-03-2005, 6:27 PM
Ah but little grasshoppers I have yellow carpenters glue at more than 20 (twenty) years old and one bottle of Titebond from more than 10 (ten) years ago both products performing well today. I have purposely kept these samples around to prove the point. Do they get thick - yes. Do they get to the point that when tipped upside down no flow is detectable - yes. So I add some water and stir if it is only a little thicker than usual. This depends on how long it was since I last thinned it out. If it has gotten REAL thick, like I can't get it to pour, I add some water and pop it in the microwave with the lid off and heat at the defrost setting - it will blend itself somewhat but once thinned you can shake to mix it.

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 2:08 AM
Sen Say, all that work to save rice from mice, when farmer needs money is shamful :)

Alan Turner
01-04-2005, 3:06 AM
I keep my CA glue in the refrigerator, and do the same with my Unibond 800. Lasts much longer this way. Teh epoxy lasts forever, but the color change is from the can, according to West.
Alan

Greg Scott
01-04-2005, 3:30 AM
Speaking of DIY Woodworking, I just watched that episode last night. Stealth gloat (recorded on my DVR from Dish so I can watch it when I want to). That has got to be the worst woodworking show on the air. He used a band saw to cut the curve for an arts and craft table and then used a stationary belt sander to smooth it out. He didn't even come close to matching the line and said it looked good. This show will be deleted from my search on the DVR so I don't have to see it anymore!

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 3:33 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. But later in the episode the radius was smooth. Must of had the camera guy finish it for him.

At least he had a pretty nice dog.

Dan Mages
01-04-2005, 4:58 AM
Glue is rather cheap. If you question the stability of the glue, chuck it and spend $4 antother.

3 bits, adjusted for inflation

Dan

Ralph Morris
01-04-2005, 9:44 PM
But where does it start it's date? Just after the factory caps it or when you open it? How long has that bottle been on the store shelf? Now it is starting to get stamped "date" just like those food stuff....?....:confused:

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Gonna have a born on date just like the King! Course I've not drank/tasted glue since grade school :) But how is one to know?