PDA

View Full Version : Disable drop down door interlocks

Joe De Medeiros
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I need to do an oversize piece 24x24, do you just put a magnet on the switches, or is there another way to do this. Also any tips on aligning the 2 half's, I was thinking index holes in the waste area and rotating 180deg, I realize that any continuous pattern will show the joining areas, it doesn't have to be perfect, it's for a game board for my nephew.

Larry Bratton
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Not too familiar with a Zing, but on my Ext the front panel is removable. I have, on occasion, when needed to do a piece 48" long, I would remove the front, manipulate the graphic in Corel so I could turn the piece around. So, if your front panel is removable that would be one way to do it. I don't think you want to mess with those interlocks.

Doug Griffith
12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Also any tips on aligning the 2 half's, I was thinking index holes in the waste area and rotating 180deg, I realize that any continuous pattern will show the joining areas, it doesn't have to be perfect, it's for a game board for my nephew.

Index holes work well. Use a sacrificial spoiler board beneath the work piece with a couple dowel pins.

For the graphic, one thing you can do is run the seam along graphic lines in the image. This will be much less noticeable than a straight seam cutting through solid fill areas.

Dee Gallo
12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
If the board has any thickness, why not drill holes into the sides which will be glued together and use small dowels, or make a biscuit joint? This would not only align them but also give a strong bond when picking up the board. Even a lap joint would be better than a butt joint.

I like Doug's idea of cutting along a design line instead of a straight cut down the middle. Much more elegant.

cheers, dee

Doug Griffith
12-05-2010, 1:03 PM
I like Doug's idea of cutting along a design line instead of a straight cut down the middle. Much more elegant.

I did that techique for many years in the comicbook industry. Scanning art for comic book covers. The boards were tabloid and high res color scanners that size cost a ridiculous amount of money back then. Nobody ever saw the seams.

Martin Boekers
12-05-2010, 6:37 PM
Ahhhh it brings me back to the old photo days, long before photoshop (as I'm sure Doug remembers) Lithos, rubyliths, pin registers yikes I am old!

Another possibility is to cut from .25" stock and glue the pieces to the heaver board underneath. Is this folding or being made into a table?

Marty

Doug Griffith
12-05-2010, 6:56 PM
...and the wonderful smell of stat camera solution that once it got on you stayed for days.

Joe De Medeiros
12-05-2010, 7:35 PM
The boards were tabloid and high res color scanners that size cost a ridiculous amount of money back then. Nobody ever saw the seams.

We had a Vidar Truscan where I use to work, and it got lots of "government jobs" done on it.

Another possibility is to cut from .25" stock and glue the pieces to the heaver board underneath. Is this folding or being made into a table?

Marty

Nothing is set in stone yet, I was trying to figure what I can make them, and was thinking some type of large game board, like snakes and ladders, but personalized, with custom graphics.