PDA

View Full Version : Where to get self stick laminate?

Brian Elfert
12-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Any suggestions where to find self stick laminate (Formica)? My Google searches just find laminate flooring. Last time I bought some was 1999 at Home Depot. Home Depot quit carrying this a long time ago and I don't think they carry any laminate now.

I'm just not interested in dealing with contact cement and all that for this project if I can help it.

Matt Meiser
12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Fastcap makes what is basically double-stick tape that they say works for this purpose.

Jim Andrew
12-05-2010, 1:29 PM
I built a new kitchen top recently, and found the new contact cement was pretty easy to use. It has no nasty fumes like the old stuff. The only other time I used a similar product was years ago, and the stuff didn't hold well, but this new stuff really does hold great. And it only took less than a quart to do a whole kitchen. Only downside, was it took a long time to get ready to stick the laminate on. About 2 hours.

Chip Lindley
12-05-2010, 4:19 PM
+1 on Contact Cement!

I have to wonder if self-adhesive laminate is no longer available because of poor user results. Edge joints are especially problematic with laminate.

I certainly do hope the water-based contact cements have come a long way. I had miserable results with some years ago and had to heat my laminate with a clothes iron to get it to stick during cool conditions! For that reason, I use only solvent-based Weldwood (or equivalent) for laminates. IT WORKS! With two coats applied to each surface, there will be no disappointments in your laminate job later!

Of course, when working on-site in somebody elses kitchen, the low VOC stuff would make for better customer relations, as long as the bond is as good!

Steve Clardy
12-05-2010, 8:11 PM
Water base has come a long way.
I use 3M Fastbond. $60.00 a gallon.
Be sure and coat both surfaces 2 times.
I spray mine on with a cheap $15.00 gravity feed gun. Better, more even coverage.
Been using it for several years now.