PDA

View Full Version : pepper mill question

Dahl Troy Perry
12-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I've made several pepper mills sanded to400 buffed with the red and white collins they look and feel great would you wax them and leave them? Or would spray with lacor?

allen thunem
12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
dont use laquer on anything that can come on contact with water it wont hold up,
laquer looks pretty, but unless you use a catalized laquer it wont hold up well in wet conditions and even then..................
just leave em or use polyurethane
and wax isnt much better

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Dahl I finish mine with Antique Oil inside and out. I will buff the outside then apply Ren wax. They come out looking pretty good. I have a set on my table for pepper and sea salt. Have been using them now for about 3 yrs and they still look good.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I have Tung oil and Danish oil are these the about the same ? or would you stay with the antique oil and where would I find rem wax ?

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 1:51 PM
WoP is usually best for the outside due to the conditions wood can face in a kitchen. The inside should be free of finish...even though every finish becomes food safe after curing, the open grain of the cylinder helps compensate for moisture variances in the kitchen and it won't impart any oder to the peppercorns. I do 5-8 mills a year for corporate auctions and they are always requested with finish free tubes.

Steve Kubien
12-07-2010, 12:32 AM
I use the rattle can lacquer made by (I think) Rustoleum and have never had a problem with water spots or the like. Not in my kitchen, my mothers or my sensei's (and he cooks 4-5 meals per day and his salt and pepper mills could only see more use if they were in a commercial kitchen). Never had one come back at me since I made my first 3 or 4 years ago.

Charlie Goodrich
12-07-2010, 10:50 PM
How about Salad Bowl Finish - anyone use that on peppermills?

David Hullum
12-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I put 8 coats of lacquer on mine and it works great. Waterprooof and all. I finished the inside with mineral oil. Although I would never keep my peppermill near water anyway. This is how it turned out.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=154175