PDA

View Full Version : A new piece

Cathy Schaewe
12-05-2010, 9:52 AM
I finally got my photo setup going, so I'm going to post a few pieces. This one is cherry, about 6 3/4" wide and 3 1/4" tall, with the opening at 5". The form is entirely (except for the feet) inspired by one of Bill Neddow's "Ceremonial" series, which I couldn't get out of my head after I saw it. The fascinating part to me is how much difference a few fractions of an inch make between the classic form (his, of course) and mine. Oh well, that's why we practice.

The feet were inspired by the "Neat Feet" challenge over at WoW. That was my first attempt at carving anything at all, so they came out a bit smaller than I intended.:o
Finish is several coats of DO. I haven't buffed it yet.

Michael James
12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
WOW, that has a lot going for it, and the right photo set up does reveal that! Carved feet? Textured rim? And the finish looks flawless. I have not or don't remember seeing the piece that inspired this one, so I can't see where it's off at all. Great piece, thanks for posting!
Michael

David Reed
12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Must agree with Michael - very stunning piece and the finish is perfect. I have not yet tried any carving as I am afraid I will just mess things up.

Curt Fuller
12-05-2010, 10:18 AM
That's really a nice bowl. I like the rim treatment and I think the feet are perfect. Pretty wood too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Cathy that is a beautiful piece. I do like the rim and the texture. The carved feet are great. I don't think they are to small. Really well done.

Bill Bolen
12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Beautiful piece Cathy. Carved feet can add a lot to a piece as it has surely done here...Bill...

Scott Lux
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
+1 on beautiful piece. The feet are perfect.

Larry Marley
12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I think you did a great job blending in the feet.
Nice work!

Marc Himes
12-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice piece Cathy. I like the feet and texture as well as the form. Nice photo too.

Marc Himes

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Cathy,

Nice work. Bowl has a nice shape, like the collar/rim, the feet are neat and a subtle embellishment. Really works for me.

Kelvin Burton
12-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Cathy, that is beautiful! Great job of following through the line of the underside before you carved out the feet. Haven't tried it myself yet but appreciate the skill required to get it right!

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Cathy - very nice work! I think Bill would be happy with this! Great job on the feet! Don't think it would work as well if they were any bigger.

Jeff Nicol
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Cathy, It is a very nice piece and it just goes to prove that we are our own worst critics! The pictures on this one don't hide anything that I can see and you have really upped your game and will continue to reach higher and higher goals.

Nicely done,

Jeff

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 1:00 PM
Cathy, apparently you have been deep in study over the past few weeks! Haven't seen much off your lathe, but this has been worth the wait! Really a well done piece - good lines, super job on the execution of the cuts, and the feet are perfect! Love the rim treatment.

Please excuse the sexist comment, but "Girl, you have arrived!!" (I can say things like that to Judges when the power of contempt is lacking!:D:D)

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 1:36 PM
Cathy,

Really pretty work here! The feet are great!

John, no contempt here for the Judge..........only compliments and congratulations to her for the achievement. We all admire nice work, and appreciate what it takes to do it............

Your Honor, thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.........our compliments and congratulations! ;):)

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 1:58 PM
Ohhhhh Kathy! This is a nice piece! I know the bowl your talking about and you have represented well! I really like the finish, I can see the wood! ;)

Ken Glass
12-05-2010, 2:20 PM
Cathy,
That is a wonderful piece. I really like the feet. You have come a long way in a short time. Your tool work is very good and your finish is also very nice. Very well Done. Your also way ahead of me on your picture taking. The pictures are excellent.

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 2:25 PM
I like it! I don't know that I would change a thing... Great form, finish, and details.

Baxter Smith
12-05-2010, 2:26 PM
Very classy looking piece. Well done!

Cathy Schaewe
12-05-2010, 7:09 PM
Thank you, all of you. I did not expect this response!:o

I appreciate the comment about the feet; I would have made them bigger, so I guess my overenthusiasm with the carver-thingie was a design opportunity!;)

Must agree with Michael - very stunning piece and the finish is perfect. I have not yet tried any carving as I am afraid I will just mess things up.

David - what the heck, it's just wood! I keep telling myself that I should practice on a scrap before trying something ... but where's the fun in that?!?:eek:

Cathy, that is beautiful! Great job of following through the line of the underside before you carved out the feet. Haven't tried it myself yet but appreciate the skill required to get it right!

Kelvin - I did what I'm sure many do - I hacked out a section between where I knew the feet would be, so that I could see to continue the line of the turning. Made it - if not relatively easy - then at least better than guessing!

Cathy, It is a very nice piece and it just goes to prove that we are our own worst critics! The pictures on this one don't hide anything that I can see and you have really upped your game and will continue to reach higher and higher goals.

Nicely done,

Jeff

Jeff - thank you! You may not realize, but you contributed to this piece .... you sent me the wood!!!! Thanks!

Please excuse the sexist comment, but "Girl, you have arrived!!" (I can say things like that to Judges when the power of contempt is lacking!:D:D)

John, if that's a Kentucky lawyer's idea of contempt, I can tell I'm on the bench in the wrong state! I'm sure I could wangle some funds for you to teach classes to lawyers here about how to be in contempt!!!!!:D;) (Of course, if you ever need to be admitted here pro hac vice, watch out!!!!:eek:)

I think Bill would be happy with this!

Steve - I don't think you could have given me a bigger compliment!!!

Again, thank you all for your positive reinforcement, as well as everything I learn here on a daily basis. You guys are the best!!!!!

Kathy Marshall
12-05-2010, 9:56 PM
Beautiful piece Cathy! I think the form looks great, love the rim treatment, love the feet, love the wood, love the finish! What's not to love? Don't see a thing I would change.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Just beautiful, Cathy. I love the feet. Adding carving to a bowl really transforms it. Can't wait to see more...maybe in maple? ;)

steven carter
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Cathy,

I really like this closed form bowl! The band on the lip is superb, I really like the form and finish, and as for the feet, they may be small (but now too small IMO), but the feat you have accomplished in the work is very big.

Steve

Don Alexander
12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
hmmmm Cathy, I don't think i did quite as well with the piece of cherry you gave me (pictures coming soon)

really nice looking piece and the feet are just right

David DeCristoforo
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
That's a really nice bowl. Really like the feet and the rim. Oh and the overall shape too. Plus it's a pretty piece of wood. That about covers it!

Doug W Swanson
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow. The form is great, the carving is subtle and the finish is perfect.

Some day I will be able to make a piece this nice. Some day......