PDA

View Full Version : BLM platter

David Reed
12-05-2010, 9:38 AM
This is the cut off piece from my "waterfall" bowl previously posted. It has warped a fair bit even though it was bone dry prior to turning a little over 1/2" at the rim but I guess that could be called 'character'. I am not thrilled with the finish and may take it off and do it again. It has about eight coats WOP. This is my also first attempt at a turquoise inlay. It could stand some improvements there as well. As my first platter, it is 15 1/2" diameter, 5/16" thick at the rim and 3/16" through the remainder of the disk.
For both of these pieces I chucked up the blank outboard the ways with the tool rest sandwiched between the headstock and workpiece on my Jet 1642. I then turned it round from the headstock side. Using this procedure, I was able to approach the 16" max working diameter of the lathe without the use of an outboard tool rest.
I need to work on my photography as well.

Cathy Schaewe
12-05-2010, 9:57 AM
It's a beautiful piece, and certainly not the piece of wood I would have chosen to turn my first platter!:eek: Looks tricky!

The only change I would have made is to fill that one other large hole located between 10 and 11:00. Still, it looks great! Very arteeestik!

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
That is a beauty David. I really like the wood.

Curt Fuller
12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow that's pretty. It's hard to see what you don't like about the finish from just a photo, but the colors in the wood and the contrast with the turquoise are spectacular. Now you need to build a nice wall hanger to display it.

Michael James
12-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Looks like an ancient found relic! Im not sure how some turquoise inlay and 1 not strikes my taste, but that's a cosmetic touch up - or not.
No can tell whats wrong with the finish, and as I have yet to make a platter, it looks round and platter-y to me:cool:
I suppose one has to note their own shortcomings in "what is" vs "what was meant to be". That's feedback, not failure Keep em coming!
Michael

dan carter
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Some pieces have character, yours are beasts. Very nice job.

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Looks good to me. The burl is very nice. Good effort for sure on a first platter.

Marc Himes
12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Very nice. I like the concentric circles and the Inlace. Great piece of wood.

Marc Himes

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Wow! Talk about a display piece! Beautiful colors, form and character! You should be very happy with this!

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 1:05 PM
David, this piece looks like something one would find as a wall hanging in a very posh setting - really stunning! I love the subtle detailing, and while I am not a fan of turquoise, it seems to do very well here. As others have commented, it is difficult to see any problems with the finish, as everything really seems to come together with this one.

Excellent first (or hundredth!) platter!

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 2:01 PM
It's a Roman Frisbee!!! That's a great piece David...I'm surprised it didn't turn into shrapnel on you. The finish and inlay really set it off. Bravo!!

Baxter Smith
12-05-2010, 2:31 PM
This one is quite eyecatching for sure! Very pretty!

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 2:31 PM
That a great way to display a wonderful piece of wood. I like the design, and the size is wonderful. I'm not sold on the turquoise, but that's a hard thing to evaluate in a photo. The finish looks good to me. Nicely done.

David Reed
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
The only change I would have made is to fill that one other large hole located between 10 and 11:00. Still, it looks great! Very arteeestik!
I wanted the inlay to be a little understated plus this void of which you speak is much larger on the reverse side with tapered and smooth edges. I may fall out

Wow that's pretty. It's hard to see what you don't like about the finish from just a photo,
Bless the bad photography as it doesn't show the marginal finish. I plan to remove most of it and re-apply. I had a rough time with oil continuing to leak from the porous wood for hours after application leading to variation in shine. It is sanded to 400 and still not satisfactory.

Some pieces have character, yours are beasts. Very nice job.
Not sure if this is a compliment or not.

while I am not a fan of turquoise, it seems to do very well here.
I am not a big fan of the turquoise also but this is a gift and I agree it works OK here. May try again sometime.

It's a Roman Frisbee!!! That's a great piece David...I'm surprised it didn't turn into shrapnel on you. The finish and inlay really set it off. Bravo!!
I am really surprised just how tough this maple is. I do exercise care with slow turning speeds and light cuts with sharp tools, but I do keep out of the line of fire.

That a great way to display a wonderful piece of wood. I like the design, and the size is wonderful. I'm not sold on the turquoise, but that's a hard thing to evaluate in a photo. The finish looks good to me. Nicely done.
Again, it is a gift for a turquoise aficionado.

Thanks for your comments

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Incredible...one day...one day:D

brian watts
12-07-2010, 1:05 AM
very nice. love to have a piece of that wood..

alex carey
12-07-2010, 1:40 AM
wood cannot have more figure than that.