PDA

View Full Version : Jet DC-1200 lower bag question

Rob Blaustein
01-01-2005, 7:39 PM
I need some help from you Jet DC mavens--in particular, owners of a 1200 or 1200CK (this may also apply to the 1100, I just don't know if the relevant dimensions are the same). I just got a DC-1200 and "upgraded" it by getting a cartridge filter from Wynn, as I imagine some of you have done. The Wynn cartridge comes with some clear poly bags to replace that Jet lower cloth bag, but there's no way they fit OVER the mouth. Do you use bags that fit over, or are you supposed to put them on the inside? I would have thought you'd put fit them over that mouth, but then I noticed a photo on the Amazon site of the clear replacement bags that Jet sells for the 1200CK model (709563/CB-5)and it shows someone putting them on from the INSIDE using some sort of retaining ring (which looks analogous to the one sewn into the cloth bag that came with the 1200). I guess I could remove that ring from my cloth bag, but was curious to know how others have dealt with this issue. Those of you who own a 1200CK--did your unit come with a retaining ring? And where do you get your clear bags from? Thanks for your help!
-Rob

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 7:43 PM
Rob,
My 1100ck dust collector uses a canister and bags. The bags are held in place with a ring. The bag is folded over the ring and the whole configuration goes "into" the unit. All most a two man job the first time I installed the bag, but my wife and I got it to go in.

Greg Scott
01-03-2005, 9:37 AM
Rob,
I just went through the same thing when I put the Wynn cartridge on my DC-1200. You are correct the bags that Wynn sends with the filter will not fit the Jet. I ordered bags from Penn State and they fit a little snug on the outside with a thin weather strip installed. I use the band clamp that used to be on my top bag to hold the bottom bags on. You could use the ring from your stock lower bag to install them as well I suppose. Also how did you deal with the clamps being too long? I installed blocks of wood so they would work on mine.
Greg

Rob Blaustein
01-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks Greg. Too bad I forked up an extra $10 for extra bags from Wynn. I guess I can either try to mount them on the inside using that retaining ring from the cloth bag, or call Jet and see if I can get the ring that comes with the 1200 cannister unit (it looked beefier in the photo). Or I can do what you do and get bigger bags and mount them on the outside. When I put that band clamp on right over the bare metal of the DC, I notice that there was a gap where the clasp was--is that gap "filled in" by the weather stripping (I assume you put the weather stripping around the perimeter of the DC, then the bag, then the clamp)?

Yes, I did have to use shims to get the toggle clamps to tighten since they are too long. I did just what you did--wooden blocks. I ended up drilling a hole in each to accommodate the hook of the clamp, and angled that hole because the clamp pulls centrally as well as down, and without that angle in the hole, the block was tilting. I guess I could have also mitered the bottom. My final modification was to replace the plug with a NEMA style twist plug since that's the style of 220V receptacle I have, but that's off the topic.
-Rob

Greg Scott
01-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Rob,
Yep the weather stripping around the perimeter then the clamp. Mine seems to seal very well I've noticed no leaks. The only thing that seems to plug the filter is when I run my Delta 18-36 drum sander, after about a half an hour of sanding the suction is really terrible. When it gets to that point I take the air hose at about 60 psi and blow it out and change the bag. And at $2.00 a bag they get recycled I have yet to throw any away.
Greg