PDA

View Full Version : Fluted Spalted Alder

Bert Solis
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Spalted alder with some fluting, very easy to carve.
Hollowing will be the next step.
The turing is off center on purpose so it can have a sweep, it is a little funny to turn but at slow speed is ok
This between centers vbut only the foot is turned on the lathe the form was already closed to this and was shaved with a draw knife

David E Keller
12-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a good looking turning/carving. I hope you'll consider taking some photos of the hollowing process and posting a shot of the finished piece.

Michael James
12-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Very interesting piece and some great wood. Please keep us updated - I want to see that badboy at the finish line! Thanks for posting.
mj

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Looks like that will be a spectacular piece. Keep us posted.

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 6:17 AM
I bet the alder is very nice to turn and carve - good texture in the wood for that. Excellent spalting on this piece, too!

This is a very unique piece and I do hope you will give us follow up pics of the process.

Did you have in on the lathe when you formed it with the drawknife? Seems like that would work with an indexing spindle lock.

Jeff Nicol
12-05-2010, 6:31 AM
Bert, You are a man after my own heart, I love the carving and it is one of my favorite things to do, but I just don't do enough of it! I have a lot of money tied up in carving tools and have good intentions to use them and you give me incentive to do so! This piece will have great style and presence when finished. We have some Alder trees growing here in town but they are most all planted on the boulevards and are not to big yet to be taken down in a storm or by the city for roadway updates. May have to see about getting some to add to my ever growing collections of wood turning blanks!

Great project and can't wait to see it completed,

Jeff

Cathy Schaewe
12-05-2010, 8:29 AM
Wow, that's going to be really neat! That spalted alder is pretty stuff! :)

Curt Fuller
12-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Can't wait to see this when it's finished.

dan carter
12-05-2010, 11:20 AM
So far so good, looking forward to seeing your next pictures.

Marc Himes
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
This is a very exciting piece. I cant wait to see it finished.

Marc Himes

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Interesting piece! Never tried carving, so am interested in seeing your results!

David Reed
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
As previously stated, I am afraid of carving and respect those who can do it well. You did very well. The uniformity of the fluting on this irregular form demonstrates your skills here. Spalted alder is one of my favorite woods but have not turned any as yet. Will be very interested in seeing the final product.

Roger Chandler
12-05-2010, 1:46 PM
looks almost like it could be a "horn of plenty" Beautiful work so far, and looking forward to its completion.

Baxter Smith
12-05-2010, 2:43 PM
Very impressive so far. Looks like a lot of work!

Bert Solis
12-05-2010, 8:57 PM
Spalted Alder
Thank you for your kind comments.
I have turned the piece arround so it can be hollowed.
In response to John Keaton question, the piece was held between centers. I used a draw knife to get the shape. I wanted a sweep on the piece so I cut on one side more than the other areas.
I have posted pictures that show the beginning of the hollowing.
The red laser light,on the side of the piece, is only for gauging the thickness of the vessel. I think I need about an inch so the flutes in the inside mirror the outside.

Any advise is appreciated.