PDA

View Full Version : My meeting with Bill Grumbine

Doug W Swanson
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey all,

My local club (Minnesota Woodturner's Association) has various big name woodturners come in a few times the year and give demonstrations. They also have a two 'Hands On' sessions hosted by each turner that is limited to 8 people. When I heard that Bill Grumbine was coming to Minnesota, I jumped at the chance to learn a few things from him. I was lucky enough to get one of the spots to spend 8 hours with one of the best.

Bill was a super nice guy. He was cracking jokes and keeping things light hearted all while spending a little time with each person. Because I've only turned a few bowls previous to this, I was more interested in learning the proper techniques than anything.

Since I thought it was better to keep working on technique, I didn't spend any time sanding or finishing my bowls there. I would just get the basic form done and then start on the next one. Also the blanks I had were pretty dry and I kept getting some tearout. When I asked Bill about this he told me to just toss them into the scrap pile and consider it a learning experience.

Being the frugal person that I am, I decided to finish off the bowls once I got home.

After a few hours of sanding and finishing here are the results:

Photo 1: Bill and myself (obviously I'm on the left!)

Photo 2: Small elm bowl full of worm holes (about 4.5" x 2").

Photos 3-4: Black cherry bowl (about 8" x 2.5")

Photo 5: Walnut bowl (about 9" x 2.5")

Jim Burr
12-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I am to jealous to reply...except to say "cool"!!!:cool::cool:

Michael James
12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
What a great opportunity, glad you were able to sign on. Nice work too!

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks like you had some fun. I met Bill at the Richmond Symposium and had the pleasure of having lunch with him. Just a all around good guy.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Congrats! He's a person from whom I'd like to take lessons!

Greg Just
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like that was a great experience. I had wanted to attend, but had made a commitment to the Scout Troop that weekend. Maybe next time.

Rich Aldrich
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
What an experience that must have been. However, it appears you and I have a similar problem - a small turning muscle. I have a copy of Bill's Turned Bowls Made Easy. He is entertaining and a great teacher.

Someday I need to take one of his classes.

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 6:09 AM
Doug, you were very fortunate to have the opportunity, and it certainly looks like it paid off! Nice work on all three, but I particularly like your walnut bowl.

Jeff Nicol
12-05-2010, 6:37 AM
Doug, I may have to join your club as I am not real happy with what we have here and since our grandson lives in Inver Grove heights it would be a great douple purpose reason to make the drive, as I could stay at the kids house after the meetings instead of coming home!

It sounds like a great time was had by all and having some hands on time with a world re-known turner like Bill is worth it!

Some day I will get to meet some of the Great Mentors of turning,

Jeff

charlie knighton
12-05-2010, 8:11 AM
very nice and congratulations

i am looking forward to seeing Bill Grumbine in late january in nashville, along with a couple other turners

Doug W Swanson
12-05-2010, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Bill was such a nice guy. Very down to earth and he'd keep things at your level. He even let me use his famous 5/8" bowl gouge to finish out the last 2 bowls. After using his gouge, that's when I decided I needed a quality bowl gouge and ordered one from Doug Thompson. It sure was a great time...

John,
I like the walnut one, too. There's a few spots that didn't turn out so well but to the average person they are hard to see (my wife can't find them). The cherry bowl is going to my MIL for Xmas.

Jeff,
You should join the MWA. It's a great group of people that have many different turning interests. Heck, you could even stop by my house and teach me a few things!:D

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice bowls Doug. I have a couple of Bill's dvd's. I like his down to earth style, he seems like a hoot.

Marc Himes
12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
What a great opportunity and you took advantage of it. Good for you! I have had a couple of classes and learned much quicker than if I would have just done it on my own. I highly recommend learning from some of these great wood turners that are around today. Good job on the bowls, especially the wormy elm and the walnut.

Marc Himes

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey - that's pretty cool that you got to take lessons from Bill! Have only seen him on videos but sure seems knowledgeable and a lot of fun!

Nice work on the bowls!

I didn't realize where you lived. Our oldest son and family live in North St. Paul and we try to get out and visit when we can. Will have to give you a bump next time we plan on traveling (probably late spring) so I can stop in for a shop tour!

Doug W Swanson
12-05-2010, 7:39 PM
I didn't realize where you lived. Our oldest son and family live in North St. Paul and we try to get out and visit when we can. Will have to give you a bump next time we plan on traveling (probably late spring) so I can stop in for a shop tour!

We're not far at all from North St Paul (about 10 minutes). NSP has a 'Cruise In' for old cars on Friday's during the summer. I'll bring the kids over there in my 1969 Ford Fairlane and walk around for a few hours. It's a great time....

Let me know the next time you'll be in town. Even though my shop is pretty small compared to others, I'm always open for a Creeker visit.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2010, 7:49 PM
Doug - our son has taken us to the 'Cruise In' a couple of times now! For him it is cool to see the old cars - for me it is great to see what cars are supposed to be! Always have fun there and usually end up carrying one of the grandkids towards the end! Wears me out - but always a fun time!

Joe Mioux
12-05-2010, 8:16 PM
how tall are you?

joe

ps. nice bowls!

Mike Cruz
12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey, how did you turn those without a turning muscle? :D I'm sure he mentioned that you are at a disadvantage without one...:rolleyes: I've been watching one of his DVD's over and over. Seems like a great guy. If I ever get a chance, I might take one of his classes.

Grant Wilkinson
12-06-2010, 9:28 AM
Very nice pieces, Doug. I'm partial to the walnut one myself.

Having taken 2 two-days sessions with Bill, I can completely relate to the fun that you had while learning.

Tony De Masi
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Very nice work and you got to meet one of the great teachers around. His videos are great, but there is nothing like working with him one on one. He is also coming to my local club in the spring which I look forward to seeing him again.

Congrats.

Doug W Swanson
12-06-2010, 8:35 PM
how tall are you?

joe

ps. nice bowls!

I'm 6'5" tall. Thanks! I think they turned out pretty well, too!

Hey, how did you turn those without a turning muscle? :D I'm sure he mentioned that you are at a disadvantage without one...:rolleyes: I've been watching one of his DVD's over and over. Seems like a great guy. If I ever get a chance, I might take one of his classes.

Bill did mention that. I don't have the muscle that some do so that's why I need to learn technique!:) I watched a few of his dvd's last year and you are right. He does seem like a nice guy in his videos and he didn't disappoint in person. Some people just let fame go to their head but Bill certainly didn't. He was about as down to earth as they come.....