PDA

View Full Version : What rulers do y'all use?

willis stose
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Am trying to find some good rulers for more accurate working than the metal tape. Any suggestions? I do general woodworking and some furniture building. Some of the rulers should be lined with gold they are so expensive. Looking for moderate priced ones. Any input appreciated. thnx.

David Giles
12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
The last Starrett 36" ruler that I bought is off by 1/16" on each end. Their fabrication move to the Dominican Republic might have dropped the quality a little. One side is accurate, but not the other. Go figure.

My 36" cheapo Johnson ruler from Rockler is dead on, albeit a little beat up with age. And almost any 12" and smaller ruler seems to be accurate. I also like the Fastcap tapes for accuracy (at least I think they are Fastcap).

It is more important that your rulers be consistent than accurate. The gold standard in my shop is the Incra fence on the saw. Whatever it says is considered "right".

Dan Friedrichs
12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
My 6" metal ruler was $0.99 at Harbor Freight. Graduated in 1/64", I have never found it to be inaccurate. But as David said, you don't need "accurate", you just need "consistent". Consistency is easily achieved by only using one measuring device.

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I had a longer post but "lost it".

I love all the Incra rules and have one of about every variety they make.

I like the Woodpeckers 24" T square and 24" woodworking rule and use them both a lot.

I also have several of the 6" Lee Valley rules, they make them up to 24" and it is the best value in a mid-quality rule I have run into, the 6" are less than $3.

I would suggest getting a 6" Lee Valley rule, Incra 12" marking rule and the Woodpecker 24" rule, you would be covered for most situations and be in the $55 range. If you want to spend less then just pick up the Lee Valley ones in the sizes you need.

John Coloccia
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I use a lot of different measuring devices, but the one that never leaves my side is this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32566&cat=1,43513

I lost it and I felt awful. I immediately bought a similar one from my local woodworking shop but it wasn't the same. I ordered another one, and then immediately found the one I lost. LOL. I think I know where both of them are. PM me if you want one. I'll mail one to you as I don't need two and I hate to see a fine tool sit around collecting dust. :)

I have a small subset of rulers that all match with each other. I've checked them all. I have others that don't. If you're going to mix and match, you need to check them. I use that little one, though, for most of what I do.

glenn bradley
12-04-2010, 11:42 PM
I have this set (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32568&cat=1,43513,43519). Inexpensive, accurate and they all match . . . I guess I already said that when I said they were accurate ;-)

Victor Robinson
12-05-2010, 1:51 AM
The Incra rules are somewhat expensive but pretty awesome. I use the 12" T-rule all the time.

Scot Ferraro
12-05-2010, 1:55 AM
For layout work I do not think you can beat the Incra t-squares -- what a joy to accurately draw lines parallel to an edge...before I used to using a combination square and that often yielded inaccurate results. For under $20, I think that it is a great investment. Of course I still have 6 and 12 inch Starrett combo squares and some Mitutoyo Engineering squaresfor extreme accuracy or when checking other squares for square. A little six inch ruler from Lee Valley is great for setting fences on the BS and TS and checking router bit heights and TS blade heights -- having the end graduations is really nice.

Scot

Elijah Fontenot
12-05-2010, 2:21 AM
I use a cheap tape measure for most items longer than 12" and i bought 7-8 of them to keep in the shop. I read once from a woodworking magazine that it really doesn't matter what you use to measure with, its just that your measurements need to be consistant. Use the same measuring device for the whole project and you have consistancy.

Rick Fisher
12-05-2010, 3:54 AM
I use a Japanese ruler.. Not because its more accurate.. its just not all cluttered up.. Cant remember the name ..

I find it nice to use because I am getting old and my eyes arent what they once where .. lol.

Don Morris
12-05-2010, 4:12 AM
The Lee Valley 6" ruler goes in the upper 1" wide apron vest pocket nicely. For longer tape measure needs, I use a plain old Stanley 12' powerlock. I removed the belt clip so it's thin and fits in the lower left apron pocket. Notice how accurately I described where they are located, so I can grab for them without having to go look for them. My #9 automatic pencil line is wider than the lines on the measuring devices.

Mike De Luca
12-05-2010, 5:48 AM
Consistency is easily achieved by only using one measuring device.

This...

I use the 12' (small in the apron) Leverlok for working in the shop... 3/4" blade... I like the blade to stay extended automatically for layout.

http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/mid_res/30-810_mid_res.jpg

I was recently at Lowe's and found this little gem by Komelon (http://www.lowes.com/pd_171703-77923-SL2816_0__?productId=1042635&Ntt=tape+measure&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtape%2Bmeasure)... love the blade and the action is smooth as glass...

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/650056/650056028123lg.jpg

Kent A Bathurst
12-05-2010, 7:29 AM
I use these. I realize you were asking about "other than tape measure", but still........

$5. Compact + lightweight - drops into pants pocket easily - I remove and toss the belt clip as soon as I get them. I routinely check the hook accuracy against a Starret combo square rule - they hold up fine as long as I don't "snap" the hook against the case. If one goes out-of-calibration, I just pitch it.

At 5 bucks, I have [had?] a half-dozen, scatterred all over the shop. Easy to locate one in a glance with the Hi-Viz color. But - they still seem to disappear over time - need to get a few more and toss 'em out into the mix.

I have other tape > 10', but honestly, its rare that I need that. I also use the combo square, and a Starrett 4" dbl square.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Ys828JYYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Chris Fournier
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I would strongly recommend a 6" hook rule for starters. In the shop I have one of these in my pocket all the time.

Look at a machine tool supplier like KBC Tools for excellent measuring tools at reasonable prices.

I was just in Europe and I noticed that all the tradesmen had snappy looking "uniforms" that would make the laziest hack look professional and most of them had wooden folding rules in their pockets! Old school cool.

Matt Winterowd
12-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I use a lot of different measuring devices, but the one that never leaves my side is this one:

I use a Japanese ruler.. Not because its more accurate.. its just not all cluttered up.. Cant remember the name .. The Lee Valley 6" is Shinwa... A very dependable Japanese brand for measuring instruments. I love 'em.

The last Starrett 36" ruler that I bought is off by 1/16" on each end. Their fabrication move to the Dominican Republic might have dropped the quality a little. One side is accurate, but not the other. Go figure.I'm done paying a premium for Starrett. I have 3 Starrett squares: a 12" combination, 6" combination, and a 4" double square. Only the 4" was anywhere near square out of the box. Granted, they did repair them for free (less my shipping cost), but I probably shouldn't have to return new measuring tools. I have a 12" Mitutoyo combination square set, and all three heads are dead-on. And it was about half the price of the Starrett.

Joe Leigh
12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
6, 12, and 24" Woodpeckers rulers. Can't say enough good things about them

Mark Woodmark
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
The last Starrett 36" ruler that I bought is off by 1/16" on each end. Their fabrication move to the Dominican Republic might have dropped the quality a little. One side is accurate, but not the other. Go figure.

My 36" cheapo Johnson ruler from Rockler is dead on, albeit a little beat up with age. And almost any 12" and smaller ruler seems to be accurate. I also like the Fastcap tapes for accuracy (at least I think they are Fastcap).

It is more important that your rulers be consistent than accurate. The gold standard in my shop is the Incra fence on the saw. Whatever it says is considered "right".

I have almost all Starrett measuring tools. A protractor, two fixed squares (6 inch and 12 inch), a combination square, and three rules (6 inch, 12 inch, and 24 inch). Some older, some new. I have found all them to be dead on. I think the ends of the rules are slightly short to account for either a pencil or a scribe....I may be wrong about this. Anyway, I always burn an inch when measuring

Alan Schwabacher
12-05-2010, 2:30 PM
Walt Q has a bunch of older Starrett rules at good prices.

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/new%20tools.html#Starrett_&_Machinists_Toold (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/new%20tools.html#MISCELLANEOUS)

rick carpenter
12-05-2010, 3:08 PM
She who....

Matt Meiser
12-05-2010, 3:59 PM
I really like the Woodpecker/Pinnacle rules and now have them in 12, 24, and 26". The center feature has been really handy. I also really like the Fastcap tapes for their readability and fractional markings.

george wilson
12-05-2010, 4:40 PM
I had an AMERICAN MADE Starrett 6" dial caliper. The inside measurement proved to be out by .008". I ruined a small job finding that out. I returned it to Starrett and it arrived back ONLY .004" out. I somehow got hold of a Vice president. Told him I didn't understand how it got out of the factory again after special attention. He sent me a new one.

I try to buy ONLY OLD Starrett tools.

I use PEC rules. They are good,and accurate.

Gary Curtis
12-05-2010, 7:06 PM
For non-specific use the Lee Valley rules are easy to read. I have a 48" rule and level from the borg but have never checked it for accuracy. Tapes are always unpredictable. The three I have don't agree.

On machinery is use stick-down rules from Oregon Rule company. Though they are flexible, the base is very tough material. And again, easy to read.

I have a few of the Incra T-rules, but I find that I don't often reach for them.

george wilson
12-05-2010, 7:08 PM
I believe that Gov't. spec on 6' tape accuracy is 3/16".

Matt Kestenbaum
12-05-2010, 8:06 PM
I have several for different uses:

For many tasks I use my Lufkin 8 ft. folding rule with extension end. I also bought a set of the LV stainless rules and for marking/layout a Starrett 12" combination sq. 4R and a 4" double square. A general use stanley tape measure is also handy for buying at the sawmill.

Tom Hammond
12-05-2010, 8:59 PM
I've got about 40 Lufkin folding rules. I don't use anything else for accurate cuts. I'll use a tape for framing lumber.

http://wireman.com/Lufkin%20966.jpg

Don Morris
12-06-2010, 3:21 AM
After re-reading posts, I must admit, in addition to the two rulers I mentioned above, I also do use an old folding ruler. It was my father-in-laws, who was a cabinet maker. I don't use it often, but every now and then, the one way brass sliding ruler part to it is sometimes handy to do inside measurements. I just don't keep that one on me, but I know where it is in my tool chest.

lowell holmes
12-06-2010, 8:20 AM
I have the same set. I just wish the metric side was not on them. It interferes with the measurement when the side of a piece I'm working on falls on the metric side of the ruler.
I have old Stanley boxwood cabinet maker rulers I use a lot.

My favorite is half of 6" folding carpenters rule. It makes a folding yard stick, sits in my apron pocket easily, and always has a scale on the proper side for what I'm measuring. If you buy a new 6 footer and cut it into two halves, you get two folding yardsticks that are 37" long.

Story sticks work quite well also.

lowell holmes
12-06-2010, 8:23 AM
If you always use the same tape, does it make a difference?

If I want exact matching lengths, I use a story stick anyway.

John Towns
12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I noticed that this was your first post! Welcome the the Creek! As you have read, the quality of answers to questions posted here are unparallelled (or is it unparalleled?) In any case, we learn a great deal from one another, don't we?

John

John Coloccia
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I noticed that this was your first post! Welcome the the Creek! As you have read, the quality of answers to questions posted here are unparallelled (or is it unparalleled?) In any case, we learn a great deal from one another, don't we?

John

I can't seem to get anything to come out parallel somedays.

Cary Falk
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a lot of nice Woodpecker rulers and Incra stuff. My go to measuring device is a 25' Stanley tape measure. As long as you use one device throughout the project you will be fine.

Kevin Groenke
12-06-2010, 7:46 PM
+1 on the Shinwa rules from Lee Valley _ that's the one that lives in my apron pocket.

PEC rules and squares are a good/affordable alternative to Starrett and comparable machinist's tools - i think many store branded squares are made by PEC.

I recently got a bunch of iGaging brand double squares for student use - pretty good for the price.
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Combination-Squares/products/494/

Got about 20 rules from Shars - 6" to 24" - they're all very consistent, nice non-glare finish, finely engraved, incredible value.
http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/5180201/Precision_Steel_Rules

-kg

Neil Brooks
12-06-2010, 8:20 PM
I use my ProCarpenter FlatBack flat woodworking tape (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-4038/FastCap-ProCarpenter-FlatBack-Tape-Measure) and my Pinnacle 12" ruler (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020997/23490/Pinnacle-12-Woodworking-Rule.aspx) more than any other single tools.

Van Huskey
12-07-2010, 12:50 AM
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Combination-Squares/products/494/[/URL]

-kg

BTW you can get the iGaging 4" double square on eBay for $12.99 shipped most of the time, can't remember the sellers name.

Dave Cav
12-07-2010, 1:31 AM

I have an English 6" rule that's almost identical the Lee Valley rule only it's not stainless, and it's approaching 35 years old. I'd be lost without it. What I like best are the lack of metric graduations, just 1/8ths and 1/16ths on one side, 32nds and 64ths on the other side.

raul segura
12-08-2010, 2:17 AM
I haven't any thing to exotic, but here is the show and tell in my apron, I am a little envious of some of the tools mentioned here. I don't carry the Lufkin usually but I really like the dual fraction/decimal very nice. I can find a Stanly 12ft. any where and it fits nice in the hand and pocket. The small 10ft Stanly never gets lost as it is tethered (big deal for me) but also it has a dual side that measures circumference up to the 16ths very cool when needed. The adjustable square I got from craftsmen as they had it in S.S.steel unlike the other box stores.I use the compass for finding center and squaring something equally in a corner etc. with out measuring.
I like the feel of a roofing square if I cut it down, but that Japanese style one looks like it will take its place soon. 4-6 inch calipers are really nice to.
I carry one of thoughts (general) s.s.6in and another for measuring in holes that is 1/4 wide. I like the 6 inch 1/2 wide ones for attaching to jigs.

I think just as important as the measuring device is the marking tool I stopped using a pencil I use a fine point pen or a blade. You can make a nice blade from a cheep scraper not so bad when you drop it.

If your going to go cheep Id definitely bring along something very accurate with,to check against. Some of the other tools mentioned here look very nice.

raul segura
12-08-2010, 2:24 AM
Kevin Groenke, the two webs sites look very appealing.

Just thought Id through in this tape adjusting jig I copied once. Im sure a simpler design could be built but it works when shopping for a tape or after snapping or dropping one. I forgot to mentin, dont leave any metal rulers in front of youir table saw as you cut it will ruin it as yoiu can see from a picture attached above !!!

Jim Becker
12-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I use a set of metal rules I got from Lee Valley and have been very pleased with them. I have a 12", an 18", a 24" and a 3" rule. This combination covers my needs very nicely. I really need to add a 6" to it one of these days, however, for tight spaces.

george wilson
12-08-2010, 10:59 PM
If you want 1/4",1/8",1/32",1/64" grads, you want a 4r rule. 4R has the old standard fractional grads,which us hard headed,old fashioned Americans who do things the hard way want.