PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Mail client

Rob Mathis
12-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I am sure many of you have already went down the upgrade path that I am looking at. What did you decide to do about a new mail client?

Derek Gilmer
12-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Outlook 2010 for work and gmail web interface for personal.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Microsoft Outlook 2007

Neal Clayton
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
thunderbird here.

Bryan Morgan
12-05-2010, 1:48 AM
Gmail (or Google Apps) :) Having to deal with mail client issues at work (we let people use what they want), they ALL have problems. As great and reliable you think it is, its just a matter of time before it blows up. If you are lucky you can recover your old mail. If not, well, I hope you didn't actually need anything in there.... Outlook is the worst (get used to scanpst). Thunderbird is the second worst (kiss your email data files goodbye). Eudora isn't as bad but still dies from time to time. I have come to hate, and I mean HATE email clients. I hate the whole idea of "cloud computing" with one exception: EMAIL. :)

Gmail allows you to connect to whatever POP or IMAP servers you may already have. Plus you can link that easily to your cell phone and have your email all in one place.

Bill Davis
12-05-2010, 3:39 AM
I am sure many of you have already went down the upgrade path that I am looking at. What did you decide to do about a new mail client?

Windows Live here.

Jerome Stanek
12-05-2010, 7:10 AM
Thunderbird

Chuck Wintle
12-05-2010, 8:12 AM
Another Thunderbird user here. Seems to work well enough for my needs. Never had a problem with it going on 3 years now. :D:D

Brian Elfert
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure why Bryan has so much trouble with Outlook in a business setting. We use Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2007 at my employer with zero data loss except due to user error. We don't allow PSTs via policy if that is causing the issues.

Jim Becker
12-08-2010, 9:54 PM
I use Thunderbird and have for a long time on my personal machine. I never used the Microsoft "Outlook Express" in previous versions of Windows. Prior to T-bird, I used a licensed copy of Outlook.

paul cottingham
12-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Thunderbird and gmail. no spam, no virii.

Kevin W Johnson
12-10-2010, 2:24 AM
Windows Live mail works just fine for me..... its a seperate download. Which OS are you upgrading from? XP or Vista?

Steve Bistritz
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Thunderbird and gmail. no spam, no virii.

Same here...

Rob Wachala Jr
12-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Used to use outlook express when I ran xp boxes. Now that I upgraded to win 7 been using windows live 2011.

Kevin W Johnson
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
The mail client las little to do with whether or not you get spam or virii emailed to you. It mainly has to do with your email provider, as well as how well you guard your email address, and how many computer illiterate friends you have with infected computers. An email client is just that, it simply downloads the email from the server. If your careful with your email, and your email provider has good spam and virii filters, then theres no virii, and spam.

I used Outlook Expess with XP, and Windows Live Mail with Windows 7, i never get spam or virii.

paul cottingham
12-12-2010, 1:27 PM
But outlook and outlook express have huge problems that make them vulnerable to releasing virii. thunderbird does not have this vulnerability. that being said, short of moving to linux, your best protection from email viruses is good antivirus or filtering your mail through gmail.

Chuck Wintle
12-12-2010, 1:44 PM
I would avoid windows live mail like the plague.

glenn bradley
12-12-2010, 1:52 PM
Outlook mandated at work . . . I miss Thunderbird. Yahoo and Gmail for personal at home.

Kevin W Johnson
12-12-2010, 3:02 PM
But outlook and outlook express have huge problems that make them vulnerable to releasing virii. thunderbird does not have this vulnerability. that being said, short of moving to linux, your best protection from email viruses is good antivirus or filtering your mail through gmail.

You cant release what you dont get in the first place. One of the other replies, implied that using Thunderbird prevented getting spam and virii. Its your email practices, coupled with your email providers filtering that prevents this. While antivirus is important, its still second to NOT getting viruses in the first place, which can be avoided easily. I cant remember the last time a had virus in an email, or received any spam.

paul cottingham
12-12-2010, 3:41 PM
Both msoft products have huge vulnerabilities re: attachments and viruses. thunderbird does not. thunderbird has built in spam filtering which you have to train. the filtering is excellent. MANY providers do not provide good virus and/or spam protection. you still need to be proactive.

When I had my consulting business, I can't tell you how many machine I saw, lousy with virii, whose owners insisted they didn't need AV software 'cause they have "never had a virus."

Kevin W Johnson
12-12-2010, 8:23 PM
Both msoft products have huge vulnerabilities re: attachments and viruses. thunderbird does not. thunderbird has built in spam filtering which you have to train. the filtering is excellent. MANY providers do not provide good virus and/or spam protection. you still need to be proactive.

When I had my consulting business, I can't tell you how many machine I saw, lousy with virii, whose owners insisted they didn't need AV software 'cause they have "never had a virus."

No where in my post did i say that that Outlook and Outlook Express dont have vulnerabilities. Nor did i say one doesn't need antivirus. I'll type it again. The #1 defense is not getting viruses emailed to you to start with, along with protecting your email address from sources of spam. Antivirus should be used as a second defense, but i cant tell you how many computers i have repaired that have up to date Antivirus, yet are still infected. As antivirus is dependent on virus definitions, its still too easy for one to get infected before the software is updated with definitions to detect it.

Again, my point was to refute the implication the other poster made that Thunderbird prevented viruses and spam. It may filter spam, however that isnt prevention.

paul cottingham
12-12-2010, 8:49 PM
Oops, sorry dude, I didn't mean to get under your skin so much. If I have offended you somehow, I'm sorry.

David Cefai
12-13-2010, 4:25 PM
Sad really. Nobody mentioned Kmail running on Linux.

Six years now and never a glitch :-)

Incidentally nobody mentioned backups. Ladies and Gentlemen, if you don't backup, please do. For Windows "Backup made Simple" is incredibly good.

paul cottingham
12-13-2010, 9:05 PM
mmmm kmail and linux
I use linux and thunderbird

Jerome Stanek
12-14-2010, 6:47 AM
I use a little free app that checks my mail and I can delete it before it ever gets to my client. It is called E prompter It used to work with web base mail but not at this time.

Curt Harms
12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
mmmm kmail and linux

+ a bunch :D

Bryan Morgan
12-14-2010, 4:42 PM
mmmm kmail and linux

meh... I just type "mail" at the command prompt.... :) Does everything you need to. Kids today with all their pointing and clicking and oooohh blinky blinky do dads...

paul cottingham
12-14-2010, 4:55 PM
Well played, my friend, well played. :-)

Curt Harms
12-15-2010, 7:59 AM

so there (and yes, I'm the administrator :p :D).

This is a desktop Ubuntu install. Thunderbird and web mail do nicely.

paul cottingham
12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
you see, if you were a real man, you will install it.....:-)

Curt Harms
12-15-2010, 2:04 PM
but then how would I see pictures of 'ladies' that want to chat or pharmacists that want to sell me prescription drugs for 70% off?

:D :D

Bryan Morgan
12-15-2010, 3:52 PM

so there (and yes, I'm the administrator :p :D).

This is a desktop Ubuntu install. Thunderbird and web mail do nicely.

Its just a basic mail app. Default with CentOS.

Looks like this:

[root@ftp ~]# mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93. Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/root": 564 messages 564 new
>N 1 root@*** Tue Aug 24 18:00 312/24892 "Cron <root@ftp> /home"
N 2 root@*** Wed Aug 25 04:02 1296/143913 "LogWatch for ftp.***"
N 3 root@*** Wed Aug 25 04:02 33/1378 "Cron <root@ftp> run-p"
N 4 root@*** Wed Aug 25 06:00 303/23951 "Cron <root@ftp> /home"
&

No pointing, clicking, dragging, attachments automatically running and triggering some java or VB or whatever. You just read your frikin email. :) HTML messages look bad but you should know how to read HTML on the fly! :)

Bryan Morgan
12-15-2010, 3:53 PM
but then how would I see pictures of 'ladies' that want to chat or pharmacists that want to sell me prescription drugs for 70% off?

:D :D

You decode the base64 or mime encoding in your MIND! :) Oh man, I got one now... she's sooo hot. Oh yeah! :)