PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays (and a few birdhouse ornaments)

Doug W Swanson
12-04-2010, 9:54 PM
Hey all,

I've been on this forum for about a year and while I've enjoyed seeing everyone else's work, I haven't posted any of my own.

Here is my lathe with 2 birdhouses I just finished (on the left) and 2 from last year (on the right).

The far left has a walnut body, ash top and ebony post (finish is spray on lacquer)

The 2nd from left has a walnut body, old growth maple top and ebony post (finish is spray on lacquer)

The 2nd from right has a cherry body, padauk top and maple post (finish is Behlen's)

The far right has a cherry body, bloodwood top and indian rosewood post (finish is Behlen's).

I'm not very happy with the lacquer finish but I thought I would try something new.

Enjoy!

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Doug, those are some very nice birdhouses! I like the various wood combos, too. You have been holding out on us.

I have found that walnut doesn't seem to take spray lacquer very well because of the open grain. Sometimes wet sanding with BLO, then shellac base coat rubbed out, then lacquer works.

David E Keller
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice looking group... I like the variety in the roof shapes. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had any luck with any type of spray finish.:o

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Great looking little birdhouses. I have found that if I first apply shellac first before spraying with lacquer or poly it works pretty well for me.

Greg Just
12-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Nice ornaments Doug. Are you entering any into the Ornament Contest next Tuesday? Hope to see you there.

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Nice work. Those look good. Glad you posted them. LOML wants a couple of ornaments before Christmas. I better get going. Lot's of inspiration as of late.

Doug W Swanson
12-05-2010, 9:21 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for the comments. I wish I had more time to turn because I really enjoy it but life steps in the way (as you all know)!

I made about 20 of these last year and used Behlen's on them. I was pretty happy with the results. Since I was out of Behlen's, I tried lacquer and wasn't happy. It's too late to change anything now!

John and Bernie, before I try lacquer again I will try your methods and see what happens....

Nice ornaments Doug. Are you entering any into the Ornament Contest next Tuesday? Hope to see you there.

Greg,
I will be there. After seeing the quality of them last year I won't be entering any of my ornaments. I am going to donate one to the 'Guest drawing' though.