PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck

Bob Haverstock
12-04-2010, 6:57 PM
Hi,
A few weks ago I received the Woodcraft Black Friday Flyer. In it was a Nova Midi chuck with (6) sets of jaws for $124.98 delivered. So early Black Friday morning I ordered a new Nova Midi and Jaws.

It arrived today. It sure is cute. I haven't spun it yet, but I expect it to be near perfect, my other Nova Midi is. I intend to use it on Nova 16-24 tailstock with a #2 to 1X8 threaded ball bearing adapter. I'm happy.

Bob Haverstock

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 7:02 PM
Bob, congrats! Hard to beat the Nova chucks. I have a midi dedicated to my soft jaws. I have three G3 chucks with other jaws on them.

Marc Himes
12-04-2010, 7:04 PM
Congratulations on the great deal Bob!

Harry Robinette
12-04-2010, 10:58 PM
hey nice chuck, I work for woodcraft and I got one so I could get the xtra
jaws I use all Nova chucks,1 Titan,2 super novas,1supernova2,2orig.nova(the
black ones that started all the 4jaw chucks for wood) I really like Nova's but you probably can't tell.

Michael James
12-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Congrats! I had just bought a G3 locally and within a couple of weeks they offered it with 3 sets of jaws. I pondered the situation and took it back and they swapped me, minus the 1x8 insert price. Not bad, and then within a day, I saw this ad...........:confused:
I think I'll keep the G3 for comparison with the midi I have.
Have fun!

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Good score Bob. I have a threaded adapter for my tailstock to help with alignment when vacuum chucking. Mine doesn't turn though. Nova advertises an adapter on their web sit that fits in their live center system, but it is not available in the states yet. They keep extending the availability date. I have been trying to get it for over a year.

Does the adapter you have spin? If so can I ask where you picked it up. It would be handy for carving.

Bob Haverstock
12-05-2010, 6:47 AM
Good score Bob.
Does the adapter you have spin? If so can I ask where you picked it up. It would be handy for carving.

Hi Mark,

Yes, my adapter spins. I bought it from PSI, the price was $35. PSI lists it as a "Live Tailstock Chuck Adapter".

I bought originally to mount jam chucks on, athe time I was turning on a JWL1220. That is why I bought the 1" by 8 TPI thd. model.

BTW, when I make a jam chuck it starts out as blank with a 1inch X 8 TPI nut inletted and epoxied in its back. This may be overkill, but I can make jam chucks out wood that doesn't thread well.

Bob Haverstock

Kirk Miller
12-05-2010, 1:36 PM
Hi Bob I just recieved that very chuck setup in the mail with a NovaG3 as well. I decided that I could use an extra chuck, and the chuck was almost free after all the Jaws were thrown in. I plan to use that chcuck on my old Jet 10". I have a Jet 1642 on the way. I decided to have a shop built, and I think they are attaching a house as well. That is almost all finished then I get to set up the shop and get busy. I can't wait to try everything out